Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Friday Jan 19th

Seminar Jan 17th- 2007 Dr. Spivak- Houston

Banded Jan 19th- 2007

So far soo good- no problems- liquid diet- sore around incision sites

so many questions- I didn't have time for an induction diet like I have read about.

So ready to be slimmer

Congrats on getting banded! I will be getting mine on Thursday. I am so excited! I wish you lots of luck and success!!!:clap2:

Hey Deb. I attended the seminar on the same day as you! WOW~ small world. Please tell me all about your experience, day of surgery, flow of pre-op, and immediately after surgery. Were you provided an prescriptions for pain post-op?? I am scheduled with Dr. Spivak on Jan 30th, so just a few days away. Anything valuable I should know about prior to surgery? I am really impressed you didn't waste time and you already had yours completed. That is awesome. I really enjoyed visiting with the two ladies in the front desk area. They were so informative. Seemed to be honest and forthcoming on what to anticipate.

Just like you, I have not had much time for the pre-op liquid diet. But hope that dosen't hinder the process too bad.

Please let me know your experieces; Do's & Don'ts. Take care,

:huggie: Kim (Houston, TX)

Dr. Spivak

To Be Banded: Jan 30th

kIM.

Like i said the surgery was uncomplicated and went well. The only hinge is they forgot me. I was scheduled for one of the later surgeries. I was there at 9am , and at 5PM went to the nurses station to ask if they were ever going to take me to surgery. The Doctor was doing rounds, they called the surgical team in , and was banded around 6:15 pm. It was a comedy of errors, They had placed me on another wing, and someone had reported that i HAD WENT HOME....craziness.......

After surgery he sends you home with pain meds, operated on friday evening, attended Church Sunday morning, no problems. I went out to lunch after Church to a mexican restuarant, drank iced tea, came home and ate cottage cheese.

I am a tiny bit sore now- but no meds required.

His office called to check on me monday morning, and to anwser any questions. I was told again not to have over 4-6 oz at a time, could eat every 2 hours if necessary, but only 4-6 oz at a time.

Dr. Spivak's people are all pretty impressive, and have been extremely helpful.

Hurry and get banded so we can compare notes

Deb:nervous

kIM.

Like i said the surgery was uncomplicated and went well. The only hinge is they forgot me. I was scheduled for one of the later surgeries. I was there at 9am , and at 5PM went to the nurses station to ask if they were ever going to take me to surgery. The Doctor was doing rounds, they called the surgical team in , and was banded around 6:15 pm. It was a comedy of errors, They had placed me on another wing, and someone had reported that i HAD WENT HOME....craziness.......

After surgery he sends you home with pain meds, operated on friday evening, attended Church Sunday morning, no problems. I went out to lunch after Church to a mexican restuarant, drank iced tea, came home and ate cottage cheese.

I am a tiny bit sore now- but no meds required.

His office called to check on me monday morning, and to anwser any questions. I was told again not to have over 4-6 oz at a time, could eat every 2 hours if necessary, but only 4-6 oz at a time.

Dr. Spivak's people are all pretty impressive, and have been extremely helpful.

Hurry and get banded so we can compare notes

Deb:nervous

Hi Deb, I was banded by Dr. Spivak at Park Plaza Hospital on Jan 8, which was a Monday. I was the ONLY patient for the day. I had gone to the seminar on Dec. 29, so I didn't have much time for the pre-op diet either. I'm doing really well. So glad to hear you are banded and recuperating well too.

Which hospital did you use for surgery? Dr. Spivak and his office staff have been absolutely wonderful. I'm surprised that his post-op diet seems to be more liberal than others here on the board. But I am following what he said and am doing fine.

