Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbladder Issues

Suddenly I'm faced with what appears to be major gallbladder issues and already a recommendation to have it removed. I am on antibiotics and wondered what others experiences are with this issue.

Have you had a problem that was controlled and or pushed off by antibiotics?

My Sleeve surgery was 9 weeks ago today (down 43 pounds since surgery now) and I am finally supposed to go on a vacation. I hope to at least delay any gallbladder surgery for 2 weeks.

Any feedback on any related experiences is appreciated!

If the pain is being caused by infection, then the antibiotics should keep it at bay for a few weeks. I had my gall bladder removed before getting sleeved, but my intermittent pain was from the stones, not infection. If your doctor doesn't think you are at risk for a rupture and OKs a delay, then go enjoy!

You just don't want to have to go in for emergency surgery. The recovery from Gall bladder surgery was very similar to the sleeve, I was in the hospital one night and back to work 5 days later.

The surgeon might want the infection under control prior to surgery anyway.

Good luck!

If the pain is being caused by infection' date=' then the antibiotics should keep it at bay for a few weeks. I had my gall bladder removed before getting sleeved, but my intermittent pain was from the stones, not infection. If your doctor doesn't think you are at risk for a rupture and OKs a delay, then go enjoy!

You just don't want to have to go in for emergency surgery. The recovery from Gall bladder surgery was very similar to the sleeve, I was in the hospital one night and back to work 5 days later.

The surgeon might want the infection under control prior to surgery anyway.

Good luck![/quote']

I want to kiss you right now! Thanks

Be VERY careful with gallbladder issues. I didn't want to go to the doctor with mine and I put it off for too long. By the time I addressed it, I was in the emergency room begging to die and I had to have emergency surgery to remove my gangrene ruptured gallbladder. What should have been an easy surgery turned into quite an ordeal....The doctor spent more than an hour scraping foul infection and pieces of the rotten organ off of my liver. He said he had been a surgeon for 20 years and that it was the grossest surgery he had ever performed (his words not mine!) Most people who have gallbladder surgery are released the next day.. I was kept in the hospital for several days due to sepsis. I was very close to death. Don't be foolish like I was. Listen to your doctor and address the issues ASAP. When done as a non-emergency procedure under good conditions, gallbladder removal is a simple operation with an easy recovery... but if you wait too long like I did, you face the possibility of many complications, including, sepsis, organ failure or death... and a terribly painful recovery and long hospital stay!

Be VERY careful with gallbladder issues. I didn't want to go to the doctor with mine and I put it off for too long. By the time I addressed it' date=' I was in the emergency room begging to die and I had to have emergency surgery to remove my gangrene ruptured gallbladder. What should have been an easy surgery turned into quite an ordeal....The doctor spent more than an hour scraping foul infection and pieces of the rotten organ off of my liver. He said he had been a surgeon for 20 years and that it was the grossest surgery he had ever performed (his words not mine!) Most people who have gallbladder surgery are released the next day.. I was kept in the hospital for several days due to sepsis. I was very close to death. Don't be foolish like I was. Listen to your doctor and address the issues ASAP. When done as a non-emergency procedure under good conditions, gallbladder removal is a simple operation with an easy recovery... but if you wait too long like I did, you face the possibility of many complications, including, sepsis, organ failure or death... and a terribly painful recovery and long hospital stay![/quote']

Raining on my parade I have an MRCP (i understand its a specialized MRI) to confirm diagnosis tomorrow. I'm hoping to just buy myself about 10 days. In the meantime I am on Levaquin and Flagell

Wise words I'm sure. Hopefully, the antibiotics can work in conjunction with the testing process to buy me my vacation.

Be VERY careful with gallbladder issues. I didn't want to go to the doctor with mine and I put it off for too long. By the time I addressed it' date=' I was in the emergency room begging to die and I had to have emergency surgery to remove my gangrene ruptured gallbladder. What should have been an easy surgery turned into quite an ordeal....The doctor spent more than an hour scraping foul infection and pieces of the rotten organ off of my liver. He said he had been a surgeon for 20 years and that it was the grossest surgery he had ever performed (his words not mine!) Most people who have gallbladder surgery are released the next day.. I was kept in the hospital for several days due to sepsis. I was very close to death. Don't be foolish like I was. Listen to your doctor and address the issues ASAP. When done as a non-emergency procedure under good conditions, gallbladder removal is a simple operation with an easy recovery... but if you wait too long like I did, you face the possibility of many complications, including, sepsis, organ failure or death... and a terribly painful recovery and long hospital stay![/quote']

Of I can follow up, can I ask how long was it after you knew you had a problem that you waited? Thanks!

