Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pbing to much?

Hi, I have been banded since Oct 2007 and lost most of my weight quickly. I am down 115# and feel good but my band is tempermental. I pb all of the time lately and need to go for a partial unfill, i only have 2cc in my band now. i can't eat normal. Mainly I eat yogurt, mashed potatoes and ice cream. I might have 2 good days a month where I can get a "Normal" meal down such as fish/chicken/veggies. I know this is not normal and am afraid to gain weight. If I am anxious or upset at all forget about eating or drinking at all!!! When do you find that sweet spot? It is nice to know there are others like myself. I am going to call the doc this week and try to stay on fluids only and take my prevacid regularly to see if that helps. Thanks for listening.

Hi, I have been banded since Oct 2007 and lost most of my weight quickly. I am down 115# and feel good but my band is tempermental. I pb all of the time lately and need to go for a partial unfill, i only have 2cc in my band now. i can't eat normal. Mainly I eat yogurt, mashed potatoes and ice cream. I might have 2 good days a month where I can get a "Normal" meal down such as fish/chicken/veggies. I know this is not normal and am afraid to gain weight. If I am anxious or upset at all forget about eating or drinking at all!!! When do you find that sweet spot? It is nice to know there are others like myself. I am going to call the doc this week and try to stay on fluids only and take my prevacid regularly to see if that helps. Thanks for listening.

Congrats on the weight loss success!!! Have you had that annual test to check your band to make sure everything is alright with it? If you are not too tight, it's not normal to PB all the time. I certainly hope that doesn't happen to me after 2 yrs and I have lost all my weight. Good luck to you and let us know what you find out!

PB alot is not normal. I kept making excuses for all my PB. I have a slipped band and see my surgeon this fri to discuss removal or fix options. I cannot eat anything besides sopu without PB.

In 12 years I have not had a meal that didn't hurt in some way. I'm just happy when it doesn't end in violent vomitting (not pbing, projectile vomitting). I just thing that this is the way it is. They tell me my band is fine. i just think its a flawed surgery. A bandaid for the bullet wound that is obesity.

In 12 years I have not had a meal that didn't hurt in some way. I'm just happy when it doesn't end in violent vomitting (not pbing, projectile vomitting). I just thing that this is the way it is. They tell me my band is fine. i just think its a flawed surgery. A bandaid for the bullet wound that is obesity.

I don't know how you can live that way and I'm surprised your band is still fine if you vomit frequently. Have you ever thought about or have you seen a different surgeon? I'm sorry to hear you or anyone would have to go through such a thing all the time. The couple times it happened to me when I ate wrong was more than I could tolerate. I won't ever let my band be too tight because of those experiences!!!

Hello,

I had my surgery 4/16/09 and started out with a 2cc fill. At this point I was already PBing and sliming during the first 6 weeks of banding. It felt like anything I ate was stuck in my throat, yet I was also always hungry.

I had a doctor appt on 5/26. I told my doc what was going on, but that I was also hungry all the time. He decided to give me a 1cc fill.

I now find myself PBing several times a meal with every meal. I am so tired of going into the bathroom to either slime or vomit, especially when out to dinner with family and friends. It's obvious to everyone that I'm puking. I'm pretty much in the position of having to enviously watch everyone else enjoy their meal and wishing I was able to eat even just a few bites of whatever is on my plate. Keeping a cup of food down without sliming, PBing or vomiting would be an unspeakable joy!!! No doubt everyone (including me) is wondering what in hell have I done to myself with this surgery.

Sure I love the weight loss, but I am also keenly aware that I am probably on the verge of serious malnutrition.

This isn't what I signed up for!!!

UGH, sometimes I don't think drs really listen and they don't think. You were hungry all the time, because you weren't keeping any food down, dangit! Please call and get an unfill. Let your stomach rest, so the inflammation from all the pbing can go down. After a few weeks, return to the dr and slowly begin getting fills again.

My surgeon ROUTINELY gives 4ccs at the first fill. I knew for a fact I didn't want that much. I asked for half of it, and when the PA gave me Water, it was slow going down. She immediately took one of the ccs out and I was fine after that. Good luck getting this regulated and let me know how it goes.

I don't know how you can live that way and I'm surprised your band is still fine if you vomit frequently. Have you ever thought about or have you seen a different surgeon? I'm sorry to hear you or anyone would have to go through such a thing all the time. The couple times it happened to me when I ate wrong was more than I could tolerate. I won't ever let my band be too tight because of those experiences!!!

I'm in a catch-22. I can't afford to have it removed and too afraid that my weight would balloon if I did. I already have other health problems that would be seriously worsened with weight gain. Its not like I'm thin now. I weigh around 132kg. It has only really slowed my weight gain, not stopped it. Until i had my last and first fill, I needed to eat every two hours...

