Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fitness and sleeping

Try increasing magnesium, as mentioned by others, to improve sleep and many other ailments triggered by magnesium deficiency.

I found this a good read (not academic, but still is based on some studies)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/peak32.htm

The article targets magnesium deficiencies as it applies to athletes, but there is also general information for everyone.

From the article:

Eating Habits Associated With Low Magnesium Intake

You tend to eat white flour products instead of wholemeal

You have a low intake of green leafy vegetables

You don't eat much in the way of nuts and seeds or Beans and lentils

You regularly consume sugar or sugary products

You drink alcohol regularly

You follow a calorie-restricted or high-Protein, low-carbohydrate diet

Possible Symptoms Of Sub-Optimal Magnesium Intake

Muscle cramps, twitches or tremors

Regular or excessive fatigue

Feelings of irritability and/or lethargy

Frequent mood swings, including depression

Pre-menstrual bloating

Restless legs at night

We generally have an issue with the last eating habit by nature of being a VSG post op. We eat low calorie diets, high Protein and low carb diets. My daily protein consumption tends to be above average to support athletic activities. I identify with item 2, 3 and 6 from the eating habit list.

The magnesium supplement I am trying is called Natural Calm:

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Vitality-Calm-Raspberry-Lemon/dp/B00BPUY3W0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382710890&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+calm

The recommendation is to take 2 tsp (325 mg) daily. Others have mentioned they take 1 tsp in the morning and 1 tsp in the evening. This is consistent with the the body being able to absorb 100-150 mg most efficiently in a single dose.

Took it last night for the first time and noticed I woke at 6:30 am, feeling refreshed, after going to bed at 10:30pm. I still use the melatonin to fall asleep, but the increase in magnesium ions in the body will promote a restful sleep. After all this research I have done (sleep is important to me for many reasons!!), it is now clear why I started having sleep issues when increasing protein and working out hard month 5 (now month 15). You can look into increasing magnesium if you like, but as for me, It certainly makes sense.

Really helps with Constipation if you struggle with that. There are so many ailments that are fixed when the magnesium levels are sufficient in the body.

I will let you know how this goes in 1 month.

I stopped taking my Mg, which my Dr had recommended. I need to start back. THANKS!!!

I stopped taking my Mg' date=' which my Dr had recommended. I need to start back. THANKS!!![/quote']

You are welcome! I hope this information helps many. It certainly connected the dots for me with regards to poor sleep, Constipation, lethargy, high intensity exercise, high Protein, low carb, high Calcium and magnesium deficiency. Normally the recommended 1500 mg Calcium wouldn't be a problem, but when combined with all those other dietary factors, the ratio between calcium and magnesium gets off.

Two days in a row of good sleep using Natural Calm. I feel quietedly alert when waking. Well rested. You never know how truly uninspiring your sleep is until you have nights of good sleep. Drinking like a horse every day still wakes me up at night, but I am able to quickly fall asleep again after returning to bed. If you have not read the need to balance out Calcium and magnesium levels, you might want to do a little research. Our diets can lead to an imbalance for the many reasons listed above.

Two days in a row of good sleep using Natural Calm. I feel quietedly alert when waking. Well rested. You never know how truly uninspiring your sleep is until you have nights of good sleep. Drinking like a horse every day still wakes me up at night' date=' but I am able to quickly fall asleep again after returning to bed. If you have not read the need to balance out Calcium and magnesium levels, you might want to do a little research. Our diets can lead to an imbalance for the many reasons listed above.[/quote']

That is great! Pleasant dreams can be invigorating the next day.

Ok - said I would wait one month, but I am happy to report that since the last post, I have slept very well. I feel much better. My muscles do not ache any longer, are not so tightly wound and my overall sense of well being has improved. If you have trouble sleeping and/or have maladies associated with magnesium deficiencies, do check out this product Natural Calm and read the online reviews about it. I think the working out intensely as a post op combined with a diet low in magnesium has led to my deficiency. Multivitamins and/ or fitness Water just do not have enough DV to make up for it so I am glad Natural Calm has helped out.

Ok - said I would wait one month' date=' but I am happy to report that since the last post, I have slept very well. I feel much better. My muscles do not ache any longer, are not so tightly wound and my overall sense of well being has improved. If you have trouble sleeping and/or have maladies associated with magnesium deficiencies, do check out this product Natural Calm and read the online reviews about it. I think the working out intensely as a post op combined with a diet low in magnesium has led to my deficiency. Multivitamins and/ or fitness Water just do not have enough DV to make up for it so I am glad Natural Calm has helped out.[/quote']

I am happy that you are having pleasant dreams. I know you feel so much better. Thank you for sharing this information. Since you posted about Mg, I have started taking mine again, and have been sleeping until the alarm goes off at 5:30am, unless nature calls at 5:00am. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

I am no MD..,, have you tried having a beer or a glass of wine?( not saying you should get drunk) might help relax from the crazy day?

Still working. :)

Super!

As my personal experience, when having sleep problem. I often choose lemongrass tea as my favorite treatment. You may not know that one of the most outstanding benefits of lemongrass is to cure insomnia. In fact, lemongrass can provide instant calming effects on muscles. Therefore, it may induce deep sleep naturally. Moreover, the mixture of sedative and hypnotic qualities in lemongrass will improve sleep duration and quality. It is very effective so drinking a cup of lemongrass tea may be a good choice.

Source: https://wikihomenutrition.com/lemongrass-health-benefits