Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Journey Starting In 3 Days!

Hi, I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Tatiana or Ty. I got a Lapband in June 2008 and lost 50lbs. But I could never get in that green zone and my band was always too loose or too tight and I got sick A LOT. I ended up gaining all my weight back plus some and started getting chest pain and nose bleeds from vomiting so much. After 4 years of struggling with the band I finally made that phone call that I hope will change my life forever. Right now I am 3 days away from getting my Lapband revised to a RNY gastric bypass and I'm not gonna lie, I'm terrified. I want to do this, I need to, but the risks scare me and permanency of it scares me as well. I'm taking something that's working perfectly fine and choosing rip it up. I just want to know that I'll still be me after surgery. That I won't feel like I've had my insides rearranged. I don't know, I just want to know if I'll feel "normal" after surgery. That's the scary part for me. All the changes in diet and excercise and Vitamins I can handle, I feel like I've been there before but I've just got to amp it up this time around. From what I understand the pain will be worse this time, and recovery will be longer, but the success rate is greater. Anyway, just wanted to express my thoughts as I sit here trying to mentally and physically prepare myself for Tuesday. Thanks.

Hi, I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Tatiana or Ty. I got a Lapband in June 2008 and lost 50lbs. But I could never get in that green zone and my band was always too loose or too tight and I got sick A LOT. I ended up gaining all my weight back plus some and started getting chest pain and nose bleeds from vomiting so much. After 4 years of struggling with the band I finally made that phone call that I hope will change my life forever. Right now I am 3 days away from getting my Lapband revised to a RNY gastric bypass and I'm not gonna lie, I'm terrified. I want to do this, I need to, but the risks scare me and permanency of it scares me as well. I'm taking something that's working perfectly fine and choosing rip it up. I just want to know that I'll still be me after surgery. That I won't feel like I've had my insides rearranged. I don't know, I just want to know if I'll feel "normal" after surgery. That's the scary part for me. All the changes in diet and excercise and Vitamins I can handle, I feel like I've been there before but I've just got to amp it up this time around. From what I understand the pain will be worse this time, and recovery will be longer, but the success rate is greater. Anyway, just wanted to express my thoughts as I sit here trying to mentally and physically prepare myself for Tuesday. Thanks.

Hi Ty! My name is Kristen. I understand being scared out of your mind. My surgery is May 1, and I'm worried about just getting through the liqid prep. I had a "gastroplasty" years ago where they opened me up, put in 3 rows of staples and a ring at the bottom. Of course, that all fell apart and now, I'm going to have a bypass where they are going to open me up from the old scar. I'm 57 years old, with bad legs which limits my walking, I weigh 276 and I'm scared out of my mind. I'm not saying mine will be worse, but I'm saying this is a great group of folks and they'll help us get through this. If I can help you in any way, please let me know.

Hello, I am brand new to this just joined this site today, been looking at it for weeks! It helped me with the decision to continue with the surgery. I had received my date on Tuesday, June 5! I have the exact same thoughts as you. Except I have never had surgery before! Scared out of my mind but excited at the same time!!!

Hi kmiller this sight has helped me prepare for my surgery which is April 23rd. It is so informative and everyone here is willing to give suggestions and support. We will all get through this together.

Hi kmiller this sight has helped me prepare for my surgery which is April 23rd. It is so informative and everyone here is willing to give suggestions and support. We will all get through this together.

To give you encouragement, I had a lap band placed in 2008.. It led to all sorts of swallowing problems, gained my weight back a nd got sicker than a dog. Nobody would touch me to reverse the damned thing or do a gastric bypass.. Well I pushed and found a Dr. Argued with and insurance. That was one year age.

Now about 110 lbs lighter and later life is great!! Fear is normal and the pain is minimal with a laparoscopic approach. I was home 48 hrs after surgery, ( actually to the hotel),and caught a plane home in a week.. I felt run down for a few weeks, but quickly ack to work...I consistently lost 15-20 lbs a month until I got to 165 lbs . I run a couple of miles a day don't take any medicines and all of my medical problems are gone gone gone!! I go to my family Dr yearly now and my surgeon cut me loose except for an annual follow up, ( surgery was done at a university hospital ). Best damned thing that happened to me!!