I had my band unfilled in April due to pain at the site of the band, then a couple of weeks later they started slowly refilling. Before my unfill, I was doing well, i was at about 8cc and pb'ing occasionally, but not every time i ate. After being totally unfilled for a couple of weeks, I got up to 4cc for a couple weeks, then up to about 6cc. I was a little tight when I got that fill, but that seemed to be normal for the first couple days on previous fills, I would be tight for a couple days then i was great. This time, however, i started pbing after eating--sometimes it was with every bite and other times i could eat a whole meal just fine! A week ago, I had some removed (he took out 2cc, leaving me at 4). Since then I had NO MORE pbing or vomiting, no restriction at all. Yesterday I had to go back in to get the rest of it drained since I am still having pain in the pit of my stomach (where the band is)...now i know exactly where my band is, because both times that he removed fill (yesterday and a week ago), i felt pain as he drew out the saline. has anyone else felt pain when getting unfilled? I am going to have an endoscopy next week...right now, I am fully open, no fill at all...i still feel pain in the band area, feels like heat---and i feel like I am full, but still hungry if that makes sense!!!! I am so afraid that something is very wrong (slippage or erosion, i am terrified that it is erosion, why else would I have pain when being unfilled? Because it has eroded and it is pulling away???). I have not lost any weight for the past 3 months, this is too much pain and stress for a mere 35-40 lbs lost! I go up and down 5 pounds repeatedly! Any familiar stories with a happy ending would help me sleep at night, rather than scour these forums looking for answers! I have to wait a week for the scope, that is going to be a LOT of lost sleep :wink:

I'm in a catch-22. I can't afford to have it removed and too afraid that my weight would balloon if I did. I already have other health problems that would be seriously worsened with weight gain. Its not like I'm thin now. I weigh around 132kg. It has only really slowed my weight gain, not stopped it. Until i had my last and first fill, I needed to eat every two hours...

I hope you at least have it checked annually to make sure it is alright. You don't want to cause problems to your stomach or esophagus. Good luck to you.

I had my band unfilled in April due to pain at the site of the band, then a couple of weeks later they started slowly refilling. Before my unfill, I was doing well, i was at about 8cc and pb'ing occasionally, but not every time i ate. After being totally unfilled for a couple of weeks, I got up to 4cc for a couple weeks, then up to about 6cc. I was a little tight when I got that fill, but that seemed to be normal for the first couple days on previous fills, I would be tight for a couple days then i was great. This time, however, i started pbing after eating--sometimes it was with every bite and other times i could eat a whole meal just fine! A week ago, I had some removed (he took out 2cc, leaving me at 4). Since then I had NO MORE pbing or vomiting, no restriction at all. Yesterday I had to go back in to get the rest of it drained since I am still having pain in the pit of my stomach (where the band is)...now i know exactly where my band is, because both times that he removed fill (yesterday and a week ago), i felt pain as he drew out the saline. has anyone else felt pain when getting unfilled? I am going to have an endoscopy next week...right now, I am fully open, no fill at all...i still feel pain in the band area, feels like heat---and i feel like I am full, but still hungry if that makes sense!!!! I am so afraid that something is very wrong (slippage or erosion, i am terrified that it is erosion, why else would I have pain when being unfilled? Because it has eroded and it is pulling away???). I have not lost any weight for the past 3 months, this is too much pain and stress for a mere 35-40 lbs lost! I go up and down 5 pounds repeatedly! Any familiar stories with a happy ending would help me sleep at night, rather than scour these forums looking for answers! I have to wait a week for the scope, that is going to be a LOT of lost sleep :thumbup:

Those problems are rare. How long have you had the band? I would say don't worry yourself needlessly, but I'm like you and would be searching for answers too. It's probably nothing serious, but I hope they figure it out and get it right for you soon!!

I thought I'd weigh in on this pbing thing. (No pun intended) As I understand it, PB is the burping that helps food move around to get it to go down. Sliming is when it won't go down and needs to come up and out. I will talk about both.

Some days I am eating and feel the stuck feeling coming on ever so small. That's when I stop eating and wait. If I keep eating, I'm just asking for trouble. After waiting 4-6 minutes, I'm good to eat more.

Other days when I eat too fast or don't chew well, I will start bping. I must not eat another bite after my first burp cause my body is trying to unstick something. This to me means, STOP EATING NOW! If I heed the warning, I am usually fine.

Then there are times that I need to slime. When I haven't chewed well or eaten too fast and don't listen to the warning signs, I need to get it out and start over again. If I do this right away, I can come back and, after a while, eat more. If I try to hold it in and not get it out right away, I am in for a worse time! If I have to wait, then the sliming turns into projectile forcing (not vomit, cause there is never bile in it) And I am miserable for a couple of hours after that. This is when it's no fun at all having the band. But as I see it I've done it to myself by eating wrong!