Keep in touch,

Terry

Terry,

I was banded at Park Plaza Hospital. Dr Spivak had 10 patients that morning. I believe that 9 were bands, and the other a by pass. It was easy to see how they forgot me- with me being put in a different wing of the hospital. Terry, I have so many questions. Do you feel full after 4oz of Soup? I'm still hungry. How many calories are you consuming per day? Are you losing weight. Please tell me your meals for a complete day. When are you going for your 1st fill? Like I said full of questions-

Thanks,

Deb

Terry,

I was banded at Park Plaza Hospital. Dr Spivak had 10 patients that morning. I believe that 9 were bands, and the other a by pass. It was easy to see how they forgot me- with me being put in a different wing of the hospital. Terry, I have so many questions. Do you feel full after 4oz of Soup? I'm still hungry. How many calories are you consuming per day? Are you losing weight. Please tell me your meals for a complete day. When are you going for your 1st fill? Like I said full of questions-

Thanks,

Deb

Deb, During the first week, usually I was full after 4 oz of Soup, I could stop there and feel fine. Later I would still want something after an hour or so and would have a Protein shake (6 oz soy milk, powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chocolate powder). I am now on soft foods and my menu for the day is like oatmeal at Breakfast, Split pea soup at lunch, and some Tomato Soup with a scrambled egg for dinner. Around 3 in the afternoon I had snack of lite yogurt with unflavored Unjury mixed in. I definitely get my 64 oz of fluids. Sometimes I have soft fish for dinner instead of egg, or have a few teaspoons of cottage cheese for a snack. Lately I strted adding soft, canned vegetables. I'm taking in about 800 calories a day now, and have lost 16 pounds.

I have 2 things I am using to add in extra Protein. did they give you samples of unjury powder at the hospital? It is yummy! I have both the chocolate that I add to milk, and also the unflavored which I add to yogurt for a snack. Another great protein source is Profect. It is a clear fruit flavored drink that is 2.9 oz with 25 grams of protein! It is purchased on the internet at protica.com If you do decide to buy some of it, there is a discount code (PR15) on the home page to use to save 15%. Put the code in when you checkout. It is kinda pricey, but I like getting in all that protein in a small drink.

I am going to schedule my first fill for 5 weeks post op. I loved the full feeling after just a few bites. So far I am happy with my Bandele (my nickname) for my band.

Keep in touch,

Terry

Deb & Terry - please keep posting your updates. They are great! My banding is only a few days away, so I am so darn excited! I believe Dr. Spivak is having me go to Park Plaza as well. Countdown to next Tuesday! YIIPPEEEE!!!!! Please keep sharing info - most helpful.

Take care,

Kim

Deb & Terry - please keep posting your updates. They are great! My banding is only a few days away, so I am so darn excited! I believe Dr. Spivak is having me go to Park Plaza as well. Countdown to next Tuesday! YIIPPEEEE!!!!! Please keep sharing info - most helpful.

Take care,

Kim

Kim, congrats on your upcoming surgery! I'll keep you in my prayers. I'm sure everything will be just fine, you are in good hands. It won't be long..

Terry

Hey folks, I got banded at University General Hospital on 1/19 and went back to work on 1/22. The pain meds were only used for a couple of days, but turning over at night is still a "wake-up" experience. I was #4 on Dr. Spiegel's list and was back in my room by 11 a.m. My son went to work in downtown Houston and took a nap before coming to get me at 7 p.m. so we wouldn't be spending lots of time hung up in traffic.

broth is okay, but Emeril's stock is a lot more satisfying. I found it at HEB. I drank a few Protein shakes I had on hand from costco until I compared the label to the Adkins shake and found out what a big difference in carbs there was. Now it's Adkins all the way.

The steri-strips have fallen off all the incisions except one, so that should be about it. Of course, the bruising looks like I was in a car wreck, but that too will fade.

I have not had any nausea or vomiting, but then I have sucked ice non stop since the surgery. It's not unusual for me to empty 2 30oz. cups of ice in the morning and another couple in the afternoon. juice just doesn't do it for me and Jello is just so, so.

Tomorrow I'm on to refried Beans, thinned with stock and topped with a few strands of cheese - a Mex fix at last! From there it's on to homemade potato Soup, a little broccoli cheese soup, and then -- yes, mashed potatoes whipped with milk and butter and thinned to thick soup!

The only thing I'm really missing is fajita, but that to will come back my way in a few weeks. Hello sizzling onions and bell peppers! Whizzing them up in the Magic Bullet for soup, just isn't the same.

Good luck on your journey!

HI...i am interested in the right Protein shakes....does anyone have any good recipes...also in protein bars/powder. What do i need to look for in the gr. of protein and sugar etc... Help please....I live in Montreal, Qubec so specific brands would be great. Thanks