Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

stress and the band

I will be getting banded when my insurance is approved, but I was wondering about something. I am a caregiver. I take care of my mom and everything in her life....although there is nothing physically wrong with her except some arthritis, back pain, and a little bit of high blood sugar. (Very little). She is able to live alone but mentally can't handle anything. (She DOESN'T have Alzheimers but her mental function would suggest otherwise) She doesn't drive or do anything else except let her dog out, eat, and watch TV. I take care of everything else.....and I mean everything (well, she does have home health care for her bath). She is extremely dependant and getting more so as she gets older. She also refuses to make any changes; just suggesting them makes her go off the deep end. It is constant stress in my life and getting worse. If I get banded in the next month or so, how will my stress level affect my recovery and subsequent dieting/eating plans? (What do you thing the stress level has caused to my health and weight up to now?) Thanks.

I know you said your mom doesnt like change but prior to your surgery can you maybe start introducing some help in while your there? There are some orgainizations that might be able to help out. I think your going ot need it at least at first post op . Your going to need to rest. Can you afford to pay the home health aide a little on the side to come more hours ? Since she might be a little more comfortable with her ?

Im sorry I dont have any help as far as what the stress might do to the band im not banded yet either. So im interested in knowing the answer as well

MIndy

The only thing I have heard about stress and the band is it can make you feel like you have more restriction. You may, on the days you feel very stressed, test your restriction by drinking Water first and see how it feels going down.

First, here's my idea of how stress has affected you thus far in regards to your health. PLEASE forgive me if I'm being preachy.

When we're under a lot of stress the body naturally goes into Fight or Flight mode. While this would work well if you were being chased by godzilla, stress causes numerous physiological responses. For the most part these are good but if you're under continuous stress the body isn't able to function as well over time. In the fight or flight response, the adrenal glands enlarge and spit out large amounts of adrenal cortical hormones. Cortisol, the name of the hormone, has been scientifically proven to cause weight gain because the body thinks that you're in a stressful situation and you may not get food for a while. So it holds onto every last calorie. Just a side note, when cortisol is released the body stops all healing processes and redirects energy to the vital organs. If you are healing from an injury or SURGERY, you need to be low stress to get better. Overtime, chronically elevated cortisol levels lead to abdominal fat, suppressed immunal function and even chronic fatigue syndrome.

sleep plays a major role in stress reduction and weight loss. Grehlin a hormone in your stomach can cause you to feel VERY hungry and sleep deprivation raises levels of grehlin and cortisol. Both are released under stress and fatigue which probably significantly contributed to your weight gain thus far.

However, I would think (I'm not a doctor yet, just studying medicine.... My mom's a nutritionist/dietician so I grew up with this stuff!) that with the band it will be easier to control your hunger but you might still have head hunger. For that, I would suggest seeing a therapist and getting some extra help for your mom. Also, if your stress continues to be a problem or you have trouble with being hungry after fills, there are all sorts of herbal remedies for helping with adrenal function. Ask your pcp for more information about what would be best for you. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

With love, Sheila

P.S. I know it's really tough... my grandparents are VERY resistent to change and caring for my grandfather's cancer and my grandmother's diabetes and alcoholism can be VERY stressful and tiring.

Actually, you described me and my life perfectly. I spent about 5 years with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and I'm a horrible sleeper. It's not the quantity, it's the quality. At one time, about 25 years ago, I think I was anorexic, but somehow overcame it on my own, and now I'm scared to take that much control over my eating habits again. I have considered therapy, too. I really want to become healthy, but it seems like if I take 5 minutes to focus on myself, then all my family members have things that need addressed first. Oh, did I forget to mention that I have twin granddaughters (age 3) that I watch 4 times a week while their mom is in college? Plus, I pay for their childcare (while I'm working) and make the payment on their trailer. (Her husband works long, long hours trying to get a new business up and going, and they just don't have any money right now...they do pay when they have the money) I know, I'm a walking doormat. My mom is supportive (as much as she's capable of) of me getting the band, and I don't think she'll be a big problem while I'm recovering, it's just the general stress following recovery, (real life) that I was getting concerned about. My husband is a great help when it gets too much for me to handle, but he just can't see the need to help out until I'm right on the edge. (We've been in therapy, too. He's passive-aggressive and I deal with that, too.)

Oh, and I also deal with a 58-year-old brother with down's syndrome. He lives in assisted living and I'm the contact person. There aren't frequent problems, but when there are, I'm the one who has to deal with them.

I can get some extra help for mom, and did that once when I went on vacation. Mom even pays for it. I will look into that again....soon. Thanks a lot!

Stress is pretty much a constant in my life because I own a consulting business and my clients are extremely demanding....long hours, complex problems, travel, etc. Then you add things like weightloss, family, friends, social life....adds up quickly.

When I am extremely stressed out my band feels super tight and high in my throat. Additionally, if I ever get upset or cry, my band seems to tighten down instantly. Best remedy I have found is to try to calm myself and then follow up with a hot drink to start relaxing the muscles.

It's all just a part of learning how to have this band as part of your everyday life. Do not be afraid of it - you will learn along the way what is the best solution for you. :))

I have found that stress makes my band slam shut it seems. My best friend and I have had some heated arguements and I was unable to eat afterwards. I make sure, if we are going to dinner, I let him win the fight so I can have a meal in comfort!

I'm not sure if the band really does tighten. Perhaps my chest is tightening and I am just much more aware of my body and how it feels since banding.

Just remember to keep your head about you. Take plenty of time out to take care of yourself and don't fell guilty if you need a breather.

Stress makes my stomach tighter as well. (Saying that the band is tighter isn't accurate, but it's what we all say). I think you NEED to find someone to help with your mom for the first 3 or 4 weeks after surgery. You wont be able to do any heavy lifting, and you aren't supposed to be doing strenuous activities, and some people find the post-surgery diet pretty stressful too (liquids for 2 weeks or so, then mushies, etc). It depends on the person, but I think you need to give yourself as much time as you can to recover. You can always tell the person helping you "thanks, I'm okay now" but it may be hard to tell them "It's taking longer than I thought to recover, can you stay longer?"

You know?

I had surgery on a Friday and was back to work Tuesday, but I have a desk job.

I don't think stress and the band mix very well. I don't think stress mixes very well with our bodies, period. There are some things you can do to reduce your stress and hopefully make it a little easier on yourself. Some of them have been mentioned, but here's my list:

1. Make sure you take time each day for yourself. That may mean a bubble bath, reading a book for a specific time period, getting a massage, getting your nails done, or just to rest or take a nap.

2. Stop being the door mat or support person for every member of your family. If you continue this you will put in jeopardy your own health and at that point you won't be able to help anyone.

3. Share the burden. Other family members can shoulder some of this for you. You don't have to do it alone. ASK for help. Don't wait for them to volunteer or see that you are finally at the crash and burn state.

4. Look into CODA. It's a organization that helps using a 12 step program. It sounds like you could benefit from these meetings.

5. Remove some of the things on your plate. You are watching your grandchildren, working, taking care of your mother, etc. Some of these activities have to go.

I had to learn some of these myself when I was diagnosed with CFS and Fibromalgia. I could hardly function at that time and was all alone. I had to learn to ask for help, which was such a biggie to me.

I find now when I am stressed that I just can't eat. In the old days I would eat when stressed. However, not eating can be just as bad. Get some of these things under control before banding so you can have a pleasant start to this journey we are on.

Good luck to you