Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please respond, I need some guidance!

Hello everyone,

I am looking for as much guidance as possible. I am very excited for this VSG surgery (September 9). I am feeling a little uneasy for many reasons. One, I am doing this alone. I am getting it done in Mexico, where my mother had hers done. I have only heard exceptional things about all aspects of the journey there. The staff, doctors, drivers, the stay itself etc. I am 23 years old and am still kind of a baby when it comes to going out into the unknown, so far from home (Oregon). I have a million questions, even after doing a bunch of research. I suppose I will list some and see where this goes.

1. I am a smoker, and as much as I would like to not be, it is hard to quit. My surgery is coming up soon and I am quitting cold turkey. Any ideas to keep away from that post-op? I also do think once the surgery is done, my outlook on cigarettes will change dramatically because I feel this is a total reboot, but who knows.

2. How soon after surgery can I start working out? I have been planning on some cardio and strength training... I do not want to go too hard, too soon, but have heard even after two weeks of surgery one can go back to a normal workout routine. (I am signed up for a walking class in the fall, because I didn't want to go too hard post op)

3. Loose skin: should this be a worry of mine? 200-205 lbs currently, 23 years old. How can I really minimize that?

4.Best Protein shake suppliments? What to mix with to lessen the nasty taste?

5. I am a big baby and get overly nervous for a surgery. Although I know every individual is different, what can I expect post-op the day of my surgery, and day after. Pain scales, nausea?

I am sure I will be posting more questions on this, thank you for your time guys, it means so much!

Mariah

What doctor are you going to? I went to Mexico too. I'll try to answer some of your questions below:

1. I'm not a smoker, so someone else has to chime in on this one.

2. No, two weeks is WAY too soon for a serious workout. You can do light workout (walking, swimming, stationary bike, etc) for the first several weeks, but nothing like weight lifting until at least 6 weeks out.

3. You seem young enough and with not a huge amount to lose.... it's ultimately genetic, but you may be able to get away with very little to no loose skin.

4. Everyone likes different shakes... it's very much a taste thing. Right now I am drinking this one from GNC called AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 - chocolate. I like the taste of it. At first you will have to mix it with Water... you can't be drinking really thick things. But after a while you can mix it with milk, or whatever, blend some fruit in... whatever you like.

5. The first day when you wake up from surgery you probably won't be feeling much b/c you are still under the morphine or whatever they give you... at least I was. I found it hard to stay awake that first day... kept dozing off, waking up, dozing off.... there is some pain the next few days, but they should give you something for that. Overall, mine was a very easy recovery. The pain was nothing excruciating or unbearable. More like just being really sore.

If you happen to have my same doctor, I can give you more specific info of what to expect. Otherwise, good luck!! :-)

Hello fellow Oregonian!

1. Quitting smoking is hard, no doubt about it. I quit 10 years ago. Does it make much sense trying to get yourself healthy and smoke at the same time? If you are looking to make a change in your life, then make a change. The VSG journey can be stressful at times as you confront some of the unknown demons with (possible) issues with your relationship with food. Consult your PCP about smoking cessation options now.

2. I was told 6 weeks. That is when you get our of the 'possible leak' window. You want your staple line in your stomach to heal completely. Don't do anything to risk this. (which includes smoking as that can delay the healing process)

3. You have youth on your side. Younger skin is more elastic and stands a better chance at bouncing back. As far as worrying about it ... what options do you have? Is this something that would prevent you from having the surgery? Just start exercising once you get the all clear and you'll be fine.

4. I have tried dozens and settle on Premier Protein. You can get them at costco in chocolate and vanilla. Love 'em. Just know your taste buds will likely change from pre- to post-op. I had a Protein powder I loved pre-op that I couldn't stomach post-op. Too sweet and gross texture. So, don't go out and buy 6 months of your favorite Protein Drink because you like it pre-op.

5. Everyone is different here. One person's experience is not going to be yours. I had a relatively easy time with recovery. I attribute this to beginning a rigorous workout regimen a month prior. I did this to get my endurance up. I was able to go on the elliptical machine for 45 minutes at a pretty good pace when my surgery came around.

What doctor are you going to? I went to Mexico too. I'll try to answer some of your questions below:

1. I'm not a smoker, so someone else has to chime in on this one.

2. No, two weeks is WAY too soon for a serious workout. You can do light workout (walking, swimming, stationary bike, etc) for the first several weeks, but nothing like weight lifting until at least 6 weeks out.

3. You seem young enough and with not a huge amount to lose.... it's ultimately genetic, but you may be able to get away with very little to no loose skin.

4. Everyone likes different shakes... it's very much a taste thing. Right now I am drinking this one from GNC called AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 - chocolate. I like the taste of it. At first you will have to mix it with Water... you can't be drinking really thick things. But after a while you can mix it with milk, or whatever, blend some fruit in... whatever you like.

5. The first day when you wake up from surgery you probably won't be feeling much b/c you are still under the morphine or whatever they give you... at least I was. I found it hard to stay awake that first day... kept dozing off, waking up, dozing off.... there is some pain the next few days, but they should give you something for that. Overall, mine was a very easy recovery. The pain was nothing excruciating or unbearable. More like just being really sore.

If you happen to have my same doctor, I can give you more specific info of what to expect. Otherwise, good luck!! :-)

Thank you so much for your response! My doctor is Garcia! Yours?

1. I am a smoker, and as much as I would like to not be, it is hard to quit. My surgery is coming up soon and I am quitting cold turkey. Any ideas to keep away from that post-op?

I'm not a smoker so I have no first hand advice to offer. I have friends who have had good results with chantix and e-cigs.

