Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need advice from the vets on a mental stall

So here's a new one for me.....a mental stall, rather than a physical one. I'm still losing (albeit slowly), but I've lost some of my drive over the past week. My trainer went on vacation & I turned into a schlub; I didn't exercise on my own, i was just a big lazy slug. Also struggling to get in all my Protein (stopped relying on shakes about a week ago, but having a hard time getting all my Protein from food. Still not experiencing hunger, and find it hard to get in more than 600-700 calories a day), not meeting my Water needs, and last but not least - not doing great on the Vitamins. I think part of my ennui comes from the fact that I am feeling better, both physically & mentally, now that I have some of the weight off, and I'm less driven to push myself. I almost wish I wasn't continuing to lose, because it might be a kick in the pants to get me moving again. I'm only 7 lbs from halfway, which seemed impossible not that long ago. I should be feeling pretty excited about that, but it's like my motivation just went to sleep. I used to get excited about marking off my goals in green, knocking one off & moving to the next one, but now I'm floundering.

I'm just wondering if this is normal & I'll blow past it, or if it's old behavior creeping in and I'm going to start slacking off more & more and blow it. Given that I've only been feeling this way for about 5 days, I might be overreacting, but I'm hypersensitive given my dieting history. I've lost weight in the past (not this much, or this fast, but I have lost), but then I hit a certain point and stop trying. My fear is that I'll do the same now.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any vets experience this at some point? What did you do to kick yourself back into gear?

I need to find some 'tools' to maintain my motivation. Appreciate any help or suggestions. I'm posting this in the Vet's forum since that's where the experience is, and in the hopes I can learn from those who have been there. Also - the Vets tend to be more positive with constructive criticism :)

Thanks in advance!

Current stats: 4.5 months post op, 53 lbs lost, strength training 3x/week, cardio 2x/week, 600 - 700 cals/day

My goals:

• Lose 20 lbs - complete!
  • Get under 200 lbs - complete!
  • Lose 45 lbs - complete!
  • Get to 190 - complete!
  • Lose 50 lbs - complete!
  • Get to 186 - complete!
  • Get into a size 12
  • Get to 179 (halfway!)
  • (bunch of incremental goals, blah, blah)
  • Get to 120

I didn't stall ever on weight loss. Easily reached goal at8 months but I truly know what you mean about mental stall!

I did around year two. Let myself slide into "nothingness" as I call it for about a year! Woke up with 25 pounds of regain and huge regrets!

It's very easy to do. But it's also fairly easy to pick ourselves up, dust off our basics, get our heads back in the game and go forward

You can do it! Look at all the goals you GAVE accomplished and then Focus on the next one.

Lots of us here to cheer you on and give ideas but basically, go back to basics and start! Start! Start! You can do it! I lost regain doing 5:2. If you think you need help, you might consider it but if still losing easily just do what you know to do and do it NOW! I'm saying this with a smile.

Good luck!!!

Well I think we all get to this "mental place" at some point along the journey. Because in the beginning, there is the fact that you don't fit into regular size clothing, or a booth, or your knees hurt or you can't tie your shoes or you don't fit on an amusement park ride or you get winded climbing up a flight of stairs ...and while that doesn't *always* motivate people to lose weight, when it does, man that fire is intense. And once you've decided on WLS, that fire burns even brighter, because there is HOPE.

Then you lose a hunk of weight, and you are eating right, and drinking Water, and measuring your food and counting your calories, or your Protein and every morning you wake up and it's a new day to jump on the scale and see "how much did we lose today?" And exercise. Wow the more you do it (for me anyway) the more you want to do it, but falling off the exercise wagon is easy. It's much easier to loaf around on the couch checking FB than it is to lace up those tennis shoes and get on the treadmill or get to the gym.

So basically, I totally understand exactly where you are, because I've been there.

We all have those "I don't wanna" moments or days or weeks and hopefully they don't turn into months. Because when those moments collect and gang up on us, that is when we throw in the towel and go "meh, I'm good enough right here"...

And like Georgia said, it's never to late to get up, get out, and DO WHAT YOU KNOW YOU NEED TO DO. So you've had your "break" and now it's time to buckle down and refocus. I think we all *know* going into this that this is a LIFELONG STRUGGLE, but then sometimes we forget that and we think there is a finish line, when in reality, there is NEVER a finish line. We have to wake up each day and do the things we need to do to live the life we want to live.

