Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I had my first consult with the Psychologist at the Bariatric Clinic and have started all my pre-op requirements. She mentioned she thinks I am a better candidate for gastric bypass whereas I "pick" all day (and night) and she feels I could get around the band too easily. She told me not to worry and that she would be discussing my case with the group and their aim is to get me on the road to weight loss, but I am very concerned about this new development as I have NO desire for the bypass and I told her absolutely not.

She told me to go on with all my tests as usual and I will be starting with the nutritionist next week and they will get a "plan" together for me!!!

Just wondering what your ideas are on this situation?

I do take Celexa for depression and she seems to think I need to get to the bottom of my eating problem first or all.

I think that only you can know what is best for you, however, I can say that for me, the band has guided me towards not picking at food all day because I really am not that hungry anymore ! I do not think constantly about food like I used to. I have to be the one to say "NO" to overeating and to avoid lots of "junk food", but the band has been a great friend in helping with making the right decisions. Good luck and I think that you should really consider what is best for you before going either way.

-95 pounds banded 4/18/2006

Thank you Jack and Kay for your kind words!

As of March 6, my insurance is changing their policy regarding approving bariatric surgery w/o 1 yr. of supervised diet program, so one minute they are rushing me to get my testing done so that they can get this approved before the deadline, next minute I am left in limbo..very confusing. :phanvan

Well, I start my nutrition counseling next week and will get more answers.

Thanks again.

Jack, I do agree with you regarding differences in opinion, so I am taking this with a grain of salt.

Just research both and go with what you feel is right. Band is slower weight loss and its reversible. Bypass is fast weight loss and roto rootering your insides.

Jules...I agree with you 100%. ...I flat out told the psyghologist I want no part of the bypass.

We'll see what happens next week.

I would say it really depends on you.. My sister and I went together for our consult... I chose Lapband.. I was just banded on Jan 26th.. She chose Gastro.. She will have her surgery Feb 5th...I felt lapband was safer and I liked the fact of the quick recovery.. I was released from the hospital on Sat... Sun I was at the mall getting my nails done... Today I went back to work.. I feel great besides the gas pains

Hi, I had gastric bypass in aug, 1995 everything went well the recovery was a little more than I had thought, It took about 3 weeks to feel good again I lost all of my weight and then some. and kept it off until 2002 when I got pregnant and put on 60 pounds and the next year I had another baby and added an additional 20 pounds to my 60. and it just did not seem to go away. I was banned on the 24th of Jan. Because I had the previous gastric my lapband took 4 hrs. I think that is why it has taken me longer to recover. today is one week and the first day I feel like myself. on the good side it has been 1 week and I have lost 12lbs!

What is your reserve on gastric?

Lauri-Ann

If you are researching options, consider, too, the duodenal switch. A couple of us here have been revised FROM the band TO the DS.

www.duodenalswitch.com

It is MORE invasive. However, from one "grazer" to another, it is in my experience, the ONLY reason I am still losing weight instead of regaining.

Whichevr you choose, I hope you get the right one the first time out....having to have two surgeries for one purpose is NOT fun!

Sue

Maryrose.... I am a compulsive overeater and I know that it is very easy to eat around the band if you want to. The band does get rid of physical hunger, but if you are like me it will do nothing for head hunger. I still tended to eat past "full or comfortable" because of this. I knew it was not good for my band and every time I did it I swore to myself it would not happen again, but of course it did. If I could do it over I would concentrate a little more on getting counseling for the reasons why I eat. Which I am doing now. I think if that is your issue and you take care of it before the band I can see no reason why you wouldn't be successful with the band. For me, I would try anything before gastric, that would be my last resort. Keep asking yourself questions and you will eventually come up with the right decision for you. Don't let anyone, even a doctor talk you into anything you aren't 100% comfortable with. Good luck on your journey.