How soon after surgery can I start working out?

The dr.'s orders that I have seen most frequently are to walk, and only walk, for the first four weeks. After that, gradually add in more intense exercise but stop immediately if you feel like you are hurting your abdomen. Go back to walking for a few weeks and try again.

Loose skin: should this be a worry of mine? 200-205 lbs currently, 23 years old. How can I really minimize that?

There are no guarantees but common wisdom is that the younger you are, and the less you have to lose, the less you'll have to worry about loose skin. Based on your stats I would say you probably have less to worry about than most people. Some people try to minimize it with various moisturizers, toning, etc. but the standard medical advice is that if you get it, the only way to minimize it is with surgery. At least after waiting a year or so to see if it springs back on its own. Honestly, though, odds are you won't have much. Personally if I were in your shoes I would not worry about it.

Best Protein shake suppliments? What to mix with to lessen the nasty taste?

Completely a matter of opinion! I like powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chocolate Splendor mixed with Hood Calorie Countdown nonfat milk and some additions such as PB2, a few drops of peppermint, or a small handful of frozen raspberries. I also like a lot of the Syntrax nectar flavors just mixed with Water. Be sure you get Protein powders that are low in calories, low in carbs, and high in protein. It's hard to find ready-to-drink Protein shakes that have good numbers, but Premier Protein is good. Isopure ready to drink has good numbers but a lot of people hate the taste, or need to mix it with something else to make it drinkable.

what can I expect post-op the day of my surgery, and day after. Pain scales, nausea?

Again, everyone is different. For most people the gas pain is worse than incisional/abdominal pain. The gas pain was not great and made me very uncomfortable, but I wouldn't have rated it more than 4 or 5 out of 10. Once you get up and get walking it gets better. I didn't need any pain killers during the day -- not even over the counter ones -- starting the day after surgery. I did take some lortab to help me sleep at night. I had some tenderness around my drain site for a couple of weeks when turning or standing up but nothing major. Frankly I've had worse menstrual cramps than what I experienced a day after surgery. Even the day of surgery really wasn't that bad. I spent most of that day post-surgery either sitting up or walking. I was having normal conversations and doing normal things, not lying around crying with pain or anything.

Good luck to you!

Thank you so much for your response! My doctor is Garcia! Yours?

My doctor was Aceves. But there are plenty of Garcia patients on here, so you should get a response from somebody. You might want to re-post this in the Mexico forum. :-)

My doctor was Aceves. But there are plenty of Garcia patients on here, so you should get a response from somebody. You might want to re-post this in the Mexico forum. :-)

Hahaha thanks, I am such a newb! ;)

I'll just hit on a couple of these. After about 30 years of smoking, I quit back in March for this surgery. I was required to quit 90 days prior to my June surgery date. I used Chantix & a good e-cig...it's refillable & rechargeable & the flavors available are good. I took it to my surgeon & he OK'd my continued use of it. Honestly, after awhile I find that I don't use it very often anymore, maybe a couple of times a week now.

Regarding shakes, I never found a premade one that I really liked. They were all way too sweet for me. My regular morning shake is made with Syntrax nectar powders in either vanilla Torte or chocolate Truffle, some instant espresso powder dissolved in a little warm Water, some nonfat plain Greek yogurt & a cup of skim milk. It mixes up in a Blender Bottle. It's a little bit sweet, but the coffee & the plain yogurt keep it from getting too sweet. Good luck to you!

I'll just hit on a couple of these. After about 30 years of smoking, I quit back in March for this surgery. I was required to quit 90 days prior to my June surgery date. I used Chantix & a good e-cig...it's refillable & rechargeable & the flavors available are good. I took it to my surgeon & he OK'd my continued use of it. Honestly, after awhile I find that I don't use it very often anymore, maybe a couple of times a week now.

Regarding shakes, I never found a premade one that I really liked. They were all way too sweet for me. My regular morning shake is made with Syntrax nectar powders in either Vanilla Torte or chocolate Truffle, some instant espresso powder dissolved in a little warm Water, some nonfat plain Greek yogurt & a cup of skim milk. It mixes up in a Blender Bottle. It's a little bit sweet, but the coffee & the plain yogurt keep it from getting too sweet. Good luck to you!

Thank you so much for your repsonse!

Smoking: I am struggling with it. I know this is serious and it needs to stop. Is it better to order the ecig online? I tried a couple different things, Blu or whatever, it was HORRIBLE. I don't believe that is the same as what you're talking about though. Could you link me to something with safe ecigs? Did you feel differnt post surgery about smoking?

Thank you so much for your repsonse!

Smoking: I am struggling with it. I know this is serious and it needs to stop. Is it better to order the ecig online? I tried a couple different things, Blu or whatever, it was HORRIBLE. I don't believe that is the same as what you're talking about though. Could you link me to something with safe ecigs? Did you feel differnt post surgery about smoking?

I never tried the ones from the convenience store, like Blu. Mu husband quit right before I did & I just used what he got. We order from www.vaperite.com. I use the Clearomizer tanks. You can email them & they'll help you figure out what to order. My fave flavor is Chaibacco, but I also like to mix the Kona Creme, Hazelnut, and a regular tobacco flavor. We use the 12mg level of vape juice. The batteries hold a charge for awhile & can even be plugged into a USB port.

By the time my surgery rolled around, I had been off cigarettes for 3+ months & my usage of the e-cig had gone down. I guess by the time I was postop it felt good to not be smoking anymore. I wanted this surgery to be a success & even though I enjoyed smoking, I knew the time had come to leave it behind me. I guess it just boiled down to me wanting surgery more than I wanted to smoke.