Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fluoro shows restriction but I don't feel it!

Has anyone had this problem. I'd love some advice. My fluoro showed restriction at my last fill, but I never did feel any. They had me drink Water while I was there and asked me if I felt the restriction, and I didn't then...and I still don't. I asked the Dr's office about it and they said they trust the fluoroscope and I can't get more of a fill. Odd that they don't trust the patient...but then I was talking to office staff and just left a message for the nurse..... Anyway, right now I'm feeling like I paid $15000 for restriction...I don't have it, and I can't get it. Anybody have any suggestions of anything I can do to feel that restriction? Thanks.

What size band do you have? Did the dr say why he won't give you any more fills? I'd be upset too if I were you but I wouldn't give up. Talk to the dr again and again until he listens.

You can asked to be filled by Dr. Spivak. He will do it if you request it. Some people only have their fills done by him. When I had my first fill he showed up right after my fill and I was told that by the facilitator. I hope it gets better.

Well, oddly enough, Monday I called the Surgicenter to talk with Joy, and Dr. Spivak's office to talk with the nirse. Left both a message explaining my dilemma and asking a question, and neither called me back. I'm not hard to get along with, haven't been demanding, am soft spoken, and am sane. No reason to avoid me. Just doesn't seem like their usual standard of care......

I am sure that you must be frustrated. I hope that you get this resolved. I had my first fill on 01/04 (1.7cc) and will have my second on 01/29. I do not feel any restriction now and I hope that they will give me more than they gave you on your second fill. Surely someone will call you back today.

Hi, I am six days out from my fill to 2.5cc's and I feel minimal restriction. I actually feel less than before I went in. This happened to me before and it did finally come. I am counting on the same thing happening but last time it took 8 days. My doctor says that your body/swelling/all kinds of other stuff adjusts and you might not feel it right away...anyway, he says 4 weeks before he will do a tweak. My one experience with major restriction right away was absolute hell and I ended up getting unfilled. They should call you back but I think it would be helpful to keep in mind that for some people (definitely me) this is a slower experience than one expects. The doctors/nurses probably don't share your sense of urgency because the restriction and loss will come and there are more problems if you rush it. My surgery date was 2/14/06 and I have lost 57lbs. (Only 4 since September...trust me...under all circumstances you do not want an overfill--they are just trying to pace you and prevent this.) Hang in there and let us know how you feel and what they say.

What is it that you're expecting to "feel" with restriction? I don't actually feel restriction. I didn't even realize that I had pretty decent restriction until I got a little over-filled and then had to have some fill taken out. Restriction should be very subtle, or else you probably are over-filled. All it means is that you are satisfied (not full!) after eating 1 c. or so food at each meal, and then you have reduced hunger for 3-4 hours.

Tami

I am at 2.4 cc in my 4cc band. I don't feel restriction like I hoped I would either.

My dr. won't just do a fill because I say I need one. I KNOW that before I can have another fill my dr. will want to see a food journal from me. They want to make sure that we are using the band as a tool and not expecting the band to do all the work.

I know that for me. a lot of my problem is eating for reasons other than feeling hungry. At night, when the kids are in bed, the house is clean and my time is my own I get a lot of "head hunger".

Good luck, I too am hoping to get to my sweet spot when the weight comes off consistenetly. Don't give up!

I would call the surgicenter and ask for Dr. Spivak to give you a fill. They can schedule the appointment. You will have to make sure that 2 weeks has gone by since your fill and that you haven't lost weight. If you are losing they are less apt to give you a fill.

Also, make sure that you are NOT getting full. That is, can you eat a whole chicken breast and your sides at one meal? Can you eat more than 1 1/2 cups of food at one sitting? Are you getting hungry between meals? Are you not drinking until at least 1 hour after meals? If you are answering yes to these you probably need a fill. If not, you are probably adjusting to your restriction and just not getting a "hard" stop signal.

As others have said it takes time to get to the sweet spot. I'm still not there yet, but overfills are the devil's work. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the support! It helps. I went ahead yesterday and emailed the office, and did get an email back by the end of the day. She says I can go in for a fill right away, and offered to see me next week to go over diet, etc. I'll wait until after I see her before I schedule a fill. Certainly want to make sure that's what I need.

