Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi all - I'm in the process of starting a new part of my weight loss journey... from band to bypass. Any feedback from those who have experienced the revision surgery? successes? problems? Some will ask, "why the revision?"... well, I have been disappointed with the band - after fills, etc. even my surgeon believes it's time for me to go the bypass route. It's been there since 2008, but I have struggled - up and down, up and down. I gained back some of my weight, but not all of it. It's equally emotional as it is physical, so therapy has been helpful in terms of understanding the "why" behind my weight gain. I guess the band, as a tool, has been moderately helpful. Anywho........I'm hoping for input and advice about the revision and experiences before/after. Thanks :)

hi all - I'm in the process of starting a new part of my weight loss journey... from band to bypass. Any feedback from those who have experienced the revision surgery? successes? problems? Some will ask' date=' "why the revision?"... well, I have been disappointed with the band - after fills, etc. even my surgeon believes it's time for me to go the bypass route. It's been there since 2008, but I have struggled - up and down, up and down. I gained back some of my weight, but not all of it. It's equally emotional as it is physical, so therapy has been helpful in terms of understanding the "why" behind my weight gain. I guess the band, as a tool, has been moderately helpful. Anywho........I'm hoping for input and advice about the revision and experiences before/after. Thanks :)[/quote']

I too am in the process, I am waiting to see if my insurance will cover it. I had a baby after I was banded and now my baby is 2 and I'm about 15lbs from where I was when I got banded!! Not to mention my band has slightly slipped so here I go again ---- hope I get an answer next week ause waiting is for the birds!!

Hey there, I am a former bandster (lapband surgery 8/2008) recently convered to RNY; I am now 17 days post op and have not experienced any problems as of yet. I had many issues with my band from the get-go which is why it decided to convert to RNY. I did experience some success with the band losing 89 pounds but then I regained about 20 back due to the band slipping slightly. After about a year of another surgeon sending me for a multitude of tests I had enough.

So far I'm down about 29 lbs and hoping for a continued path of success. The recovery process for me has been no worse than the recovery process with the band. I think I have learned a lot more this time around about nutrition, about what exactly my body needs to heal and strive.

Wishing you both the best of luck on your WLS journey. Crossing my fingers no snags with the insurance companies!

Hey there' date=' I am a former bandster (lapband surgery 8/2008) recently convered to RNY; I am now 17 days post op and have not experienced any problems as of yet. I had many issues with my band from the get-go which is why it decided to convert to RNY. I did experience some success with the band losing 89 pounds but then I regained about 20 back due to the band slipping slightly. After about a year of another surgeon sending me for a multitude of tests I had enough.

So far I'm down about 29 lbs and hoping for a continued path of success. The recovery process for me has been no worse than the recovery process with the band. I think I have learned a lot more this time around about nutrition, about what exactly my body needs to heal and strive.

Wishing you both the best of luck on your WLS journey. Crossing my fingers no snags with the insurance companies![/quote']

Congratulations!! And 29lbs is awesome!! Did your insurance cover it?? I was told I should know next week and I'm so anxious!!

Thank you :) its nice to see the scale going back down lol.

My insurance initially denied it; but my surgeon sent in an appeal and some how pushed it through. It literally took me a month from when we decided we would do the revision to the actual surgery date. I was fortunate!

Thanks so much to all of you who responded. I heard this past Friday that the insurance approved and that I need only to visit the nutritionist before they send me to the surgeon to schedule the bypass. I'm amazed that they (the insurance or the weight mgmt clinic/hospital) didn't want me in a longer pre-op period. I assume because it's a revision...? Not sure how long it'll be between THIS coming Wed (when I see the nutritionist) and the surgery is scheduled, but I'm super excited!

Thanks so much to all of you who responded. I heard this past Friday that the insurance approved and that I need only to visit the nutritionist before they send me to the surgeon to schedule the bypass. I'm amazed that they (the insurance or the weight mgmt clinic/hospital) didn't want me in a longer pre-op period. I assume because it's a revision...? Not sure how long it'll be between THIS coming Wed (when I see the nutritionist) and the surgery is scheduled' date=' but I'm super excited![/quote']

That's awesome!!! Keep us posted!! The dr's office said I should know if I'm approved this week and I am soooo anxious, I hope it's as easy as yours is!! Who is your insurance, if you don't mind me asking. What's your weight and goal weight?

That's awesome too - good luck!! :) I'm anxious too! My insurance is blue cross/blue shield of NC. When I had the band in 2008 it was with a different ins co (I had a different employer). From what I've read (and from what my weight mgmt clinic said), insurances usually only pay for one bariatric procedure. So....I guess having different insurance did the trick for me. At 315 now (6'3) - highest was 365. Lowest so far was about 265-270. Would like to be 220, but we'll see what the nutritionist says on Wed. I'm not sure what to expect. Just watched some awesome before/after vlogs on YouTube. You should search "before after gastric bypass" --- amazing!!!!! I'll keep you updated :) pls do the same. Warm wishes.

Ohh had not heard abt utube showing all about this! Didn't even think abt it! Will ck out for sure! Thanks! Good luck to you both on your new surgery dates!

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

I had a similar experience with my revision surgery. I do believe the fact that i have a different insurance company now then I did with the Lapband made it easier for me to get the approval. I literally waited just a matter of weeks from the time I met with my surgeon to the actual surgery date.

I wish you both the best of luck :)

Interesting Mary818! So your surgeon didn't make you wait after draining your band? I've heard/read that some surgeons will drain the band, make you wait a couple of months, and then do the bypass. Not sure why especially if the band is drained - I mean, the doctor is just removing it.

Interesting Mary818! So your surgeon didn't make you wait after draining your band? I've heard/read that some surgeons will drain the band' date=' make you wait a couple of months, and then do the bypass. Not sure why especially if the band is drained - I mean, the doctor is just removing it.[/quote']

R u serious? I don't want to wait even longer, my band is filled but doesn't work, I can eat ALMOST everything except steaks and burgers! IF I can ever get my answer I want to go straight into surgery!! (I'm getting a bit frustrated and I didn't get a call today- booo!)

I agree - I'd prefer not to wait! I can't recall where I heard/read that. I might be mistaken. I go to the nutritionist Wednesday and will ask her. My surgeon didn't mention it when I met with him last month. He did say that he may have to do two procedures - - as a potential complication...meaning if he needs (for whatever reason) to take out the band in one procedure and then do another surgery to do the bypass. I'm SO hoping it can all be done at once.

pulling for you!!! hope you hear tomorrow :)

Thanks -- me too cause I'm so discouraged today-- I want to do the HAPPY dance!! Good luck with ur nutritionist, ask lots of questions and then tell us all about it :) as for the surgery, hope it can all be done at once but at least he has a PLAN so don't worry

Hi guys, to clarify... I had been having issues with throwing up with my band for so long there was nothing in my band the last few months! My surgeon actually removed some residual fill about a week before my surgery and that was it!

I have heard some instances where folks get the band out first and then bypass done after but I'm not sure under what circumstances that would be done.

I'm now 3 weeks post op and feeling like this was the best choice I made! It was a rough first 2 weeks but I think I turned the corner this past week.

I really hope you guys can get through this process as fast and as stress free as I have so far! I know what it feels like to be in your shoes! Cannot wait till I hear you guys are approved and ready to go for your all in one revisions :)