Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery For Reasons Other Than Weight-Loss

As anyone had GB for reasons other than weight-loss? I'm having surgery Aug. 7th. I have gastroparnesis and GERD. I started seeing a doctor in October 2011 for weight-loss. As I started eating healthy again ( lots of fresh veggies, etc) I started having severe stomach problems. ( which happened every time I tried to lose weight) after many test I was told my diagnosis. When I started seeing my doctor I had hoped to lose the weight with diet and exercise. After my test results the doctor recommended gastric bypass. He said the surgery would help my condition. There are few medicines for gastroparnesis. The one that helped has sever side effects. So, I decided to have surgery. My starting weight (oct.) was 255. My current weight is 215. Hoping to lose another 70-80 pounds and be pain-free.

Good luck to you my reason for teh surgery is basically to help get me off meds for diabetes and hbp colesteral i am a truck driver and if my diabetes gets any worse i would need insulin and will not be able to get a DOT medical card ..My surgery is Aug 22nd my starting weight was 301 i am currently 277

I think you'll find many people on this forum who have had GB for lots of reasons in addition to weight loss. In my case, hypertension, diabetes, CAD and sleep apnea. And every single one of those problems have virtually disappeared. Better health is the name of the game and weight loss is a BIG part of better health. Welcome to the family! You're most certainly in the right place and you're gonna love the new, healthier you!!

Thanks. I'm looking forward to feeling better, looking better and being medicine free. This is a great site. Lots of great information and people.

I got married when I was 41 and we had a daughter 4 years later when I was 45 and my wife was 40.(I'm almost 49 now). 14 months ago my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer.She went thru surgery and chemo, in fact she had her chemo port removed 2 weeks ago. Right now she's doing pretty good but there always feels like there's a cloud hanging over our heads. It got me thinking, with my wife's health up in the air and me tipping the scales at 325lbs, that neither one of us might not be here in 10yrs. The thought of leaving our daughter here alone pushed me over the hump. My surgery is scheduled for Aug 8.

A story of true courage and commitment. Welcome to the family and thank you for sharing. We're all here to help you in your journey and our thoughts and prayers go out to your wife.

I had my surgery because I had way high blood pressure and was on 2 different meds two times a day to try and lower it... And I'm 24 now but started the pills when I was 22.

@DLCoggin, Thanks for the kind words. I've read alot of your posts and you are always very supportive and encouraging to everyone and you put out alot of great info, which I know everyone appreciates. Keep up the great job!

I got married when I was 41 and we had a daughter 4 years later when I was 45 and my wife was 40.(I'm almost 49 now). 14 months ago my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer.She went thru surgery and chemo, in fact she had her chemo port removed 2 weeks ago. Right now she's doing pretty good but there always feels like there's a cloud hanging over our heads. It got me thinking, with my wife's health up in the air and me tipping the scales at 325lbs, that neither one of us might not be here in 10yrs. The thought of leaving our daughter here alone pushed me over the hump. My surgery is scheduled for Aug 8.

Good luck and i hope your wife will be cancer free and you both live a long happy life only 8 days till your new beginning for your family congrats and welcome