Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do I have to follow the South Beach diet

Hello everyone,

I had my initial consultation a week and a half ago and I am already scheduled for the procedure at the end of February. I can't believe how fast everything is going.

So far everyone I have met with is recomending that I follow the South Beach diet for life after the procedure. This came from my Primary doc, the surgeon, and the psych doc. All three mentioned that it allows for fruits, where the Atkins does not. I have not yet met with the nutritionist, but I am sure he will recomend the same thing since he is connected with the surgeon.

My question is this - I thought the point of the band to make me feel full on smaller portions. Why do I need to follow a low carb diet? I have already tried Atkins 5 times and failed. I will definately address this with the nutritionist next week, but I was hoping to get your feeback.

Thanks!!

I was not told to do that - I can tell you however if I do eat bread, rice or Pasta I am full in 2 bites. I have been very sucessful and havent missed the carbs. I still have everything I want besides those three things...best of luck to you!

Hello everyone,

I had my initial consultation a week and a half ago and I am already scheduled for the procedure at the end of February. I can't believe how fast everything is going.

So far everyone I have met with is recomending that I follow the South Beach diet for life after the procedure. This came from my Primary doc, the surgeon, and the psych doc. All three mentioned that it allows for fruits, where the Atkins does not. I have not yet met with the nutritionist, but I am sure he will recomend the same thing since he is connected with the surgeon.

My question is this - I thought the point of the band to make me feel full on smaller portions. Why do I need to follow a low carb diet? I have already tried Atkins 5 times and failed. I will definately address this with the nutritionist next week, but I was hoping to get your feeback.

Thanks!!

You dont - but each and every doctor is different and has their own ideas.

They dont recommend stuff liek that in Australia and the band is very successful here. I've lost almost to my goal weight just by eating what I want to when I want to (healthy choices of course) and I eat bread every day and dont avoid carbs.

Certain people - particularly those suffering polycystic ovaries - do way better on lower carb diets and processed carbs like white flour (cakes, Cookies, white bread) are no good for anybody and best saved for very occasionally. But I eat plenty of wholegrain bread, oats, stuff like that, without them you're missing out an entire food group and many important nutrients, not to mention lacking fibre. You DONT have to cut them out to lose but it seems to be the fashion.

I'd eat what I wanted personally and just nod and agree with the doctor, but that's perhaps not a responsible thing to advocate. I'm just glad I didnt get any instructions like that!

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm not going to let the nutritionist steam-roll me into a plan that I don't think I will follow long term. I will ask for several options.

The South Beach philosophy will work very well with the band. It restricts foods you shouldn't have anyway (like white bread and rice and white noodles that swell in your pouch and make you uncomfortable). I'd say, review the book again and view it as a guide for your new healthy lifestyle, not as a straight-jacket. In real life you are allowed some treats, but if overall you have a heart-healthy lifestyle, those treats won't be ALL you eat so you will feel good.

My question is this - I thought the point of the band to make me feel full on smaller portions. Why do I need to follow a low carb diet?
Because whereas dieters may count calories of fat grams, many of us have to count our Protein grams. If we don't, and don't get sufficient intake, our bodies will begin to metabolize our muscle. So the bandster rule is that Protein comes first. And that's pretty much the same motto as Atkins, SB, or any other carb restrictive diet.

In addition, most of the foods that are avoided or very limited with low carb diets (processed flour products) are hit or miss with the band, and generally considered to be problem foods, in terms of their ability to clear the stoma.

And as for refined sugars, in moderation, always. Atkins allows some. SB allows some. For bansters, some. I always figure - if I'm only going to eat a cup or two of food today, how much of that do I want to be junk, and how much do I want to be nutritious?

I eat carbs, but I try to make them healthy carbs. E.g. Beans and grains (love Wasa with some hummus spread on) versus candy and fillers. IMO it's not the carbs, it's the type of carbs that get you.

Since my banding 11 months ago I have eaten anything and everything I feel like eating, and have lost nearly 80 pounds. So I don't think weight loss has anything to do with carbs or no carbs, but rather, calories.

That being said, I do eat a healthy, varied diet that includes a huge variety of foods, including whole grains, Beans, tofu and lean meats as well as sweets, fats, and fried foods. Nothing is off limits any more and that is the beauty of the band!

Here is a typical day for me:

Protein shake (which includes all of my daily Vitamins and minerals)

cheese and crackers for a snack

Wine

Grilled tofu, salad, and dessert

So you can see I have high-fat cheese, processed crackers, and a sweet on a typical day, but not every single day. I basically eat whatever I feel like on a given day. Some days I feel like having fried food, other days I feel like having Beans and tofu. Most days are a mixed of healthy and treats.

I am strong supporter of calories in/calories out determines weight loss or gain.

And hey, when you're only eating three bites of cake, how bad can it really be?

Good luck!

I totally agree Sunta.

I think its personality dependent too though - some people really like to live to a plan, they love the discipline and focus.

I must do low carb or the band does nothing for me. Sugar goes down easy, so do carbs (mashed potatoes, stuffing, ice cream). Sugar also increases your cravings for sugar, so it just has a cycle to it.

South Beach allows too many carbs for my system, so I follow Atkins (which does allow for fruit BTW).

If you are female, I recommend the Schwartzbein Principal plan because it is low carb but also has a Vitamin plan. Females will fail on low carb long term (studies show) if they do not have Vitamins. I stayed low carb for 3 years before taking my Vitamins.< /p>

I got back on the no carb wagon the end of December. The band allows me to limit my portions of low carb food, which is great, and I have noticed my waist size shrinking...

South Beach frozen dinners are also great when you are in a pinch... so don't just write it off because it is a "diet". You are going to have to change your diet, the band will not do that for you.

I tend to discourage dieting, but as far as "guidelines" to follow, the South Beach Diet is quite healthy. I would certainly use whole wheat Pasta, etc. rather than no Pasta, brown rice instead of white, etc.

If I had to stick to a diet, this is the one I would do because I do consider it quite healthy and safe. But I would stay away from the processed Kraft SBD foods.

BTW, it's not a low-carb diet. It's a low simple carb diet.