Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melbourne Chat Thread!!!!

:help: :help: :help:

As you all know i was banded last friday.... Im on fluids and when i have runny custard soon after i feel like ive got it stuck in my throat. It disappears after sipping Water for a while... ? the custard isnt runny enough??!!

Now.... when i was banded , no fill would have been put in would it?? My surgeon is unavailable and although im not having a real problem... it doesnt feel right but then again i have no idea what all this is suppose to feel like.

Im up and about as normal during the day now. Night is a problem as i still need to lie on my back and woke up last night with an ache in the middle of my chest and it felt like there was an alien in there.... i assume this is where the band is and could the feeling be the tubing moving around. Most of my swelling is subsiding and im finding this all weird..

Hope i dont sound too dumb but i thought id ask....

I had a lot of times in the week or two after surgery where I felt like something was stuck in the back of my throat. A very disconcerting feeling as I just couldnt dislodge it but its not something you can just ignore either. It just felt like a little piece of something was sitting in my throat.

All these odd feelings are quite normal and will subside, it doesnt mean the custard wasnt runny enough, its just weird stuff that happens. If you eat something too thick, too solid, you'll have no doubt about it, dont worry, lol!

:help: :help: :help:

As you all know i was banded last friday.... Im on fluids and when i have runny custard soon after i feel like ive got it stuck in my throat. It disappears after sipping Water for a while... ? the custard isnt runny enough??!!

Now.... when i was banded , no fill would have been put in would it?? My surgeon is unavailable and although im not having a real problem... it doesnt feel right but then again i have no idea what all this is suppose to feel like.

Im up and about as normal during the day now. Night is a problem as i still need to lie on my back and woke up last night with an ache in the middle of my chest and it felt like there was an alien in there.... i assume this is where the band is and could the feeling be the tubing moving around. Most of my swelling is subsiding and im finding this all weird..

Hope i dont sound too dumb but i thought id ask....

Bronnie, it all sounds totally normal to me too. For example, this afternoon I had a massive tummy ache, it was super painful. It had been hours since I ate. I just got up and walked around, went to the bathroom, passed some gas did a few burps and felt MUCH better (too much information? haha). I have no idea what was going on. The thing is, our bodies react very differently after being banded, and while its hard not to think that something is wrong, usually it will pass and might be something minor, like a bit of swelling from somethig we ate a day ago, or well who knows what! Of course, if it is ongoing, get a professional's advice. But you will experience new and weird and sometimes painful sensations because of the band, and while we will probably never get used to them, they are all part and parcel for having a foreign object strangling our tummies! Also, no question about our bands is a dumb one, we are all learning about this together!!

What would i do without all of you experienced ones...

I let out an uncontrollable burp everytime i have fluids.. keeps my daughter amuzed :) . Lucky its not coming from both direction!!!!

Hi All, Meredith, freaky you should mention having a stomach ache. Remember a few days ago I was saying how I was getting some painful stomache aches after hardly eating a thing. You could be right about it just going with the territory with the band. Pleased to report I have had no further tummy aches yesterday or today. Will probably get one tomorrow.:) :biggrin1:

Susannah

Hi All,

A couple of days ago I to had really bad pain lasted 2 days, but as someone said to me on this site I probably ate too much, but I'll be buggered if I know when. I think it was because I has 2 bits of popcorn (that I chewed really well- at least I thought I did), but it's gone now, It all really does take some getting used too.

Bronnie I remember 5 days after my band I had the same thing but I also felt really bloated and sick, nurse said the thing I ate may have been to rich for me (it was ice-cream), so I didn't eat that again and was ok. Same when I drank milk, major stomach pain within 20mins ( so no more milk for me).

How's everyone else doing????

Yep Susannah and thats exactly why I tend to think theres nothing to worry about if its gone with in a few hours (which mine way thankfully!).