I think about what I eat most of the time.. If I over eat or eat too much fat or sugar my gut hurts enough to stop that, but no worries.. The buggiest thing is attitude.. It n

Makes all the difference

Regards

Joel

Hello' date=' I am brand new to this just joined this site today, been looking at it for weeks! It helped me with the decision to continue with the surgery. I had received my date on Tuesday, June 5! I have the exact same thoughts as you. Except I have never had surgery before! Scared out of my mind but excited at the same time!!![/quote']

Don't panic you will do great!! I had surgery one year ago.. Just got home from running a couple of miles!

To give you encouragement' date=' I had a lap band placed in 2008.. It led to all sorts of swallowing problems, gained my weight back a nd got sicker than a dog. Nobody would touch me to reverse the damned thing or do a gastric bypass.. Well I pushed and found a Dr. Argued with and insurance. That was one year age.

Now about 110 lbs lighter and later life is great!! Fear is normal and the pain is minimal with a laparoscopic approach. I was home 48 hrs after surgery, ( actually to the hotel),and caught a plane home in a week.. I felt run down for a few weeks, but quickly ack to work...I consistently lost 15-20 lbs a month until I got to 165 lbs . I run a couple of miles a day don't take any medicines and all of my medical problems are gone gone gone!! I go to my family Dr yearly now and my surgeon cut me loose except for an annual follow up, ( surgery was done at a university hospital ). Best damned thing that happened to me!!

I think about what I eat most of the time.. If I over eat or eat too much fat or sugar my gut hurts enough to stop that, but no worries.. The buggiest thing is attitude.. It n

Makes all the difference

Regards

Joel

[/quote']

Joel,

I am self pay (insurance does not cover surgery at all!) and first thought of doing of lapband, I did alot of research and found that alot of complications came with the lapband, even though they market it as less evasive! Thanks for the encouragement!

Jen

Hey Ty, I haven't had my surgery yet, I'm still going through a 6 month waiting period but my surgery should be in september. I had many doubts and I'm still scared. But it finally hit me when a friend asked me if I was scared about having the surgery. I thought for a momnent and replied... "No! I'm scared if I DON'T have the surgery. I'm scared where I will be in the next couple years if I don't have it.". Good Luck!

Hello, my name is Jolee. My surgery is today at 1:30pm. I'm nervous and excited to begin this journey. I just hope this works.

Hi my name Dawn or D. I had surgery March 26. I was so scared and nervous at the same time. I almost didnt go threw with it. But I did. It was like I closed and opened them back up. Then thought to myself, its done already. Thank God.

Im doing ok for the most part. I think whats bothering me is I dont see a change yet. Granted its only Two weeks, but I have friends that also had it done and lost fast. Ok so whats wrong with me. I go to my first post op appointment next week. Lets see what he has to say. Im getting a little discourged. Yikes

Hello my name is lory... Ive been wanting to do dis all my life bec ive seen people that drastically changed their lives... I do believe that everything is taking chances .. So im looking forward to do this.. I have my surgeon appointment on the 13 and nutrition appointments.. I cant wait to do this..

Hello' date=' I am brand new to this just joined this site today, been looking at it for weeks! It helped me with the decision to continue with the surgery. I had received my date on Tuesday, June 5! I have the exact same thoughts as you. Except I have never had surgery before! Scared out of my mind but excited at the same time!!![/quote']

Hello im new too... I have my surgeon meeting and nutritionist on the 13 of april.. I cant wait for my surgery...

First off.. Im so happy and excited for you. Nervous, yes that will happen. I chickened out the first time, had I didnt, I would be a year post op and feeling great. But my nerves got to me and I said : no more its time for me. I can do this. Its two weeks and 3days so far for me. Losing weight slowly but surely. Your going to do great and think, youll walk in that operationg room, lay down close your eyes then in seconds youll wake up. And its over. Ugh; i was such a sissy.

You can do this, you will do this, you will feel 101% better if not more. I appaude you. Congratulations.

You probably won't see a change in two weeks, your belly probably is still a bit blown or swelled up from the gas. Plus we are harder on ourselves then others, so I bet u do look different and there are changes, u just can't see them but others do. I bet u will be surprised at your appointment of how much weight u have lost. You can't get discouraged, it's only been two weeks. Patience. Good luck and let us know how your appt. goes.