I do feel some subtle things....able to stop even if I want more, but no sense of fill. But I also know that yesterday for lunch I had a slice of healthy meat loaf, a side salad, 6 berries---all totalling 6 oz. and then was still hungry and had a whole chicken breast. From the restriction I saw on the fluoroscope, that shouldn't have been even possible, in my mind.

i somnly 1.6 an di defintly feel it , biut im still onshakes if i est anything at all i can eat a few tablespooons of food at all or i reguritate- iw as 178 when he fviklekd me im an actres and i didnt wantt o play moms in lifetime smovies yet, the globes didnt help either- my goal is to get into a size four, but im in shakes stillm is thatthe mistakle im making- i ahve shake sallday all night0- Isopure an dskim milk- im gonna count calorci intake of this isopure- that may be the problem i think "oh i can have allteh shakes i want: biut imn defintly restriucted hardcore when it comes tof ood at just 1.6, bit i want to get to 2, becaus ei want the shakes to KEEP me full. they go right through me and i think a colonic migjht be in order as well, theyre going to start marketing lapbands tp people with high 20s and 30s bmis the lao band repswere in the office- my other actress friends kjnow ive had it and they all are horrified an dthink ive had gastrom wich i could nte get if i eanted , i know i need to be doing more cardio , m doing yopga an dpilates and heat wraps wich are insaley expensive because the kopoky lady who does them has the biggest directors in the world etc as clients but she s giut this 6500 dollars a WEEK for frickin heat wraos and she sells you that if you just do it two eweeks youllsee a change- well tonights my last obne and id ont see a change, now shes tell,king me she got mr movie stars wife froma n eight to a two in three months im sorry i dont have that kind of money.

i cant barely eat now at 1,6 let alone 2 but i want a 2, dr liu was scared i as taking too much for a first fill- one womena wa sin gettingheres iunfiled die to acid reflux.

any advice- should i try to eat more food? and less shakes>? its not like im drinling instant cbrekfast or chocalte ice cream or anything BAD- skim milk and no carb ispure juts quote alot of them, an dthey dont keep me fullfor long and im into feeeling full,

any help would be greatly appreacoted ive onl;y lost 11 pounds ina month and cant present at grammies or go to fashionw eeek or leave to go shipping in cas ei get caiught my size eights arent even fitting me, im still verymuch betwen a 10 and an 8. ill be so greatful when i get to a 6.

and on my knees ha;lelujah when i getto waorkingactress four!

gobnna be

gonnabethin,

You are not going to feel any restriction if you stay on liquids. Not matter how tight the band is, the liquids will always just go on through the band. It isn't designed that way. It is designed to hold food, solid food, in the upper pouch to make you not hungry for a longer period of time. It is also important not to drink anything for at least an hour after you eat the solid food. It keeps you from washing it on through and you will get hungry a lot sooner if you do it.

Good luck to you. I hope you make it to the size 4's.

I'm drinking my Water in the correct amounts and at the right times. I am succeeding beautifully at Breakfast. From lunch on, I don't feel anything from the band, and am food-seeking. Even on days when I eat challenging solid Proteins and veges and drink my water correctly and eat slowly and chew chew chew, I can eat just about any amount. I decided to disrupt the afternoon and exercise then instead of in the morning, but it hasn't changed either the craving or the amount of food I can eat without sensing anything. Interestingly, I know from breakfast that with the slight hint of fullness, I'm good at stopping and walking away, so I'm looking forward to having that help the rest of the day. I'm guessing I'll probably end up not being able to eat much of a breakfast and being comfortable throughout the rest of the day. The nurse said they like to wait 3 weeks before a next fill, "but we don't live in a perfect world". I'm looking forward to talking with her, and I think I'm pretty well convinced that I need another fill too.

Hi, I was banded on Oct. 3rd and had my first fill in November right before Thanksgiving. I felt some restriction but not alot. Then I went back on December 19th ,got another fill. This made a total of 1 1/2cc in a 10cc band. I still haven't felt much restriction since then either.

I went to New York City for Christmas and ate anything I wanted, just not a whole lot. This was a good thing because I didn't want my Christmas holiday ruined with PBing and such.

All that to say this......it's been 32 days since my last fill and I am now feeling real restriction in just the last few days! I guess it takes longer with some people.I had an appointment last week for another fill and I canceled because I felt I was doing OK and was feeling some restriction beginning.

I wqas alos at a standstill with my weightloss and in the last few days, it's picked up again.

We just have to get to know our bands. This is a honeymmon period of sorts.