Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BOILED PEANUTS! AWESOME!

It's that time of year here in the south, green peanuts are out in the produce stands. For those of you who have never had them, let me explain. When peanuts are first pulled, they are green(not literally green) just raw and fresh and the shells are still fairly tender, they are really big in size due to the moisture they still hold. It's really easy, you just wash them well, put them in a large pot cover them with Water add salt to taste and let boil for a couple of hours until they are soft an the salt Water had soaked into the shell. Really soft and easy to eat and a great source of Protein . I have not had my sleeve done yet(oct.) but

post-63475-13813669273917_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking it will set ok in my tummy once I am on soft to solid foods. Here in Louisiana a lot of people like to add Cajun crab boil to give them that spicy kick. Just be careful not to use too much salt.

Not a fan of boiled peanuts and I live in Virginia. I do love salted in the shell, though. They work fine for my sleeve. I thought the same as you about the boiled peanuts when we passed through Smithfield last week. Too bad I don't like them!

Thank you for this post. You just took me back to my childhood. My grandfather made these for us each summer when we would go to visit him in the south :) . Now I have to figure out how to get some here in AZ.

I am from Louisiana but now live in Pa. I don't like boiled peanuts, but I do like the crab boil in boiled potatoes. I have several bottles of the stuff. My husband who is from Pa knows when I am cooking the potatoes because he can smell them in the basement when he comes in the door.

My Mom's fam is from NC and let me tell you, I could not do those wet nuts (we called them). However, I have found nuts settle okay in my tummy (most sensitive tummy on the planet) in small amounts so you should be good.

My cousin from down South was just telling me about these. I'd love to try them sometime.

daadelishopeful, not sure where you are located in AZ, but LeeLee Asian Market, they have locations in Tucson and Phoenix, have the green peanuts, they are located in the produce section, just ask someone. Many of the ethnic markets have them, they are used a lot in African cooking, so are in high demand. I just picked some up about 2 weeks ago. They were REALLY fresh.

Thank you for this post. You just took me back to my childhood. My grandfather made these for us each summer when we would go to visit him in the south :) . Now I have to figure out how to get some here in AZ.

There is a guy in a nearby town (bogalusa) that boils peanuts year round and bags them up and goes around and sells them to business and at fairs high school parking lots the hospital etc. A friend of his told me he actually buys large sacks of raw dried peanuts and them boils them in huge pots outside, like we boil crawfish. Since the shells are dry, it takes high heat and a long time to cook but it can be done. He wears a tshirt and has a big sign on his van that says. "Get ya money in ya hand and come see the peanut man" LOL. He sells roasted peanuts also but nothing like those boiled ones. Around here people just love these things.!

Mmmmmm...boiled peanuts! They are wonderful & always evoke so many memories for me. I love seeing the plume of smoke from the cauldron on the side of the road that means you can buy them still warm. Yummy!

Wow! My hubby just brought me some back from a recent trip to Georgia. I haven't warmed them up and eaten them yet. I hope they are still good when I do! Do you know how long they will keep once they are boiled?

Well I keep mine in the frig, and dont ever warm them up

I would nt worry too much about the salt, cause you aint gonna be able to eat enough to make a difference

Wow! My hubby just brought me some back from a recent trip to Georgia. I haven't warmed them up and eaten them yet. I hope they are still good when I do! Do you know how long they will keep once they are boiled?

We usually boil up a big batch and freeze them in individual bags. Just take them out when you want some and thaw them out. I love them cold!

Do you shell them? Or eat them skin, shell & all?

You shell them, but some of the baby ones have such a soft shell, you can eat the whole thing. Peanuts are legumes so the are in the same family as a lot of Beans and peas. Look at the picture on my original post,you can see where I have opened one so you can see what the actual peanut looks like.

mmmm boiled peanuts with salt that makes your lips wrinkle. Especially when they're still warm. I used to eat them as a child. I don't really know where to get them now. Pity.