Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Severe Pain

Hi there. So I was banded almost two weeks ago and I have to say that I am pretty happy with my weight loss. The last time I checked I was down 21 lbs. Which is great! However, ever since the surgery I have been gettin severe stabbing pain at the port area and no matter what it wont stop. At first it was a stabbing pain, but now it alternates between that and well to describe it being elbowed in the boob times 10 but at the port site. I called my surgeon and went to the ER as instructed. They did a CT scan and blood work and didnt find anything. After I got to deal with the jerk doctor there who told me none of the surgeons would want to touch me and lectured me on the band and its "horror stories" he sent me home with vicoden. That doesnt help. I am a student and I drive to school so I can't be on them when I do. Thats 8 hours of pain. Has anyone else gone through this? The band feels fine. I dont even notice it. Its the PORT that I want to cry over. Any suggestions? Thanks :confused:

I have had some discomfort with the port. I think it pinches the tissue. I move around and try to get more at ease. It is a small price to pay.

When I had my Tummy Tuck I had those twinges and when my husband has a vasectomy, he had those twinges. We were told that they were nerve pain, due to a nerve being cut. There is no way to keep from doing it, since we have so many. It goes away with time.

I think it is the same thing, at least in our experiences.

Audree

It sounds like you're really in pain. More than just being uncomfortable. I too get discomfort sometimes around the port but not pain like you describe. I don't know what it could be but if it keeps up go back to the hospital and don't let those stupid doctors send you home with vicodin without doing more tests. Good luck.

kdaly: I've not experienced anything like your talking about sorry.

I do get some port pain, but alot of that is because my port is right int he front, just above my belly button. As I still have a very large tummy, I lean forward and press it against the desk as I sit at work and at my computer and trust me it hurts. I get other twinges also, that are either nerve twinges or scar tissue. I sincerely hope you manage to get a decent dr that can get to the bottom of your pain and you get some well deserved releif.

CHEERS and Good Luck :confused:

I called my surgeon and went to the ER as instructed. They did a CT scan and blood work and didnt find anything. After I got to deal with the jerk doctor there who told me none of the surgeons would want to touch me and lectured me on the band and its "horror stories" he sent me home with vicoden.

So you called your surgeon who put the band in and he told you to go to the ER. There, the ER doctor ordered the tests, etc and sent you home with Vicoden? You were not seen by your or a lap band surgeon, but a regular ER Dr.?

Have you talked to your Lap Band Surgeon again? Has he examined your port?

I go in tomorrow to get my 2 week check up with my Surgeon. I am just hoping he can tell me what is going on. I really hope I dont get the "this is normal" speech. My surgeon is the one who ordered all the tests and the ER doctor was like why? But they came back normal...figures...has any one else delt with this much severe pain? I am a pretty active student and I guess I didn't realize it until now. Does anyone know what it could be?

kdaly32: You mentioned you are a very active student. Could it be that you are a little too active too soon? Just a thought?

A week or so ago, I started some tummy excercises I soon learnt it was way tooooooo soon for that. Dr's receptionist said 6 weeks. I did however experience quite an amount of pain and nausea for 2 days after. No more knees up for me for a couple of weeks. GOOD LUCK getting some releif and some answers :confused:

:o I feel bad for you, its one thing to be in pain, its even worse when you have to sit through it in school! How did your follow up appt go? I am planning of getting a lapband sometime this year with Dr. Srikanth, any suggestions?

You said that you just barely had the surgery (two weeks?). So here's the deal..when they place the port, they either cut the muscle or they use a muscle Fiber separator. Either way, your muscle wall has been compromised.

For me, I had AGONY around my port for about two months. It decreased over time. Does it help to put your hand on it and push in? I looked like an old man with a hernia walking around holding my hand to my stomach to hold it in. I finally got one of those tube girdle dealies that goes around your middle. I only wore it at night to give me support, but after I got that, things started healing up fast.

I suspect that is what is going on, but suggest you see your band dr anyway just to be sure. In the early days after getting a band you have to be on TOTAL high alert for infection at the port.

Luck!

After my surgery I was in severe pain at my port site for three solid weeks. I could not sleep in my bed or even touch my stomach. The dr said he may have stitched through a nerve. He prescribed some lidoderm Patches that I wore at night which seemed to help and eventually the pain went away. Hope yours does too........

Hi there- about 3 months post op (in 2003) I started experiencing severe pain and discomfort around my port area and then all around below it. (mine is to the left of my belly button). Anyway, turns out the plastic tubing that leads to the band had broken away from the port and the sharp metal end was scratching me inside. I had to have an outpatient surgery to repair it. It only happens to 4% of people with the band, and of course, my motto is... if it can happen, it will happen to me!!!. So definitely get your band surgeon to check you out. It's so worth it.

My port hurt bad for about three months, and recently, I've been having problems with it again. Two weeks out of surgery is very early on.

At two weeks I couldn't even go back to work yet. I'm sure it will get better as time goes on.

I was banded in June 2006. I had pretty bad port site pain for about 2 weeks and then a sharp stabbing/catching type pain off and on for another 7 weeks. My doctor explained that this is common and part of the healing process. Also, scar tissue builds up around the port site and that has to get settled. I found the heating pad helped to ease the pain. Time seems to take care of it.

I had sharp port pain for about 3 months post-op. Surgeon said that pain can and will happen for up to 5 months. Since they stitch right into the muscle if you injury that site you will feel pain until muscle site totally heals. Good luck just wait it out.