Hope that makes sense...

^^^^like they said!^^^^^^

TOUGH LOVE

OK, you know what you did to gain weight, you know what you did to lose it. The sleeve makes it easier, but you still have to do the work. I would at least make sure you write everything down that you eat... and If you start living like you did when you were heavier, you will become that. One week is a small slip. I have been there. I have gained 22 pounds when I wasn't looking!(over months)...and believe me, you don't want to wake up one day and have that under your belt! (so to speak... :P ) You are at 4.5 months, and you are still in the honeymoon. After the honeymoon things get a little or a lot harder. To maintain for some of us, to get to goal, to lose the regain... This time is the easiest for most to lose the weight, so don't miss this window of opportunity. You feel better now because of all the things you have just given up. You have done really well so far, and its time to dig deep and figure out what you need to do to build a stronger foundation to support your new life. YOU CAN DO IT! Write yourself notes, keep a diary, use MFP, have a back up plan for the gym, put Vitamins and Water and Protein on a checklist on your mirror. Whatever works for you... don't forget to feel happy that you have to do these things.... they are adding quality and years to your life.

Thank you all for the suggestions, and the SUPPORT! I am so grateful to those of you who still come on the forum and are so willing to share your knowledge and advice; it is priceless!!! It is nice to know others have gone before me. I do use MFP (thankfully, I've kept it up even when I cringe at what I'm entering) and I wear a BodyMedia core armband every day, so I have a pretty accurate account of what's going in my mouth & what I'm burning. I manage to stay under cals, but the protein/carb/water balance is a challenge for me. I know eventually I will get the hang of it, it's just frustrating. I'm going to try the suggestion about putting up a note for myself; and the comment about being in the honeymoon phase resonates - I DO need to take advantage of this!! Thank you all, I really appreciate your help!!

I find that the mental energy to "keep at it" is something that needs tending. Changing your life is hard work, and after the initial thrill of rapid weight loss, fatigue can set in. For me, at the moment, small goals help, and it's beneficial to take a few minutes a day to focus on what I'm doing, what I hope to achieve, and why. Sort of a daily mental reset. Some days it's a stern talking-to in the mirror, some days it's more of a zen meditation, some days it's journaling, some days it's a soul-searching review at the end of the day. I really envy those who seem to hit their groove with this process, find something that works, and simply stick with it. For me it feels a bit more like fighting zombies ... there are always more zombies.

I find that the mental energy to "keep at it" is something that needs tending. Changing your life is hard work' date=' and after the initial thrill of rapid weight loss, fatigue can set in. For me, at the moment, small goals help, and it's beneficial to take a few minutes a day to focus on what I'm doing, what I hope to achieve, and why. Sort of a daily mental reset. Some days it's a stern talking-to in the mirror, some days it's more of a zen meditation, some days it's journaling, some days it's a soul-searching review at the end of the day. I really envy those who seem to hit their groove with this process, find something that works, and simply stick with it. For me it feels a bit more like fighting zombies ... there are always more zombies.[/quote']

Oh, girlfriend! I think you can kill the "undead"! It is difficult to keep at it sometimes. I kinda lost it for about 8 months and finally as you say found the mojo or get back on track. I am also one of those who can't do much moderation. I allow myself the occasional treat OUT or at something special but I've learned the hard way NOT to allow it in my house. I can't handle it. I know you are going to keep on keeping on! We've come too far down the "sleeve" road together!

We ALL go through this. Whether you are in the honeymoon, or 18 months out like me. My dr. calls it "behavioral fatigue"... you just get tired of the behaviors that you have been doing. He usually tells me that's when I need to "take a break" (i.e. like taking two weeks off of the gym, which I can't let myself do lately, hmm). Otherwise, changing it up, getting a workout buddy or an accountability partner might be a good avenue for you to try to pursue. I do agree with the honeymoon phase... enjoy it while it lasts as it will not be forever. The other suggestion that I can think of... make a list of all of the reasons why you wanted to have surgery/lose weight and go over them a couple of times a day. (If anyone's heard me say this before, my apologies.. I am a broken record.) Reach out like you did with this thread for pick me ups. I know myfitnesspal friends really support me the most when I need it. Best of luck!

