Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello. I am new to Vertical Sleeve Talk but I am not new to a sleeve. I had my surgery on 4/25/2011. I did really good for the first year but this year has been a bit rough. I have had some health issues (wrist injury) which caused me to be pretty much house bound for 6 weeks but it interfered with my ability to exercise for the past 3 months. Before this issue I had hit a plateau about half way to my goal weight.

At this point I have decided that I need to do a system reboot. This system reboot includes:

1. Finding a support community that understands what it is like to live with a VSG

2. Start eating according to plan again

3. Re-read my bariatric support books that helped me learn about life after surgery

4. Start a new exercise program that will accommodate my healing process (post ECU translocation)

5. Find out the true size of my sleeve by doing the Cottage cheese test (it is 6 - 7 ounces)

I am hoping that this thread will be beneficial to anyone who is also in need of a "System Reboot" and that together we can make it to our final goal weights together.

You've come to the right place! We'll give you plenty of support and I imagine there are others in a similar position.

Welcome!! I think it's great that you are "rebooting your system" and finding a community for support. That is the KEY to a successful maintenance. Good luck with your "new journey" and finding your goal weight!

I'm in the same boat as you. I am 3+ years out. A marriage and a baby (now 18 months) old. What is this pouch test with cottage cheese? Why is it used?

The Cottage cheese Test

• Purchase a container of small curd low-fat cottage cheese.
  • Begin the test with a full container of cottage cheese, and perform the test in the morning before eating anything else. This will be your Breakfast on that day.
  • Eat fairly quickly until you feel full (less than five minutes). Note that the small soft curds do not require much chewing. You are eating rapidly so you will fill the pouch before there is time for any food to flow out of it. After eating your "fill" of cottage cheese, you will be left with a partially eaten container that has an empty space where cottage cheese used to be.
  • Measure the volume of cottage cheese you have eaten by filling a two cup (16 fl.oz.) measuring cup with Water. Pour water into the container of cottage cheese until the water level rises to the original top level of the cottage cheese.
  • The amount of water poured into the container is the functional size of your pouch.

http://www.bsciresourcecenter.com/proddetail.php?prod=A4

If someone can not palate cottage cheese...is there another option??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using VST

Preety, I'm not sure but I think you could use anything of the same consistancy (maybe yogurt or mashed potatoes) as long as you know the starting weight of the food and can detrrmine the volume eaten. There may also be a contact at the site posted that you could pose the question.

If you find out please lert us know. I will also do some research to see if I can find an answer.

First full day of reboot is done. It has been a success on several layers. I have measured my food and food that I am filled on between 5 and 7 ounces of food. I did find myself grazing on beef Jerky during the late afternoon. My work day was ending and was sitting in a meeting and there it was and I just started nibbling. I didn't measure, just opened the bag and started in. I did catch myself about 20 minutes in and put the bag away. This is a bad habit that I have to break!

I have been working on getting all my Fluid in, which has historically has been a problem to the point of having having to be hospitalized for dehydration.

Tonight as a reminder point I am listing the signs and symptoms of dehydration:

Symptoms

By mayo Clinic staff

Mild to moderate dehydration is likely to cause:

· Dry, sticky mouth

· Sleepiness or tiredness

· Thirst

· Decreased urine output

· Few or no tears when crying

· Dry skin

· Headache

· Constipation

· Dizziness or lightheadedness

Severe dehydration, a medical emergency, can cause:

· Extreme thirst

· Irritability and confusion

· Very dry mouth, skin and mucous membranes

· Lack of sweating

· Little or no urination — any urine that is produced will be dark yellow or amber

· Sunken eyes

· Shriveled and dry skin that lacks elasticity and doesn't "bounce back" when pinched into a fold

· Low blood pressure

· Rapid heartbeat

· Rapid breathing

· No tears when crying

· Fever

·
In the most serious cases, delirium or unconsciousness

Here's to Day 2 of System Reboot.

If someone can not palate cottage cheese...is there another option??

I have done a bit more research and have read of two alternatives that might be used (note that neither suggestion was from a medical site): oatmeal or ricotta cheese.< /p>

Hope that helps. Please remember you can also check with your surgeon or bariatric support center for additional information.

I have done a bit more research and have read of two alternatives that might be used (note that neither suggestion was from a medical site): oatmeal or ricotta cheese.

Hope that helps. Please remember you can also check with your surgeon or bariatric support center for additional information.

Thank you so much. I am going to use the indian cottage cheese called Paneer. Not a big fan but what the heck...worth a try... :) Goodluck to you with the Water. I carry a marked bottle with me which i manage to finish on my commute to work. Refill it at work and finish that on the way back. Drinking all your Water in short span of time is not recommended so keep that in mind when you plan your hydration goal :) cheers!

Hi BillieLou. I am in the same boat as you pretty much. I had VSG in June 2011 and lost 100+ lbs.the 1st year. I started at 292 and got down to 187 at my lightest. Then I stopped losing and gained back to 195 where I am now. I am holding steady but I know if I keep doing what I'm doing (eating too much and not exercising enough) that I will gain some more.

I battle with depression and stress and I self-medicate by eating carbs. I did so well at first but once I gave in "just one time" that's all it took. Now I crave carbs as much as I ever did.

I would do a ticker but I can't figure out how. LOL! But I want to get down to 150. I remember being there as a young adult and I felt great and people told me I looked thin. So that's my goal I would like to be at.

I will be here with you and we can help each other. I like your attitude.

Hi. Wanted to give an update on the System Reboot now that week 1 is done. It has been a very good week, I have not felt hungry, I have been getting all my Fluid (except for Saturday - which I will get into in a moment), and I have lost 4 pounds.

Overall last week was typical and I maintained eating 4 ounces of Protein and 3 ounces of fruits or veggies at each meal. I have found the wonderful Koolaid SF liquid flavoring (Cherry is my fav) and it has helped me to control my sweet craving and get all my Fluid in. Saturday was a bit of a crazy day - was so busy and I didn't have any way to carry my Water with me. Need to not let this happen.

My goal for this week is to start adding in a some exercise now that I have been cleared by the Dr. I am going to start by using my stationary bike and doing some basic strength exercise at home.

Thank you everyone for your support.

BillieLou

BillieLou, that's great. Sounds like your head is in the right place. I'm still struggling but not giving up yet. Hang in there!