Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass Vs. Vertical Sleeve?!

Hi guys! I'm new here. I was very much acclimated and a part of the vertical sleeve talk forum and was considering getting that surgery for some time now. Well, today I found out that only gastric bypass surgery is covered. I'm going to go ahead with the gastric bypass, but I have some concerns!

I keep hearing that post-op gastric bypass patients usually suffer from inadequate nutrients and absorption and often can't even get themselves to eat. I also hear the healing time is longer. What I liked about the VSG surgery was less healing time and less invasive.

In your opinion, what was the deciding factor for you in terms of choosing the bypass rather than the sleeve or the lapband?

You lose more and keep more off with bypass. Plus you get a better "tool" with bypass. Dumping sucks but it sure keeps you from messing up. I'm scared go death to way sweets which is my biggest weakness. There's no going back from the sleeve they remove most of your stomach. I know my parts are all still there albeit a little jumbled around.

One thing that stuck with me is also not as much weight loss. At the seminar I attended he said they total remove the stomach with the sleeve and with the bypass it stays in. So later on with your older if by any chance you. Need a feeding tube then you still have your stomach

I also was originally going to have the VSG. Due to some esophagus issues that came up with the endoscopy, I founf out I was no longer a candidate for it. Seems that if they need to make repairs to the esophagus, they use stomach muscle. I am going to have

the gastric bypass next week.

Risk vs reward for me. I was dead set on the VSG but after doing a TON of research te GB made more sense :)

Off to my pre op nutritionist apt :)

Here's a summary of a post that I did a while back comparing the two surgeries.

• Everything I've read leads me to believe that the two surgeries (RNY and Sleeve) are roughly comparable with their own advantages and disadvantages.
  • Sleeve is strictly restrictive. RNY uses restriction and malabsorption.
  • Most studies seem to give RNY the nod for the most weight lost in the shortest time, and for the best long-term success rates, but not by huge margins.
  • Although seldom done, RNY is theoretically reversible. The sleeve is not reversible since 75% to 85% of the stomach is removed.
  • RNY changes the path that the food takes, bypassing a portion of the small intestine which results in some malabsorption and makes nutritional supplements absolutely imperative - for life. The sleeve does not alter the path of the food and does not bypass any part of the intestine and as a result, has a lower risk of malnutrition.
  • Along the same line as above, since the sleeve does not alter the food path, there is no dumping syndrome with the sleeve. Dumping does not occur in all RNY patients but it is common.
  • Both surgeries appear to be equally safe but the sleeve is less invasive and can be completed more quickly than RNY.
  • The sleeve is relatively new so there is much less data available regarding long-term effectiveness. At least in part for this reason, some insurance companies do not currently cover the sleeve. That will likely change over time as more long term data becomes available.
  • RNY continues to be the most popular bariatric surgery worldwide - about 80% of all bariatric surgeries are RNY.

There is an excellent article on WebMD that you can find at http://www.webmd.com...king-the-choice for more information.

Thanks so much to everyone who replied. It's going to be a tough ride trying to convince my family that the gastric bypass surgery is safe in the long run. Initially, I was going to have the sleeve surgery, but it turns out my insurance only covers the gastric bypass. My younger sister is actually having the sleeve surgery done July 25th this month, and it was a long journey for her, so she and my mother had plenty of time to research the sleeve and my mom is not familiar with the bypass. My uncle had the bypass, and has lost well over 100 pounds, and his diabetes is gone, and he works out 5x a week, but he ended up in the hospital a few times due to Vitamin deficiency and not wanting to eat (no appetite). He is also 67 though. Not saying that's a bad thing, but I feel since I am in my late 20's, hopefully the surgery will be a little easier on my body. I hope. I keep trying to tell my mother there's complications even with the sleeve surgery, but she seems to think the sleeve is a safer route. She literally keeps telling me, "don't do it, you don't want to be going to the hospital for Iron infusions for the rest of your life". LOL. Ok, so she's a little dramatic, right? At least I hope?

I'm ready for weight loss surgery. I'd take the sleeve or the bypass, but def not the lapband. My only concern with the bypass is Vitamin deficiency, especially if I plan on having a baby in the next 5-6 years. Is vitamin deficiency something everyone experiences?

Regardless of what anyone says, I'm going to do what I feel is right for ME :)

First and foremost, Vitamin deficit issues can easily be resolved I you take your Vitamins. Get good nutrition and follow the rules.

Just e sure to do what your nutritionist says and you will be fine!!

Mom sounds like - well...a Mom! LOL! She's done the research on the sleeve so perhaps she's up for doing the same for RNY? If she is, it might help alleviate some of her concerns. There is a LOT of long-term data on RNY - much more than there is on sleeve because sleeve is still relatively new. There is solid 3-year data on sleeve. There is solid 30+ year data on RNY. Here are some sites (there are many more) that she might want to start with:

All surgeries have risks. There simply are no absolute guarantees. But if Mom is willing, I think that she'll find that when all is said is done, the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor for a life-changing experience that both of you will look back on knowing that it was a good decision.

DLCoggin makes a great bunch of points. In the medical field I make risk vs reward decisions for patients every day and so I always look at things in those terms. I don't know your medical hx or issues but I can tell you that DLCoggin is right about the studies. The benefits for most FAR outweigh the risks.

Just the CAD disease drop is worth a huge weight on scale but throw in diabetics and the renal issue and you threw a Mac truck on that scale. I'm not even talking ADL stuff like mobility. If you sit down and write it all out with mom I am confident that with a little research not only will she be ok with the surgery but happy that your removing co-morbid factors from your life!!!

Great post coggin

Mom sounds like - well...a Mom! LOL! She's done the research on the sleeve so perhaps she's up for doing the same for RNY? If she is' date=' it might help alleviate some of her concerns. There is a LOT of long-term data on RNY - much more than there is on sleeve because sleeve is still relatively new. There is solid 3-year data on sleeve. There is solid 30+ year data on RNY. Here are some sites (there are many more) that she might want to start with:

[*']http://www.hsph.harv...vention-source/ (Harvard School of Public Health)

[*]http://www.webmd.com/

[*]http://asmbs.org/ (American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery)

[*]http://iom.edu/Repor...Prevention.aspx (Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Science)

[*]http://www.wlslifestyles.com/ (This is a digital magazine with an ENORMOUS amount of information on weight loss surgery. Cost is 19.95 for a one year subscription and imho that's a real bargain.)

All surgeries have risks. There simply are no absolute guarantees. But if Mom is willing, I think that she'll find that when all is said is done, the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor for a life-changing experience that both of you will look back on knowing that it was a good decision.

Wonderful advice! Thank you :)

DLCoggin makes a great bunch of points. In the medical field I make risk vs reward decisions for patients every day and so I always look at things in those terms. I don't know your medical hx or issues but I can tell you that DLCoggin is right about the studies. The benefits for most FAR outweigh the risks.

Just the CAD disease drop is worth a huge weight on scale but throw in diabetics and the renal issue and you threw a Mac truck on that scale. I'm not even talking ADL stuff like mobility. If you sit down and write it all out with mom I am confident that with a little research not only will she be ok with the surgery but happy that your removing co-morbid factors from your life!!!

Great post coggin

Thanks for the wonderful advice! It's great to hear from positive people who have done their research extensively :)

You most certainly are welcome!

Ahh he beat me again!!

Ditto lol your welcome

Ahh he beat me again!!

Ditto lol your welcome

Hey David! You mentioned that you're in the medical field. I'm curious what part of the "biz" you're in if you'd care to or PM me.