Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If I replace 1 meal with a protein shake pre op

So if I do this and lose weight would it stop me from losing more weight post op? Im curious because now I think i can do2 shakes and 2 small meals. Had anyone had significant weight loss pre op without the 2 week liquid diet? My surgery isn't till December. My thought, I guess, is maybe I can do it on my own. Idk.

Many people lose weight on their own. I've dropped 70-80 lbs at least 3 or 4 times over the past 20 years. It never stayed off though as I resumed bad eating habits.

I had a former neighbor who lost 100 lbs by cutting out everything except lean Protein, fish, veggies and some fruits. She was on Oprah's 100 people who lost 100 lbs show.

Have you attempted losing weight on your own in the past? What were the results?

It won't hurt to lose weight prior to surgery. It would put you in a better place for surgery and recovery.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Many people lose weight on their own. I've dropped 70-80 lbs at least 3 or 4 times over the past 20 years. It never stayed off though as I resumed bad eating habits.

I had a former neighbor who lost 100 lbs by cutting out everything except lean Protein, fish, veggies and some fruits. She was on Oprah's 100 people who lost 100 lbs show.

Have you attempted losing weight on your own in the past? What were the results?

It won't hurt to lose weight prior to surgery. It would put you in a better place for surgery and recovery. Congratulations on your success and keep up the good work.Thank you for your input.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I've tried going on the weight watchers diet and I followed the meal plans, I managed to gain 6 pounds lol. But, I also have hypo thyroidism so I think thats why I gained weight. The whole cutting of the stomach scares me to pieces, lap band is no longer an option, too many side effects. Its a good thing I have 4 more months. But, I do feel that I'm on yo yo dieting so the sleeve will probably be my only option. Thank you so much.

I've tried going on the weight watchers diet and I followed the meal plans, I managed to gain 6 pounds lol. But, I also have hypo thyroidism so I think thats why I gained weight. The whole cutting of the stomach scares me to pieces, lap band is no longer an option, too many side effects. Its a good thing I have 4 more months. But, I do feel that I'm on yo yo dieting so the sleeve will probably be my only option. Thank you so much.

It is such a personal decision to move forward with surgery. One that only you can truly answer. It is scary, and it has its risks. If you believe you should give it another try on your own to lose weight, you should. Surgery is not for everyone and though it was not the case for me, I have known people who lost weight and kept it off on their own.

You have some time, it absolutely won't hurt to start on a diet plan now. I took that route and lost almost 60lbs. on weight watchers prior to surgery. I believe transitioning from WW to the sleeve helped prepare me for what was to come.

Best of luck in whatever you decide!

We've all tried to lose it on our own... right? I for one have lost 60lbs on my own in the past and kept it off, BUT have been down and up another 20lbs for the last several years - major plateau! The reason the surgeon wants you to lose weight before surgery is to mostly shrink your liver so that it's not too much of an issue during surgery. You have quite a bit of weight to lose, so I wouldn't worry about not being able to lose after surgery; the more you have to lose, the faster it comes off for some reason. I understand your concerns about losing your stomach, it IS a valid concern. I can honestly say that although I had the same concerns, I am SO happy that I did it!!! I believe you will be too! You have to ask yourself what you are truly afraid of... losing your stomach or having to radically change your lifestyle for the greater good...? How badly do you want to keep the next 121lbs off?

Look at your weight-loss history. Were you able to keep it all off? How many years have you tried? I have hypothyroidism too, but it isn't my reason for such an insurmountable weight gain in my life, it was a small part of it. I'm thinner now than I was in 1989, and I STILL have hypothyroidism. Oh, and my diabetic symptoms - gone!

My doc required me to lose 10lbs before surgery, I lost 20 as of the morning of surgery. I could have kept going, and I know I would have lost a bit more, but I know me, it would have crept back on in my moments of weakness!

If you continue to replace meals with shakes, you may lose quite a bit by December. This may result in you losing it slower after surgery, but why does it matter? I know that for me, I am a slow loser anyway, but I prefer it that way, less probs with skin hanging and will be more apt to keep it off for good.

Much luck to you in your journey!

:)

I lost 60 pounds before surgery from the 1500 calorie meal plan (low fat, low carb, high protein), the Water, and the exercise plan that were part of the 6 month diet/exercise pre-op. I was only required to lose 10.

I was doing 3 meals and 2 Snacks (sometimes), but max 1500 calories. Sometimes I only did about 1200 calories, as I lost and just wasn't hungry. The second 3 months I was doing a Protein shake for Breakfast / as one meal. I've never done it for two meals. But my shakes were mostly made from the Protein powder / soy milk (or almond milk) and very little fruit. Or powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup with Water. Not the ready-to-drink stuff unless I was in a hurry. (not sure the carb difference, or it if mattered)

Lots of people questioned why I went ahead with surgery. My issue was the regain. I had lost 75 with WW once before (and that was about 45 before my HW) and found it again.

Surgery truly is a personal decision, and I'm glad I made it for me. But losing weight will definitely make you feel better mentally and physically. Good luck!

I had a former neighbor who lost 100 lbs by cutting out everything except lean protein' date=' fish, veggies and some fruits. She was on Oprah's 100 people who lost 100 lbs show.

It won't hurt to lose weight prior to surgery. It would put you in a better place for surgery and recovery.

Good luck with whatever you choose.[/quote']

Thank you. Good luck to you to.

It is such a personal decision to move forward with surgery. One that only you can truly answer. It is scary, and it has its risks. If you believe you should give it another try on your own to lose weight, you should. Surgery is not for everyone and though it was not the case for me, I have known people who lost weight and kept it off on their own.

