Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just told to go to a psychologist. The one I went to spoke to me for less than 5 minutes. His nurse had the surgery 9 years and we talked about the surgery and my expectations for about it for 45 minutes. She told the dr that I had researched the surgery and that I seemed like a good candidate and he signed off on it. that was my easiest appointment.

Basically they want to make sure your depression and anxiety symptoms are being treated before surgery either with therapy or medication. Symptoms of depression and anxiety left untreated after surgery can tend to increase in severity since surgery is such a huge transition. As sucky as it is, she/he just wants you completely prepared for surgery. Hang in there :)

With that being said, you could always get a second opinion if need be! Good luck!

Wow that's crazy. I'm with everyone else u should get a 2nd opinion. I had my my evaluation a week ago and it took about 15 min. I also was given some questions to answer but they were vey basic. Prior to my decision to get wls, I suffered from depression and was on medication. I told the therapist about my past and she understood. I've made great strides In dealing with it. Well that being said I passed. All hope is not lost u can deal with depression and still be a great wls candidate.

I was flagged for some of my questions during the psy evaluations - such as night eating and the doctor wanted saved he would approve me but I still needed to come back for a follow up. During the follow up he pointed out some issues I might run into given my past etc and he was right. My first month after surgery was not easy - I thought I was going to pull a brittney and cut all of my hair off!!

Mine eval almost didn't get passed bc he said I was unreasonable to have 130 lbs as a goal (I'm 5'6") and that I hoped to lose 100 lbs in one year. It sounds like alot of us had issues. I wish you all the best and if it takes longer than maybe it was meant to be for some reason.

I was flagged for some of my questions during the psy evaluations - such as night eating and the doctor wanted saved he would approve me but I still needed to come back for a follow up. During the follow up he pointed out some issues I might run into given my past etc and he was right. My first month after surgery was not easy - I thought I was going to pull a brittney and cut all of my hair off!!

Lmao @ the last part!

Lmao @ the last part!

I am worrid about my appt. To the pysh because my weight as all ways been something for me but I am ready to get the bypass and know it is time for me to change my life for ever. And if I know what I have to go with so will my dr let me have my bypass

Sent from my iPod touch using RNYTalk

So, it turns out I can't get a second opinion, But, It's alright, It's only six months. I'm going to start going to another Psych, one who specializes in obesity related depression and anxiety. I didn't know that existed until today, lol. I'm still disappointed, but at the same time I'm a little relieved, it seemed that things were moving too fast anyway, and now I can also get the help that I need, and in January right after my 21st birthday, I'll get to start the new life that I will deserve, and I'll be in the right mind to be able to succeed with the tool that I will be given.

On a side note, I got my blood tests back, I have low Vitamin D, and The bacteria H. Pylori. So I have to take a crazy expensive Antibiotic for 14 day, and be on horse pills of Vitamin D for the rest of my life.

So' date=' it turns out I can't get a second opinion, But, It's alright, It's only six months. I'm going to start going to another Psych, one who specializes in obesity related depression and anxiety. I didn't know that existed until today, lol. I'm still disappointed, but at the same time I'm a little relieved, it seemed that things were moving too fast anyway, and now I can also get the help that I need, and in January right after my 21st birthday, I'll get to start the new life that I will deserve, and I'll be in the right mind to be able to succeed with the tool that I will be given.

On a side note, I got my blood tests back, I have low Vitamin D, and The bacteria H. Pylori. So I have to take a crazy expensive Antibiotic for 14 day, and be on horse pills of Vitamin D for the rest of my life.[/quote']

Hi Sparklette,

You will notice a lot of people with weight issues have low Vitamin D. We actually talked about that in one of my support groups. Not sure y! Mine was a 12 and they put me on 5,000 units (green pill) a day for 6 months just to try to get it to a normal low. This is going to be a great time to use the 6 months to prepare for surgery. I would find local support group to attend so you will know what to expect - the good and bad. I actually said goodbye to all my favorite foods before having the surgery - lol.

Hi Sparklette,

You will notice a lot of people with weight issues have low Vitamin D. We actually talked about that in one of my support groups. Not sure y! Mine was a 12 and they put me on 5,000 units (green pill) a day for 6 months just to try to get it to a normal low. This is going to be a great time to use the 6 months to prepare for surgery. I would find local support group to attend so you will know what to expect - the good and bad. I actually said goodbye to all my favorite foods before having the surgery - lol.

They have me on 8 weeks of 10,000 units a day, then down to 5,000 for the rest of my life.

Vitamin D is extracted from the blood by fat cells, altering its release into the circulation. People with a BMI

of 30 or greater often have low blood levels of Vitamin D.

Getting out in the sunshine helps with Vitamin D, they say low Vita D contributes to depression.

I had to take 15,000 iu a day for 6mths. My #s returned to normal and I haven't taken anymore since. I also had extremely low B12, so I also had to give myself B12 shots every week.

It will become routine, and who knows may help with your depression...:)

I also have very low Vitamin D levels. Currently I take 50,000 units twice a week and the other five days a week I take 2,000 units. This is supposed to continue for at least two more months. I have found that it makes me nauseous so I take it right before bed in order to sleep through that. I was told as I loose weight, it may regulate and my body will hold on to more D.

Sent from my VS920 4G using RNYTalk

I have to also. 50,000 once a week. I try as much as possible to get out. I also have a office with no windows so I don't think that helps very much.