Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

options class

I just started this journey. . I am down class 1 of a 12 week pre op class. Does anyone know what the next step would be , after the classes? I am a kaiser ( CA) member. I appreciate any feedback given.

I'm a KP member in CA also. After you finish the 12 week program and all the requirements are met such as the labs, chest X-ray, the psych evaluation, then you can call your coordinator and ask to be referred to the surgeon. The surgeons office will call you and schedule a consultation. If they see your are ok for the surgery then they help u pick a day. Then you have a pre op appt 2 weeks before surgery. I really recommend the Premier Protein shake diet. It is well worth it. Usually they want u to lose 10% of your weight prior to surgery. It helps when you see the surgeon. Hope that helps.

Thanks that did help, alot.. just anxious! :-} Do you do labs and the rest of the work up you mentioned congruent to the options class ??

Usually the labs should be done prior to starting the class. The X-ray can be done anytime. It's better to have all the requirements done before you finish class. If its just like the faster you do everything then the faster you can get your referral to the surgeon. I actually waited a year after I finished the class to make sure what I really wanted. Ask your coordinator what you need to complete. If you are active on KP.org then they send emails to periodically tell you what you still need to complete.

Yes they are mandatory from my understanding. From what I have seen and heard from others Kaiser pretty much approves you once you are enrolled in the options class. You do however , need to complete and pass the labs and psych evaluation. If all is well there then you meet with the surgeon and are given a date. The options classes are to ensure you as the patient understand the permanent lifestyle changes needed to be successful

Lifestyle changes you will have to make after the surgery . Also during options you are suppose to loose 10% of your body weight

To get into an options class you pcp should refer you for bariatric surgery . That referral goes to education and training. They first mail you a package about WLS and ask you to call and schedule to attend an orientation. Once you attend thw orientation they will let you enroll in the options program if you are interested in any of their WLS options. Kaiser does lap band, the sleeve, and the ryn-y

No not yet.. still have more classes to go. I hope it will be soon after though.. thank u and good luck to you also.

What time are the options classes that you go To I'm just wondering if they are after work or during working hours I'm a teacher so I'm trying to see if I'll be able to come to the class

The option classes for my group was offered on tue at 6pm, wed at 6pm, or monday morning I believe 10 am.. which ever one you choose you have to stay in for the whole time. You can only miss 2 classes then you will be dropped. If you miss any classes they do have to be made up. They weigh you every class and you are given a binder with 12 week worth of booklets you go over. The class is 90 minutes. If u are late more than 15 min u will have to make up. No children allowed or friends.. sounds kind of strict, I know! However, a small price to pay for getting sleeved amd beginning life.. I hope this helps you