To avoid these at all costs, I eat SLOW! (I have learned to eat cold food) And I tell my family that it takes me over an hour to eat 1 cup of food so they don't watch me! At a restaurant, I get a to go box right away and put aside what I can have later. Then with just a little food in front of me it's easier to eat slow.

I chew and chew and chew! Sometimes I have to spit out a piece of meat or hard stuff that will not break down. This is icky but very important!

I take the smallest bites possible, this makes it easier to chew and you can listen to your body for warning signs.

Whenever I do all the above I can eat a meal w/o running to the bathroom!

Another trick is to add slider foods between bites of dry meat and such, they will help to get your pouch working right. For example, at a Mexican restaurant I will eat a bite of chip between bites of asado. You can use Soup like this also, it gets to more solid food to slide down! Other times I will eat a few chips to get my stomach working before I sit down for dinner, it's weird but it works. (I don't mean a bag of chips, just a few!) LOL

I hope some of this helps. I am loving the band and, more importantly, learning to live with it!

I thought I'd weigh in on this pbing thing. (No pun intended) As I understand it, PB is the burping that helps food move around to get it to go down. Sliming is when it won't go down and needs to come up and out. I will talk about both.

Some days I am eating and feel the stuck feeling coming on ever so small. That's when I stop eating and wait. If I keep eating, I'm just asking for trouble. After waiting 4-6 minutes, I'm good to eat more.

Other days when I eat too fast or don't chew well, I will start bping. I must not eat another bite after my first burp cause my body is trying to unstick something. This to me means, STOP EATING NOW! If I heed the warning, I am usually fine.

Then there are times that I need to slime. When I haven't chewed well or eaten too fast and don't listen to the warning signs, I need to get it out and start over again. If I do this right away, I can come back and, after a while, eat more. If I try to hold it in and not get it out right away, I am in for a worse time! If I have to wait, then the sliming turns into projectile forcing (not vomit, cause there is never bile in it) And I am miserable for a couple of hours after that. This is when it's no fun at all having the band. But as I see it I've done it to myself by eating wrong!

To avoid these at all costs, I eat SLOW! (I have learned to eat cold food) And I tell my family that it takes me over an hour to eat 1 cup of food so they don't watch me! At a restaurant, I get a to go box right away and put aside what I can have later. Then with just a little food in front of me it's easier to eat slow.

I chew and chew and chew! Sometimes I have to spit out a piece of meat or hard stuff that will not break down. This is icky but very important!

I take the smallest bites possible, this makes it easier to chew and you can listen to your body for warning signs.

Whenever I do all the above I can eat a meal w/o running to the bathroom!

Another trick is to add slider foods between bites of dry meat and such, they will help to get your pouch working right. For example, at a Mexican restaurant I will eat a bite of chip between bites of asado. You can use Soup like this also, it gets to more solid food to slide down! Other times I will eat a few chips to get my stomach working before I sit down for dinner, it's weird but it works. (I don't mean a bag of chips, just a few!) LOL

I hope some of this helps. I am loving the band and, more importantly, learning to live with it!

We are all different, but when I feel that "should not take another bite: feeling I know I have had enough for that meal and I do not go back for more. Also, anytime I have had a PB, I was told by my Dr. not to eat any more until the next meal. Anytime one has any sort of "vomiting", they should go to liquids for the rest of the day or longer.

We are all different, but when I feel that "should not take another bite: feeling I know I have had enough for that meal and I do not go back for more. Also, anytime I have had a PB, I was told by my Dr. not to eat any more until the next meal. Anytime one has any sort of "vomiting", they should go to liquids for the rest of the day or longer.

Yes, we're different. The feeling I talked about in my post was not a "should not take another bite" feeling. I was talking about an ever so small "something might be stuck" feeling.

As far as PBing goes. The Productive Burping is your body getting rid of air so that the food can go down. After a few minutes of pbing, I can safely eat more. (I'm not saying eat too much, but being able to finish my 1 cup of food is nice.)

Slime is the food coming up because it can't go down. Again, it is not vomit. Sliming is necessary when there is a block and the food won't pass through. I find that I can eat anew after a few minutes. If you want to go to liquids that's cool too. I was just saying what has worked for me.

Yes, we're different. The feeling I talked about in my post was not a "should not take another bite" feeling. I was talking about an ever so small "something might be stuck" feeling.

As far as PBing goes. The Productive Burping is your body getting rid of air so that the food can go down. After a few minutes of pbing, I can safely eat more. (I'm not saying eat too much, but being able to finish my 1 cup of food is nice.)

Slime is the food coming up because it can't go down. Again, it is not vomit. Sliming is necessary when there is a block and the food won't pass through. I find that I can eat anew after a few minutes. If you want to go to liquids that's cool too. I was just saying what has worked for me.

I think when most people refer to PB'ing on this board they are referring to getting stuck and bringing up food. It's not vomit, but sometimes can cause a lot of stress and swelling and sure isn't fun! I think most consider it more than a burp to make food go down so they can continue eating.