I'm with SerendipityHappens. Granted I dealt with GB issues for years but when I was in the ER it was horrid. Morphine kept the pain at bay, but only a level 3-4 and when I went to the surgeon a few days later I was still in pain. My surgery took over an hour longer than expect because I was days away from gangrene, he said it was hard and stiff and that I had been very sick a long time and I had just grown accustom to it. I told my surgeon at my 1 month follow up that I was in labor with my son 2.5 hours and came home with a sweet baby but I was in labor with my gallbladder for 6 hours before they gave me drugs and days on Oxycodone before I had surgery and I came home with nothing. Like you said you are having an MRI and you are hoping to push it 10 days. Obviously surgeon knows best but if you aren't dealing with a raging infection you will probably be OK it is so hard to know until they have a clear picture.

Listen to your doctor for sure.. If he says you're good to wait, then no problem.. Most people do the surgery as a prescheduled surgery that they might schedule a few weeks out anyway... I'm just saying if there's any question or if the doctor recommends immediate surgery, then DO IT. For me, I never even went to the doctor until I wound up in the emergency room. I knew I had issues with my gallbladder for YEARS, but I never went to the doctor because I was afraid of surgery. My own foolishness put me at greater risk because if I had done it sooner, I would have had a shorter surgery and could have prepared my body better.. oh well, live and learn right? Edited to add: It doesn't take YEARS for everyone to develop serious issues... some can develop these issues in a matter of weeks or months.

Of I can follow up' date=' can I ask how long was it after you knew you had a problem that you waited? Thanks![/quote']

Personally for me I dealt with intermittent attacks for probably 4 years. It started on occasion and following very greasy meals. By the time I ended up in the ER Water gave me heart burn. I will tell you what though, it is like heaven to get that thing out. My brother (my whole family has theirs out. Every female on my moms side and my brother) had his out and has a lot of side effects from it. I luckily do not.

I'm with SerendipityHappens. Granted I dealt with GB issues for years but when I was in the ER it was horrid. Morphine kept the pain at bay' date=' but only a level 3-4 and when I went to the surgeon a few days later I was still in pain. My surgery took over an hour longer than expect because I was days away from gangrene, he said it was hard and stiff and that I had been very sick a long time and I had just grown accustom to it. I told my surgeon at my 1 month follow up that I was in labor with my son 2.5 hours and came home with a sweet baby but I was in labor with my gallbladder for 6 hours before they gave me drugs and days on Oxycodone before I had surgery and I came home with nothing. Like you said you are having an MRI and you are hoping to push it 10 days. Obviously surgeon knows best but if you aren't dealing with a raging infection you will probably be OK it is so hard to know until they have a clear picture.[/quote']

First, thank you for responding!

It started in the middle of the night just 3 nights ago (Sat night/Sunday morning) with 103 temp and chills and saw Dr on call at my PCP office. In 24 hours after an ultrasound and 1 day on antibiotics the fever was at bay and the ultrasound looked like there was going to ultimately be an issue but nothing acute. One theory is that I passed a gallstone. Blood cultures showed my levels out of whack setting off the sirens.

I don't really know what gall bladder issues are. Can someone tell me what to look for? Thanks!!

I don't really know what gall bladder issues are. Can someone tell me what to look for? Thanks!!

Mine was pain in my stomach that radiated to my back, I couldn't tell if it was a back ache or stomach ache. I would also experience vomiting... sometimes bile. I'd feel a bit better after vomiting. At first my attacks were very infrequent.. I had one attack and then not another one for six months. By the end, I was in constant pain.

My gall bladder was removed yesterday. I was sleeved June 4, 2013. Pain like a stitch in my right side under my rib cage. It turned out to be a large stong trapped in the neck of the bladder. Surgery and rrecovery were less than 1 1/2 hours. I was released 2 hours later.

My gall bladder was removed yesterday. I was sleeved June 4' date=' 2013. Pain like a stitch in my right side under my rib cage. It turned out to be a large stong trapped in the neck of the bladder. Surgery and rrecovery were less than 1 1/2 hours. I was released 2 hours later.[/quote']

I thought they at least kept you overnight? Please let us know how you are doing on the next few days! I'm glad that its been going well so far.

I am sore but I don't have that nagging pain. I am at my job. I can't do much but I need to be there. I own a restaurant. My sister is here working in my stead.