You have some time, it absolutely won't hurt to start on a diet plan now. I took that route and lost almost 60lbs. on weight watchers prior to surgery. I believe transitioning from WW to the sleeve helped prepare me for what was to come.

Best of luck in whatever you decide!

Thank you JerseyGirl. When I first started this journey in June, I was so excited that I wanted the surgery right there and then. To think, actually yes, to think, I would have not done the research like I did now. But I have another 4 months on my side. So I have time to think. Thank you.

We've all tried to lose it on our own... right? I for one have lost 60lbs on my own in the past and kept it off, BUT have been down and up another 20lbs for the last several years - major plateau! The reason the surgeon wants you to lose weight before surgery is to mostly shrink your liver so that it's not too much of an issue during surgery. You have quite a bit of weight to lose, so I wouldn't worry about not being able to lose after surgery; the more you have to lose, the faster it comes off for some reason. I understand your concerns about losing your stomach, it IS a valid concern. I can honestly say that although I had the same concerns, I am SO happy that I did it!!! I believe you will be too! You have to ask yourself what you are truly afraid of... losing your stomach or having to radically change your lifestyle for the greater good...? How badly do you want to keep the next 121lbs off?

Look at your weight-loss history. Were you able to keep it all off? How many years have you tried? I have hypothyroidism too, but it isn't my reason for such an insurmountable weight gain in my life, it was a small part of it. I'm thinner now than I was in 1989, and I STILL have hypothyroidism. Oh, and my diabetic symptoms - gone!

My doc required me to lose 10lbs before surgery, I lost 20 as of the morning of surgery. I could have kept going, and I know I would have lost a bit more, but I know me, it would have crept back on in my moments of weakness!

If you continue to replace meals with shakes, you may lose quite a bit by December. This may result in you losing it slower after surgery, but why does it matter? I know that for me, I am a slow loser anyway, but I prefer it that way, less probs with skin hanging and will be more apt to keep it off for good.

Much luck to you in your journey!

:)

Well I'm glad you responded. Haven't met anyone here with hypothyroidism so its good to know you're losing and have lost weight. That was one of my concerns with this surgery. Change of diet is not what truly scares, although, I don't know how I can live without my ice creams and sugars. I don't binge eat. I eat because I just love the way food or junk food tastes. That's why I decided to look into the sleeve. What truly scares me is that I am in remission (colon cancer) and I came across a topic on the boards about stomach/pancreatic cancer. I don't want to scare anyone here so I won't elaborate. But this is definitely something I have to talk to my oncologist about. Oh and death, yeah, that's another one lol. But that goes with any surgery. All of the concerns every other sleever has worried about or any pre sleevers. I'm so happy you responded. Good to know that the surgery can work for hypothyroidism. Well wishes and good luck on this journey. Hopefully I'll have great news 6 months from now.

Thank you. Good luck to you to.

Thank you.

Oh and I decided to lose some weight on my own. My surgeon only requires a 2 day diet. Why? I don't know yet. But I plan on doing a 2 week diet because I keep reading about the liver shrinking. So, if I can avoid any necessary complications, then that will be one. Thank you ladies. I'm so grateful for these boards. :D

Well I'm glad you responded. Haven't met anyone here with hypothyroidism so its good to know you're losing and have lost weight. That was one of my concerns with this surgery. Change of diet is not what truly scares' date=' although, I don't know how I can live without my ice creams and sugars. I don't binge eat. I eat because I just love the way food or junk food tastes. That's why I decided to look into the sleeve. What truly scares me is that I am in remission (colon cancer) and I came across a topic on the boards about stomach/pancreatic cancer. I don't want to scare anyone here so I won't elaborate. But this is definitely something I have to talk to my oncologist about. Oh and death, yeah, that's another one lol. But that goes with any surgery. All of the concerns every other sleever has worried about or any pre sleevers. I'm so happy you responded. Good to know that the surgery can work for hypothyroidism. Well wishes and good luck on this journey. Hopefully I'll have great news 6 months from now.[/quote']

I'm in the same time frame. 5 months before surgery. I am learning everything I can about this. Me newly (April 2013) diagnosed with diabetes and insulin I'm hoping that goes away. Good luck to you

I'm in the same time frame. 5 months before surgery. I am learning everything I can about this. Me newly (April 2013) diagnosed with diabetes and insulin I'm hoping that goes away. Good luck to you

Oh Scotts Girl above responded that her diabetes is gone. I also heard a story last week at one of the support meetings, 2 post op sleevers diabetes is gone. It seems this works for that. I'll keep you in my prayers and will follow your journey with mine. Good luck. Have you started trying out the shakes? That's what I've been doing.

Oh Scotts Girl above responded that her diabetes is gone. I also heard a story last week at one of the support meetings' date=' 2 post op sleevers diabetes is gone. It seems this works for that. I'll keep you in my prayers and will follow your journey with mine. Good luck. Have you started trying out the shakes? That's what I've been doing.[/quote']

Ya I am doing the shakes. Gotta work on sipping and not guzzling. Lol. Congrats on your success.

I was watching a youtube video yesterday of a girl and her experience with the sleeve. I think she's 7 months out on this video. She says the only thing she regrets about the sleeve is the fact that she couldn't do it WITHOUT the sleeve on her own. Kind of a different way of looking at it.

If you think you CAN do it without the sleeve, that is the way to go. I have been dieting since I was 6 years old (I'm 51 now) , including having lap band 9 years ago, and I weigh more now that I have in my entire life. So it's time for me to realize that I need help. I'm scheduled for sleeve Oct 1.

Only you can decide.