Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

well, I blew that fast day

CowgirlJane
Sign in to follow this  

Tues/Thurs are my normal fast days but yesterday just got blown out of the Water.

It's weird, but I have made a couple of platonic friends in my rather lame attempts at dating...lol. anyway, I have somehow turned into their shoulder to cry on, translator of all things women/relationship. I have mixed feelings about this I am now realizing, but yesterday BOTH of them reached out to me and it was emotional! Friend #1 called me and we talked for a long time about this woman he needs to break up with but is feeling wretched about it. Friend #2 had asked me on Monday if we could go to dinner Tues and so I was saving all my 500 calories for a light meal of appetizers. He had a really whirlwind romance that broke his heart, but what he was really upset about was his brother's suicide. As far as I can tell, because I am very articulate... wordy... I am able to tell them what they are feeling... put words to the emotion which they find comforting somehow. I am not sure what I am getting out of this, but, well I did get a nice dinner and friend #1 is going to take me to a movie...LOL.

I don't know if this is all related, but I was so hungry yesterday I simply could not fast. I decided that if I tried to go without until dinner I would likely overeat, so decided to make it a "normal" day. Ok, but what was Not a great decision was coming home and eating a bunch of candied nuts after...sigh,

Anyway, I woke up starving this morning I think from too many carbs yesterday. Even my normal days are typically fairly low carb but yesterday was not. I have had about 150 calories, it is 9am and I am satiated for now. I am not sure if i will just have alight normal day or really try to fast.

Thursday is my typical fast day and I intend to keep that - so I guess that answers my question. Today should be a normal eating day.

One thing though, my plastic surgery is 2.5 weeks away and I am definately emotional about it. I am most of the time eating as healthy as can be, really trying to be ready for the surgery and as strong/fit as I can be. I wonder if I should continue the 5:2 until surgery or give it a rest until after I have recovered? Surgeon is of little help in deciding this, he just says my bloodwork is good, eat healthy, eat a lot of Protein in the coming weeks.

Wow Jane!

It sounds like your plate is full!

Yes pun intended :)

Some friends can turn into emotional vampires. I'm not saying these ones are. Its important to provide support but not let it drain you..

I get the same way after eating lots of carbs. Wake up the next day starving!

My fast yesterday was one of the hardest.. because of celebratory eating the last week.

As far as not fasting until surgery?

That's a hard one. Only you know how you will handle it.

Which by the way through the past several of years it looks like you handle it pretty well. :)

Me on the other hand? It would be just chipping away at an already weak foundation if stressors where at a high.

Cowgirl jane, sounds like you have def become the "shoulder" to a couple of "friends!" ( i say that loosely! LOL)

Yep, I tend to overeat carbs if I am out of my "usual" routine. Sad, isn't it? Just too easy to do..

As to 5:2 before surgery. Here's my take on it. Weight loss is just a minor benefit of fasting. Number one is health. As for me, it has become a lifestyle and it will follow me through every area/situation in life. If you don't feel that you can commit to eat as healthy as you have prior, then I would def not do it before surgery. If, as most of us, it has "cleaned' up and created discisplines somewhat, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't continue up to and including surgery. That said - you are the master of your situation!!!! Ha!

Either way - I'm STILL jealous of your plastics! Just kidding - but am envious.

Lol I'm envious too!

You know I came to the decision a couple of days ago if I have any plastics it's going to be my face.

Yes my thighs are a mess and I'll never be able to wear shorts!

But it's my face that bothers me the most. It's funny when I was younger I always thought that women who had face lifts where self absorbed and vain.

But when I get a look of myself in the mirror I see my mom. And I don't like it

(Sorry mom) so the saggy jowls and neck need to go!

/joins the envious of plastics club.

Cowgirl Jane - I wonder if being that empathetic shoulder to cry on has anything at all do do with eating patterns - for 22 years I was a hair colorist (which is a big old shoulder to cry on) just kept packing on the weight over the years...food after work was a true comfort - numbs one out after 12 hour days of hearing folks heartbreaking stories and challenges - a new one every 30 minutes - 5-6 days a week. I know it could be hard to not let my clients shred me to bits at times - some of these people I had seen monthly for decades, I was closer to them then the majority of my family.

Your post has generated some interesting thoughts for me.

Now I am a college professor and by its nature, has much stronger/more defined emotional boundaries. I still tend to worry about others over myself much of the time.

I would follow your instincts with what you should do before surgery be it fasting or not fasting. I would focus on hydration, nutrients, getting both good exercise and rest.

As for plastics - I want a full-on belt lipectomy - the big bad boy of body contouring! Tummy Tuck or panniculectomy will not be enough. i have the hang over the top of my tummy - my lower tummy and thighs look like a ratty old beige blanket that a pack of dogs have been playing under lol. I thoroughly destroyed my skin by getting so big - ahh well - I still prefer this to 150 lbs ago. I have the jowly neck thing too - I used to think my head looked as if it were squeezed out of a tube (meaning I have no neck) - now its the flabby bag the tube came in haha!

They say one could have anywhere from 5-10 lbs of skin for every 100 lb. loss - no wonder I look like an old sleeping bag :)

Jane, the 5:2 is supposed to help with repair in the body, so I would say do it if you can keep your mind wrapped around it!

Lol I'm envious too! You know I came to the decision a couple of days ago if I have any plastics it's going to be my face. Yes my thighs are a mess and I'll never be able to wear shorts! But it's my face that bothers me the most. It's funny when I was younger I always thought that women who had face lifts where self absorbed and vain. But when I get a look of myself in the mirror I see my mom. And I don't like it (Sorry mom) so the saggy jowls and neck need to go!

That is ME EXACTLY! I can deal with the "under" stuff. My face and neck. Driving me crazy!!!

/joins the envious of plastics club. Cowgirl Jane - I wonder if being that empathetic shoulder to cry on has anything at all do do with eating patterns - for 22 years I was a hair colorist (which is a big old shoulder to cry on) just kept packing on the weight over the years...food after work was a true comfort - numbs one out after 12 hour days of hearing folks heartbreaking stories and challenges - a new one every 30 minutes - 5-6 days a week. I know it could be hard to not let my clients shred me to bits at times - some of these people I had seen monthly for decades' date=' I was closer to them then the majority of my family. Your post has generated some interesting thoughts for me. Now I am a college professor and by its nature, has much stronger/more defined emotional boundaries. I still tend to worry about others over myself much of the time. I would follow your instincts with what you should do before surgery be it fasting or not fasting. I would focus on hydration, nutrients, getting both good exercise and rest. As for plastics - I want a full-on belt lipectomy - the big bad boy of body contouring! Tummy Tuck or panniculectomy will not be enough. i have the hang over the top of my tummy - my lower tummy and thighs look like a ratty old beige blanket that a pack of dogs have been playing under lol. I thoroughly destroyed my skin by getting so big - ahh well - I still prefer this to 150 lbs ago. I have the jowly neck thing too - I used to think my head looked as if it were squeezed out of a tube (meaning I have no neck) - now its the flabby bag the tube came in haha! They say one could have anywhere from 5-10 lbs of skin for every 100 lb. loss - no wonder I look like an old sleeping bag :)[/quote']

Chimera, you have a WAY with words! LOL. LAUGHING AT THE IMAGERY IN MY HEAD!