Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for Ladies over 50!

If there was something you could do to prevent hair loss, you can be sure it would be being sold to us WLS patients ;-)

Biotin, Vitamins, Protein etc all help the re growth. But if you are going to lose hair, it will happen despite your best efforts. The shock of the surgery and the early days of little Protein apparently contribute to why you lose hair.

But it varies hugely from person to person, so it might be v little all the way to a lot. Try not to worry about it, stress makes it worse ... It will pass....

Biotin will keep the hair in great condition but it will not prevent the hair loss.Getting all your Protein will help with the amount you lose. I am 4 months out and haven't really lost anything yet but I wanted to be ready. I spoke with my hair stylist and he told me about a product that he has given to people with baldness and said it did bring new growth for them. It is called Revita and is a follicle stimulator which promotes growth. You can order it on Amazon. I have been using it for about a month and last week I went to him and he checked my head and there is new growth all over. Yes, naturally you will have growth but this is all over and looks great. I know some will say that nothing helps but he went to seminars on the product and swears by it. In addition he doesn't push product I had to have him order it for me because he didn't feel like I would lose hair but I knew better! I will most likely lose hair because it doesn't prevent Hair loss but stimulates the follicles so it will grow back quicker plus I have new hair coming in already to hopefully offset what I do lose. This is just my opinion and attempt at being proactive. My next purchase of this will be on Amazon....cheaper! :)

I lost a lot of hair after my hysterectomy 7 years ago and didn't think I would with this. I just had my hair cut and colored this week and there is a TON of new hair about 1" long coming in. Neither my stylist or myself had really noticed how much I had lost before this week.

Hi, what kind of Vitamins is everyone taking? I'm a month out and like to start what I can for this hair issue..

Thanks !!!

hair loss is tricky, some times it could mean your thyroid is low too. You might want to have your blood work done and make sure everything is in balance. Good luck to you!

Did all my Protein and vits. Still lost half my hair starting around 5 months out. Biotin didn't help. Sigh.

Have not noticed loss of public hair, although its nice to be able to see that part of my body again!!! Ha!

I have been losing hair from about 5 months out from surgery to now, 9 months out. Hair loss is sooooo disturbing to me. However, in the past few weeks, I have seen baby hair growing, so I know regrowth is happening. Whew!!

I expected hair loss because its a natural reaction to the stress of drastic weight loss on the body-- Ive read many scientific reports that document that theres no way to prevent it.

However, something I have not read about is the brittleness of my nails. I have gone from consistently long and strong nails, to nails that split and crack. I can't even get them to grow out before they break off. Anyone heard of this?

I'm 58 years old, and 17 years past complete hysterectomy and have very little pubic hair left. Did cut down on the hair on my legs, too, though, so that was a bonus! I told my hairdresser about getting ready to have the surgery (hopefully, 8/11/14) and that I might start losing hair and she just laughed and laughed and said, "Oh, then you'll be down here with the rest of us!". I have a lot of head hair. We'll see what happens. Take care, everyone.

I've lost head hair. So I cropped it,and that made my hair look thicker. I haven't noticed if I've lost pubic hair, or not. It didn't seem to affect my excess facial hair any????.