Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Regret The Surgery?

Thank you Mbrock ! I have been going through the steps to have the bypass surgery and everywhere I go everyone is so happy with no regrets. I'm glad to know there is at least one person that regrets it. I just want to be sure to make a well informed decision and it's difficult if you only hear good things. It actually kind of scared me a little because I was sure someone out there must regret it. I'm very worried I might be one of those people so I'm thinking very long and hard about it. Thanks again for your honesty, it is very much h appreciated.

Thank you to shellb as well ! We who are considering WLS want to hear the bad as well as the good. I was originally considering the sleeve but due to reflux issues my surgeon recommended bypass surgery. I don't know why but I found this to be a scarier option. So I will continue investigating. I'm going to a support meeting the 13 th I'm hoping I will find some answers there as well. Thanks to all here for sharing their experiences good and bad.

My sister had Roux n Y back when it was first introduced, I think it was back in the early 2000's. She weighed 375lbs or so at the time. Yes, it did save her life but, she no longer enjoys food but still craves it immensely. Every time she eats at family gatherings, she eats too quickly or too much and then she heads up to the bathroom. food is no longer a joy for her body but her mind won’t cooperate. My sister bows out of family holiday gatherings because they no longer appeal to her since she can't join in with the rest of us during dinner. Now she drinks a lot of red wine...a lot. It gives her that high that food used to do for her. My sister is no longer the fun person she was. I miss her. Recently I asked her if it was reversible and she said no. In all honestly, I want my sister back. The one who enjoyed life. She said she would be dead without the Roux n Y but she's not living life like she wants.

Just saying it like I see it.

@@NJS36

Roux en Y was first introduced in the late 60's and then done laprascopically in the early 90's.

Your sister needs therapy.

Just saying it like I see it.

Edited by Ashlegal

I had mine 7.5 months ago. Ended up having a leak that was discovered a week and a half later. By that time I was septic and had a 9cm abscess. I went into kidney failure and was on dialysis for 6 weeks. I nearly died. I spent the entire summer going through various procedures (over 30) and the leak never healed. I ended up having my stomach removed entirely. While I have lost 125 pounds and I like my new weight, every day I question my last minute decision to switch from the band to a VSG. Looking back doesn't help because I can't change it but I do wonder if that fateful decision wasn't the worst I ever made.