Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melbourne Chat Thread!!!!

So true, but then again, if you're walking around and its not the least bit challening, then its not really doing you much good.

What I found really skyrocketed my fitness and got me to the point of being able to run was interval training. I just did 1 to 3 minute intervals of the hard stuff and before long, I could jog lightly for 3kms or so without my heart thumping out of my chest.

Now an 8km per hour pace on the treadmill is easy jogging to me and my heart rate wouldnt move out of the 130's. When I started I was doing 6.4kms - so slow I could barely jog it.

:help: i was doing so well on Optifast and then.... about 1/2 an hour ago i binged on everything and anything not tied down. I now feel crap!!!!

Im so disappointed with myself. I made it to day 5..... well i know what i have to do...... SCREAM.

Seriously ive slipped up but tomorrow i'll be back on track... and i am 3kg down, hopefully i didnt wreck that.

Bronnie, don't beat yourself up over this. You are battling a life time of habit and no one will deny that its HARD! I myself slipped up during my Optifast but still managed to lose 7 kilos, so don't worry about messing up the 3 kilo loss you have. Tomorrow is a new day, and you can just start over. From here on in, when ever you feel like binging, just think about how crappy you felt afterwards as you were writing this post. You can do this - you're doing incredibly well!! *hugs*

I actually feel physicially ill. I guess 5 days on Optifast and then a massive 'pig out' wasnt very smart. I dont want to even think about food. Well ive learnt a valuable lesson..... stuffing myself has no rewards in the long run. Im going to stick to the pre-op 100%... ive only got 18 days left

Bronnie

Don't feel bad. U r doing fantastically. Focus on the good part of what you have done.. you started Optifast without HAVING to and you have lost 3 kgs! :clap2: great effort. We all have our little slip ups and you will only benefit from it. don't go beating yourself up.. tomoro is another day. U go girl..u will do it :)

hi to everyone

well i think i still have the guilts about yesterday.... I couldnt sleep last night and for the first time i was having second thought about the op. I guess i just need to take some deep breaths and remind myself that this is the change i not only want but i really need.

Hi Bron - how are you going today? Back on your game again I hope. We all slip up, don't be hard on yourself, just get up and get going again as soon as you can. We're all thinking of you. You are doing great starting the Optifast before you had too, just hang in there, March 9th is not far away!

I've just joined this chat - i had surgrey on the 31st and have been really lucky to have two buddies going through their surgries at the same time - having friends to talk things through has been so so good - i feel like i am a help to them as much as they are to me - i think i am doing fine although i feel like i might have pushed the envelop a bit as i ate a piece of bread yesterday - nothing in particular happened it felt ok, but maybe i shouldnt have done it - i am staying on thick liquids for the next week - any tips for good Soups?

i cant seem to drink fruit juices, i have a severe reaction to prune juice - gives me the 'total' runs - so its good to be learning about what i can and cant tolerate

Hi All, Hi Terri, welcome.

Cam you are a star. So if I get two bottles of Water, should I do sets of arm raises, bicep curls, and what else? How many sets? I wish I could afford to join a gym, but I am broke at the moment. I am trying to do outdoor exercise while the weather is still good, and delay the gym thing until winter forces me indoors.

I can't seem to find any good exercising at home sites on the internet.

I am thinking of doing workout dvds. I already have one that my sister gave me.

I went back to work today. I just worked from 8.30am to 1pm, which is a good way to ease back into work. Kids are gorgeous. They always ask me if I have a baby in my tummy! LOL!:biggrin1: Hopefully my weight loss with the band should silence that question.

Meredith how are you? I am so jealous of your job!:mad:

Hey Fee, you work in childcare too so you know how hilarious kids can be.

Bronnie, The days are flying by mate.

I wonder how Dionne is.Hope all is well.

Loretta, How are you? Any news from Dr Nottle?

Susannah

Hey Girls and Mark, I have to take tomorrow off as I have to see the band dietician.:mad: :biggrin1: Bloody bludger having a day off already.:)

I am a bit annoyed that I have to pay 60 bucks out of pocket, and I can't claim any of it. I have to see my surgeon the following week for my post op review. I can claim some of that, but not all. My wallet is getting to be a bottomless pit where the band is concerned.:woot:

Susannah

Hi everyone.... all is well. ive been good today.

$60- Susannah is cheaper than what i had to pay... i paid $80- for about 15 minutes getting told things that i knew. I was disappointed!!

So true, but then again, if you're walking around and its not the least bit challening, then its not really doing you much good.

What I found really skyrocketed my fitness and got me to the point of being able to run was interval training. I just did 1 to 3 minute intervals of the hard stuff and before long, I could jog lightly for 3kms or so without my heart thumping out of my chest.

Now an 8km per hour pace on the treadmill is easy jogging to me and my heart rate wouldnt move out of the 130's. When I started I was doing 6.4kms - so slow I could barely jog it.

This is really a question of is it immediate fitness you want to acchieve or weight loss or do you want those 2 to meet down the line?

I was responding thinking about weight loss (not quick road to fitness) with the work smarter not harder philosophy.

Jacqui when your morbidly obese for many people just walking around is challenging - if your heart rate is up your being challanged... what you have to do to get your heart rate up (and burn fat) is different dependant on your fitness level.

Your method you've followed is to get fit as quick as possible (usually good and recommended for normal size or a little bit overweight unfit people); the method I describe is to actually lose fat (not muscle, the fat calories are the ones we want to burn) via the work smarter not harder philosophy without becoming a fitness superstar overnight.

For you to lose weight now is a lot harder as you have to work a lot harder to burn the same level of calories because you are incredibly fit - just going for a walk isn't getting your heart rate up.... see what I mean?

If you apply the work smarter not harder philosophy to weight loss with the band and you don't need to get fit super quickly for a specific reason (eg. some people are required to get much fitter for a surgery or disease) just keeping your heart rate in the target fat burning zone (and never going above it) will give you the best resulsts for fat loss and by the time you are at your goal weight and health you will be fit; the two will co-inside rather than having to battle - you can lose muscle by going hard as possible above your target heart rate but need to be monitored by a doctor as muscle loss is dangerous as you get smaller espeically if you lose muscle around the heart and also leaves you flabby (so do the weight training ladies!!)... most (unless they have a medical reason not to) want to preserve the muscle for increased metabolism and only burn the fat as much as possible.

Also - Jaqcui is super tall so her stride is longer; I wouldn't be expecting average height people to run at that pace until their BMI is around 22 or else they will have to work uber hard to try and get those last few kilos off if they are still overweight when they reach that level of fitness.

Hey Girls and Mark, I have to take tomorrow off as I have to see the band dietician.:mad: :biggrin1: Bloody bludger having a day off already.:)

I am a bit annoyed that I have to pay 60 bucks out of pocket, and I can't claim any of it. I have to see my surgeon the following week for my post op review. I can claim some of that, but not all. My wallet is getting to be a bottomless pit where the band is concerned.:woot:

Susannah

You can't calim from Medibank or private health?? I could claim my dietican but only got back $17 each time (4 compulsory visits worked out at $300, so I was out $232... you had to pay the $300 up front and could only claim the $17 each time you saw her when she gave you a reciept). My appointments were suposed to be 1hr each from the paperwork i was given up front but never went more than 25mins before she was telling me we were done (next patient was ready to come in) and to call her if i had any questions. She weighed me at all my appointments but these days they dont do that at the practice I go to... not sure why. My appointments were all inside the hospital at Valley Private.