Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confirmed Once Again: Roux-En-Y Helps Resolve Diabetes

To jeanaloveskisses: As I read your post it was as if I had written it myself....Pre surgery I was diabetic.Now, I am hypoglocemic. Some can control this with diet. After consulting my doc it appears there is a small (but growing) percentage of patients where diet doesn't correct the issue. (me being one of those). After much research (googling hypoglocemic after gastric surgery) there is a really long name for what we have and it will explain all the details... In my particular situation, I can live with it or have my pancreas removed!!! And, the diabetes could return afterwards so I am not ready to take that leap;)I did find it interesting that over time this condition gets worse. It has affected my life dramatically as the symptoms are less noticeable over time which is scary! Anyway...research, research, research, and get your A1C checked quarterly....There are solutions and I don't mean to scare you; as each individual is different, but pls. don't take it lightly...Best of luck and praying diet alone will rectify your situation:)

To jeanaloveskisses: As I read your post it was as if I had written it myself....Pre surgery I was diabetic.Now, I am hypoglocemic. Some can control this with diet. After consulting my doc it appears there is a small (but growing) percentage of patients where diet doesn't correct the issue. (me being one of those). After much research (googling hypoglocemic after gastric surgery) there is a really long name for what we have and it will explain all the details... In my particular situation, I can live with it or have my pancreas removed!!! And, the diabetes could return afterwards so I am not ready to take that leap;)I did find it interesting that over time this condition gets worse. It has affected my life dramatically as the symptoms are less noticeable over time which is scary! Anyway...research, research, research, and get your A1C checked quarterly....There are solutions and I don't mean to scare you; as each individual is different, but pls. don't take it lightly...Best of luck and praying diet alone will rectify your situation:)

Erica, I also suffer occasionally from hypoglycemia but in my case it is usually easily avoided with diet and on those occasions that my sugar does drop too low, it has been easily rectified by eating something (exactly what does not seem to make much difference as long as it has some sugar).

Here is a link to a very recent study from the University of Cincinatti -

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-03-exaggerated-insulin-response-subset-bariatric.html .

And this link refers to the same study with a slightly different approach toward explaning their findings -

http://www.healio.com/endocrinology/diabetes/news/online/%7B570bedca-38a7-46bc-8cb9-9a5b97379fb2%7D/islet-function-insulin-clearance-affect-patients-after-gastric-bypass .

I would be very grateful if you could share links that you have identified from your research to other sources of information on hypoglycemia following gastric bypass. As they say, "knowledge is power"!

Thanks so much!!

Good to know I'm not alone in this. My doctor changed my meds again but I was still having the occasional low sugar drop.

I had surgery on my foot three weeks ago and my blood sugar took a nose dive a couple of times when one of my nurses came on with my daily dose of metformin. His words were something like "Here is your metformin but you do know that you have the right to refuse any medication don't you?" I took the hint and began refusing my diabetic meds. I was in hospital for two weeks and home one week now and still not taking any diabetic medication. My blood sugar has been perfect each and every time I test. I have had no bouts of low blood sugar. I have an appt with my doctor on the 30th. Hoping she is in agreement with me stopping my diabetic meds.

Incomsulting with the American Diabetes Assoc., they indicated that this "new" finding of more and more gastric patients developing hypoglycemia usually gets worse ad the passes. Not good new, I know....but a kind word of warning...please....keep an eye on your sugar levels....Symptoms become less obvious... This has cost my career, along with Dr o much more....be as educated as possible...best of luck to u all;)

Doctor took me off diabetic meds in April. the only prescription I have to take now is Gabapentin for the neuropathy. So very, very Happy!

So glad to follow u on this roller coaster ride. I too am a diabetic and am glad to know the signs. Glad to know what to watch for. Thanks so much for sharing!