I'm heading down your end of the world first thing in the morning ladies. I can't wait to hit the shops! I'm on a wedding shoe finding mission haha

Hey all, how's everyone doing?

Susannah - Just wondering what's happening with your port? Have u found out anything further about it? Hopefully all will be well and u won't have any further probs with it

Hi All, Angel I have to go back to see the surgeon on the 28th. I guess he will advise me what the go is then, regarding my port.:( Hopefully I don't have to have revision surgery, maybe they will just have to put all my fills in under fluro. If Port stiches are that easy to come away, how easy would it be for the stiches around the band to pop?

I am feeling a little down today. I guess we all have our blue days.

Angel why do you think your band slipped? Do you think you will get another one in due course?

Susannah

Hello Everyone...

not a great day for me today. Ive had this dull ache in the middle of my chest and at the port site all day..... Although this ache is bearable, i want it to go away.

Also... everytime i have fluids i burp, will it always be like this??

Im seeing the surgeon next friday for my initial post-op visit and query my first fill. Im interested to see how he finds exactly where the port is.... my abdo is still swollen and i can feel much. Does a fill hurt?

:help: mmmmmmmm... constipation.... well i dont feel uncomfortable as i havernt eaten for over a week but i also havernt done number 2 for that long.... what do you all recommend?

You may jsut have a bit of restrcton from swelling post surgery. a lot of what you describe is a bit like what you can feel if you have eaten a bit to much etc. at the moment it is possible you are getting this feeling jsut because it is early days and you have swelling- Others get what is sometimes called a soft stop, the hard stop is when you know you have overdone things as you pb, slime, have golf ball sensation in gullet. the soft stop is where you are close to your limit and the next bte ors so would be too much. I get a strange sensation at the base of my breast bone, sometimes I have a few soft burps- for me these are a sign I have either had too much last meal or I may be a bit swollen from a previous meal gone a bit too far. For me, if I have a problem Breakfast time, I will have problems for the next 1 to 2 meals- I go back one stage eg from normal to mushy for the next 1 to 2 meals or until no more funny sensations.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, just learnng how things work and feel. when something feels a bit odd, slow down for the next meal or 2 then try again- see if things impove- if they do its likely you have discovered a soft stop for you- they are actually very handing- much better than getting stuck!!

mY problems last sunday coincided with an ms flare- I was eventually unfilled. surgeon apologized for the delay in treatment- he did not get the message I was in ed but he said his registrar did and he could not understand why she did not do the unfill that night instead of wasting the hsoptal bed etc!!

I have had 4 mls put back now and I am struggling a little but it is more ms related stuff than directly band. the Ms has affected swallow and has made me very dizzy and nauseated bu fnally after one week, it has eased- thats why he ok'd the refill friday arvo. I am on fluids only all weekend, high dose steroids for the ms - not fantastic but much better than this time last weekend!!

Kebsa... hope your feeling better soon and the symptoms subside.

I also have had episodes of difficulty swollowing in the past due to the MS. Thats why im not sure if this weird feeling in my throat is due to the band or the MS. Frustrating sometimes!!!

Thanks for the feedback Karenb.

Susannah - According to this new Dr, he's guessing that is was not placed correctly to begin with and the constant vomiting only made the situation worse.

I've spoken to all the Dr's involved now regarding my surgery and i think we've decided to wait until i'm past the 28 wks stage. So if i do go into early labour it's safer for the baby. I figure i've already lasted this long without getting much down, i can go 2 more weeks. I've got an ultrasound booked for next week and if everythings ok from their, then i'll go into surgery 2 April.

The band Doc said that he'll try to replace the band during the operation, but if he's not 100% sure that it can be placed correctly then he's not going to put it in. Honestly, if i wake up without the band i don't know what i'll do after that. I do know that i would not have lost this weight without it, but it's been a really really hard road with all the complications. I don't even know if they'll place one down the road considering that my weight is so low now. I suppose i'll cross that bridge when i come to it.