Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am new to this forum so I figured I would post a topic. I had lap band surgery in Jan of 2011, lost 30 pounds and now have gained it all back. I never had restriction with my band even with all the fills I had. I will be having the RNY on Sept 10th and am worried that the same thing will happen. I fallowed the guidelines for the first 4-5 months after the lap band but after gaining weight back I went back to old habits. I am worried I will do the same with this surgery.

I was wondering how I can keep with the good habits after surgery and what you guys have done to stay focused and eating right? Especially with all the dieting I have done and failed at I am worried I will do the same with this surgery. I haven't had to do anything for my RNY surgery that I had to do with my lap band. I meet with the surgeon on Aug 27th and then 14 days later have surgery. I don't know what kind of diet I will need to follow up to surgery.

I am an ER nurse and will be out of work for 4 weeks, and have no short-term disability, which is going to suck, but I know I need this surgery to live a healthier life and be there for my kids. I have a 10 and 3 year old boys who I never have enough energy to do anything with, and I don't cook so they loose out on healthy meals because I'm to lazy and I never really learned how to cook anything that didn't come in a box.

It seems to me that peoples pre-surgery diet differ based on their surgeon. I knew I had to do a 3 week pre surgery diet. My process has taken a little longer than yours will, but the diet was VERY restrictive. 800 calories a day. 3 oz of Protein a day. Very low fat high protein. Some people have to do full liquid diets prior to surgery from what I have read on here. I only have to do full liquid the day prior. Good luck. Stay focused. You are doing this for you and for your boys.

I am new to this forum so I figured I would post a topic. I had lap band surgery in Jan of 2011' date=' lost 30 pounds and now have gained it all back. I never had restriction with my band even with all the fills I had. I will be having the RNY on Sept 10th and am worried that the same thing will happen. I fallowed the guidelines for the first 4-5 months after the lap band but after gaining weight back I went back to old habits. I am worried I will do the same with this surgery.

I was wondering how I can keep with the good habits after surgery and what you guys have done to stay focused and eating right? Especially with all the dieting I have done and failed at I am worried I will do the same with this surgery. I haven't had to do anything for my RNY surgery that I had to do with my lap band. I meet with the surgeon on Aug 27th and then 14 days later have surgery. I don't know what kind of diet I will need to follow up to surgery.

I am an ER nurse and will be out of work for 4 weeks, and have no short-term disability, which is going to suck, but I know I need this surgery to live a healthier life and be there for my kids. I have a 10 and 3 year old boys who I never have enough energy to do anything with, and I don't cook so they loose out on healthy meals because I'm to lazy and I never really learned how to cook anything that didn't come in a box.[/quote']

Welcome & thanks for being honest. If you want to learn how to cook buy a cook book & practice. I learn how to make shrimp with lobster sauce with a Chinese cook book & my family thought it taste better then eating out. There's other option when you order out instead of fried food grill-BBQ. salad instead of a side order of wings. I cook but I dont see anything wrong with box food. If that's what you know at least your feeding your family.

The gastric bypass is more difficult then lab band in my opinion. I'm not having an easy time at all. I started off bad vomiting 30 days straight. Bam! Got better ate was feeling great now 7 days non stop vomiting & everything I eat I vomit. Going for endoscopy this Friday because my doctor is worried. I finally called him. I was vomiting as he was talking to ne on the phone.

If a history of failed diets was an accurate predictor of the success of rny, I don't think there would be any successes! LOL. I doubt that there are many on this forum who cannot relate. But reality is that the surgery can be defeated. When all is said and done, it really is about life style changes. The surgery does not make those changes "easy", but it does make them "easier" and that makes all the difference in the world. You might find some useful idea about life style changes in my post The Prime Directive - http://www.rnytalk.com/topic/2477-the-prime-directive/

Welcome to the family! There are so many great folks on this forum! You're gonna love the new you!!

I am new to this forum so I figured I would post a topic. I had lap band surgery in Jan of 2011' date=' lost 30 pounds and now have gained it all back. I never had restriction with my band even with all the fills I had. I will be having the RNY on Sept 10th and am worried that the same thing will happen. I fallowed the guidelines for the first 4-5 months after the lap band but after gaining weight back I went back to old habits. I am worried I will do the same with this surgery.

I am an ER nurse and will be out of work for 4 weeks, and have no short-term disability, which is going to suck, but I know I need this surgery to live a healthier life and be there for my kids. I have a 10 and 3 year old boys who I never have enough energy to do anything with, and I don't cook so they loose out on healthy meals because I'm to lazy and I never really learned how to cook anything that didn't come in a box.[/quote']

I'm a nurse too but in L&D. I know exactly what you mean. My LapBand was in 2007, lost 100 pounds in less than a year. Band slipped from vomiting related to cholecystitis, had a lap-chole in July 2008, band revision, gained all the weight back after that. I am getting RNY on 8/13 and have the same thoughts as you. I think we need to start on a blank slate and think of this as a second chance. It's not going to be easy. Good luck on your upcoming surgery. As for the cooking, Foodnetwork is my friend. They even have videos. Hope that helps.

I agree with Jewel. This is a new start. I had RNY in 2/2004 but took on bad habits after losing 130lbs and gained 80lbs back. So I'm on my 2nd chance for a healthy life and I AM going to be successful. It's a mind set. The cooking can be learned. Lots of great cook books and food network is a great help. Websites are helpful too.

This site is a great support. We all want to succeed and are here for each other! Welcome!

Hello TAB,

I am also a nurse. Peds. I have a band placed 10/09. Slowly lost 50lbs over 2 years and that was it. Happy about that, don't get me wrong but i am still overweight! Need to loose another 70 lbs to be in a safe BMI.... Now I am having LOTS of problems with the band and have gained back 8 lbs!

I wanted to speak to your comment about cooking. Try watching someone you enjoy on the cooking channel/food network. This will help you with techniques and may inspire you to try dishes that look good to you. (healthy ones) Also, are you exercising? I found this is key for me to feel well and less exhausted. When i skip workouts I beging feeling like crap and things continue to decline. Good luck to you TAB :)