There truly is something to be said for taking a break. It is the reason we (many of us) get vacation time at work. It is the reason elite athletes and body builders have an off season. It the reason kids get breaks in school. We sometimes need to check out of the focus.

I work out incredibly hard 6 days a week and take Saturdays off. Every now and then, my body only wants to do 5 days in a week and I let it. That means I watch what I eat a bit more carefully that day and hit it harder when I get back to the gym, but I listen to my body.

Sometimes it is mental, sometimes it is physical and sometimes we just need a break. IMO, up to a week off should be ok and it can be helpful to re-charge and restart. Don't beat yourself up over it. You are so close. Strap up your mojo and get back to it this week.

There truly is something to be said for taking a break. It is the reason we (many of us) get vacation time at work. It is the reason elite athletes and body builders have an off season. It the reason kids get breaks in school. We sometimes need to check out of the focus. I work out incredibly hard 6 days a week and take Saturdays off. Every now and then' date=' my body only wants to do 5 days in a week and I let it. That means I watch what I eat a bit more carefully that day and hit it harder when I get back to the gym, but I listen to my body. Sometimes it is mental, sometimes it is physical and sometimes we just need a break. IMO, up to a week off should be ok and it can be helpful to re-charge and restart. Don't beat yourself up over it. You are so close. Strap up your mojo and get back to it this week.[/quote']

Thanks for the continued advice! Unfortunately, I've come down with the flu this week, so my comeback will have to wait a little longer. At least I don't have an appetite!

My advice.. don't relax too long. Now is the time to lose the most weight you can. Remind yourself..you don't want to get comfy where you are and look back in a few months a few years and wish you had kept the fire going. Just know this is the time to keep going. Start to think of it as a way of life.. think of what your doing as the normal. or close to the normal. Eventually when you reach goal and are in maintenance you may not have to track every thing you eat and can indulge every so often. Look forward to that.. but for now.. stay focused.. that's my two cents.. I didn't and I regret it.. Two years out and still trying to get to goal..

Looking at before and after pictures really motivate me.

If I look at a very rare picture of myself at my highest weight, I can tell myself that it wouldn't take much for me to get into the head space where I would be headed right back there.

I get tired of working out. I need to get some new work out dvds so I can learn some new things.

Looking at before and after pictures really motivate me.

If I look at a very rare picture of myself at my highest weight' date=' I can tell myself that it wouldn't take much for me to get into the head space where I would be headed right back there.

I get tired of working out. I need to get some new work out dvds so I can learn some new things.[/quote']

If you are looking for variety, perhaps consider cross fit. There is a different workout every single day, significantly different. The variety is what will keep your body in top physical form as well as keep it interesting. It is challenging, but every exercise can be scaled to match an individual. I really have an appreciation for this. As you get stronger, faster and healthier, your workouts are constantly adapting.

This is an issue I'm struggling with right now, too. I feel like I look pretty good for my age, and even if I never lost another pound, I'd be ok. However, on the other hand, I'd like to get to goal. My head is just not in it all of the sudden, and it's scaring me. I've been here before surgery but not since, and I'm afraid this is going to get away from me.

I do think it's partly behavior fatigue for me. I'm just tired of watching everything I put in my mouth. I am tracking every bite, but I am eating too much. I'm also traveling for work this week, and that adds a whole other layer of issues to deal with. The office I'm in this week is preparing for a computer go live next week and there is a ton of food everywhere. I've resisted, but I think it's wearing me down. Just too much stress and too many temptations, and not my routine food available. Only restaurant food available and lack of desire to make good choices. Uggh. So, I'm counting every calorie and not doing too bad, but I'm not at my usual 800 calories. I feel so guilty for eating 1300 calories, it's crazy. I think it's because I know what a slippery slope I'm on.....

So - I don't have an answer for you, but I can commiserate with you. Your original post was about 6 weeks ago. Did you get past it and on track? If so, how did you do it? I just can't stay on this path. I'm only about 1 foot on it, but I've been down this road before and I recognize it. Maybe that's the first step. Saying it (typing) out loud actually gave me some perspective around my thoughts and behavior. Thanks for the thread.