Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there *really* a honeymoon period?

I was told that there is a "window of opportunity" of about 18 months or so after surgery to maximize weight loss. I am very much a newbie, but would appreciate some veteran insight.

Hello all. I am currently in a stall, and it is depressing. I had surgery about 1.5 months ago and have lost about 28 lbs since then. When you look at the scale each day the stalls can be maddening. That said, 28 lbs in 45 days is in reality very fast weight loss.

I think it is important to consider the affect of Water weight loss versus fat weight loss. I started prepping for my surgery back in March and lost 90 lbs from March 1 to July 25. My surgery was July 25 and I gained 10 lbs of liquid in the hospital, then lost 38 lbs since then to net out at 118 lbs.

My surgeon explained that losing a couple lbs a week is much healthier for me than big weight swings. So from my point of view it is best to stay true to the diet goals but don't sweat the scale so much.

As for a honeymoon, I think the 18 month concept of a "honeymoon" means that typically patients get from 50% to 80% of excess weight off in that time. This means you are not too far from your optimum weight and continued weight loss and maintenance requires you to be extremely diligent in your diet or you will start gaining again.

The good news is that your sleeve will help you keep eating small quantities and that missing 85% of your stomach will probably help curb appetite. It is a honeymoon in that you have until that point to address issues like emotional eating so you can have long term success.

I think what you're going through is very normal, keep the faith.

Wow thank you all so much for your insights.. I found them very helpful. In terms of exercise, I recently re-started with my Personal Trainer who has designed a marvellous programme for me to work around my knee and I'm burning quite a few calories doing that! I've also re-started walking and when my knee is not in painful mode, I am taking daily walks when I can for a 2 or 3 miles each time. Having lost 40lbs I'm already finding doing these walks easier than I did before, I'm not huffing and puffing quite so much! That's a great feeling!

I like the term 'window of opportunity' too, and I was interested that it could be 18 months.. that gives me faith that I will have time to really lose the weight and keep it off in that time despite doing it at such a leisurely pace! I used to be a very big eater, large portions every meal and the feeling of fullness after 4 or 5 bites per meal is a revelation! I love it!

When I am in a loosing phase, I feel confident that I will finally melt off this fat once and for all and get to a goal, and then when I stall I start to doubt that this will work, hence the re-assurance I'm seeking. It is gratefully received. thank you!

This is not a sprint - it is a marathon. And you know what is awesome? You have made the incredibly courageous decision to have a permanent tool installed surgically to help you with this for the rest of your life.

I am also no sprinter in the WL arena - at 48' date=' 5'3" and feeling the change coming on with osteo arthritis that was a nightmare in my knees hips and ankles I too have issues to make losing and keeping it off an ongoing challenge. You will get there - practice mindfulness, patience, and follow your doctors orders.

I too, like most of us have lost and gained back hundreds and hundreds of lbs. over my life - this is the first time I am not gaining it back, the scale doesn't jump back up and keep climbing the way it used to - I know that I can gain it back if I revert to my old habits.

I lost 30 lbs. in almost a year of nutritional counseling, 14 lbs. in the 2 weeks prior to surgery (hello Atkins),and the other 103 lbs. have come off in the now 15.5 months since my surgery. I have 31 lbs. to go for the upper range of my goal - which is a "normal" BMI. Did I lose it in 6 months - gee that sure would have been cool but that is not my path. My path will simply take a bit longer and hopefully be scenic :) Since I have stalls often these days - I think I can wrap my mind around what maintenance at a healthy weight is - and it is great! I honestly don't feel deprived at all and that means I can practice it indefinitely. That is how I look at this now - much like I counsel my students about their artistic practice, this has become my own and my family's health and wellness practice - and it does take practice.

Yes there is a honeymoon window - yes the best chances of getting the EWL off is during the first 24 month post surgery. If I am not there on May 21, 2014 will it stop me from losing every ounce of my excess weight - heck no it wont. I plan to keep on going, I don't care if it take me the rest of my freakin life to lose these last 31 lbs. I will get there ;)[/quote']

I love your attitude towards your journey... I'm literally in tears over here!! Congrats on your success!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

This is not a sprint - it is a marathon. And you know what is awesome? You have made the incredibly courageous decision to have a permanent tool installed surgically to help you with this for the rest of your life.

I am also no sprinter in the WL arena - at 48, 5'3" and feeling the change coming on with osteo arthritis that was a nightmare in my knees hips and ankles I too have issues to make losing and keeping it off an ongoing challenge. You will get there - practice mindfulness, patience, and follow your doctors orders.

I too, like most of us have lost and gained back hundreds and hundreds of lbs. over my life - this is the first time I am not gaining it back, the scale doesn't jump back up and keep climbing the way it used to - I know that I can gain it back if I revert to my old habits.

I lost 30 lbs. in almost a year of nutritional counseling, 14 lbs. in the 2 weeks prior to surgery (hello Atkins),and the other 103 lbs. have come off in the now 15.5 months since my surgery. I have 31 lbs. to go for the upper range of my goal - which is a "normal" BMI. Did I lose it in 6 months - gee that sure would have been cool but that is not my path. My path will simply take a bit longer and hopefully be scenic :) Since I have stalls often these days - I think I can wrap my mind around what maintenance at a healthy weight is - and it is great! I honestly don't feel deprived at all and that means I can practice it indefinitely. That is how I look at this now - much like I counsel my students about their artistic practice, this has become my own and my family's health and wellness practice - and it does take practice.

Yes there is a honeymoon window - yes the best chances of getting the EWL off is during the first 24 month post surgery. If I am not there on May 21, 2014 will it stop me from losing every ounce of my excess weight - heck no it wont. I plan to keep on going, I don't care if it take me the rest of my freakin life to lose these last 31 lbs. I will get there ;)

Chimera, thank you for your amazing response, we have a lot in common! I'm nearly 48 and had my surgery May 21st 2013, one year behind you to the day! I too suffer from arthritis of both knees and have been told I will need a double knee replacement at some point. Thankfully I only hobble about when my knee flares up, most days I seem completely normal. Your attitude is fantastic and I feel very much the same way. I'm not gonna win prizes for speed of loss but who cares if we all get to the finishing line! Thanks again.for your great advice.

Fran x

Hello all. I am currently in a stall, and it is depressing. I had surgery about 1.5 months ago and have lost about 28 lbs since then. When you look at the scale each day the stalls can be maddening. That said, 28 lbs in 45 days is in reality very fast weight loss.

I think it is important to consider the affect of Water weight loss versus fat weight loss. I started prepping for my surgery back in March and lost 90 lbs from March 1 to July 25. My surgery was July 25 and I gained 10 lbs of liquid in the hospital, then lost 38 lbs since then to net out at 118 lbs.

My surgeon explained that losing a couple lbs a week is much healthier for me than big weight swings. So from my point of view it is best to stay true to the diet goals but don't sweat the scale so much.

As for a honeymoon, I think the 18 month concept of a "honeymoon" means that typically patients get from 50% to 80% of excess weight off in that time. This means you are not too far from your optimum weight and continued weight loss and maintenance requires you to be extremely diligent in your diet or you will start gaining again.

The good news is that your sleeve will help you keep eating small quantities and that missing 85% of your stomach will probably help curb appetite. It is a honeymoon in that you have until that point to address issues like emotional eating so you can have long term success.

I think what you're going through is very normal, keep the faith.

EEK!!! 30 pounds in LESS than 2 months!!!

WOW!!!

So....

STOP weighing every day, it'll drive you crazy and make you 'think' that AMAZING weight loss isn't good enough.