Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Obama...first african american...would you vote for him?????

rtgirl77: Just curious. What do you think that Obama would do to cause disaster if he were president?

I think that the US is in a very delicate situation with regard to international policy. We need someone who is very well versed in both politics at the international level and the current administration's plan. I don't agree with what is going on but I also have enough sense to see that pulling our troops from Iraq right this second, is begging for a series of big-time problems. It sickens me to hear of another soldier killed in Iraq, another family who will not see their loved one again. I wasn't really for or against the war but as time has gone on, I see that Bush has bitten off more than he can chew but he's too arrogant to admit it to the people. He has perfected his best evasive answers under the guise of national security and he seems to have forgotten that this is a "government of the people and by the people" and that WE are the people who employ him. Our entire government failed us on 9/11 and blame is to be placed in many spots. But, I digress. If we pull our troops out right now, we run the risk that Iran, who by most accounts has nuclear weapons (or at least capabilities) will walk right in and take the goverment over. People underestimate how much we are hated by so many nations and the lengths to which they would go to harm us. What would are life be like if Iran were in control of a huge portion of our oil? I don't think any of us like sitting at home but that is what life would be like for the US because we are dependent on foreign sources for oil. So, for all the liberals who like to shout "war for oil", try living a month without it and see how that works out for you.

To answer your question and get off my long, ranting diatribe: I don't trust Obama. I question his honesty, his history and at the very least his ability to lead our country in what is certain to be several more years of hell for our military. I want to see our troops out of there ASAP but not at the expense of our freedom or the hard-fought freedom of the Iraqis. Hope that answers your question!

rtgirl77: That was a great job answering the question. Thanks. I agree with much of what you said.

I know that our pull out right now, without securing the right people in the right government there, and without ensuring that it's a government that will allow us access to the oil there and possibly nearby regions, is not in America's best interests. However, other countries are banding together to give us big problems with regard to oil in their countries and that should also enter into the equation when it comes to resolving the problems that we have in the Middle East.

Unfortunately it is a very complex issue. And the approach the U.S. has taken has caused it to be even more complex and seemingly impossible. Bush still has some time left to keep things on this downward spiral of death and destruction, and hate for us and our actions. It is not helping us rid the world of terrorists and they have in fact been invigorated by our misdeeds.

After 9/11 the entire world was behind us and had sympathy for us and were supportive of our going after the group behind the attacks. We've blown it big time and now even our allies are disgusted with us. Our citizens keep dying every day and the tally is higher than anything than transpired on 9/11..

We need a president who understands that America has to regain it's place as a good global neighbor. We have to work at solving problems instead of creating worse problems. We have to find a president that is not willing to lie to Americans. We have to find a president who isn't greedy and who doesn't abuse his (or her) power. We have to find a good heart instead of allowing someone with a black heart run this country into the ground.

It may not be Hillary or Obama, but we better be darned sure this time that we really know what we're getting and that candidate better understand that there will be no more free rides and no more being the "decider" without regard for human life or the well being of all of the citizens of this country.

BJean: I agree totally. I voted for Bush the first time:rolleyes: as well as that goon he calls a brother for FL governor. I can't say that either has done much that I'd be proud of.

I think we have given the terrorists MUCH fuel and we have started wars that we simply can't end. Its sad and I feel duped and while I don't want to make a character judgement on our President (I'd like to believe he didn't intentionally mislead us), the fact is, what we were told was not the truth and it was in extremely poor judgement to start two wars at once. Especially when that second war has other nations chomping at the bits to engage us out of pure hate for our policies. Getting rid of Saddam Hussein was great and a true humanitarian effort BUT it wasn't the most pressing issue at that time since he wasn't an immediate threat. If Iran decided to do us serious harm right now, I'm concerned for our defenses. We are like sitting ducks. But, at the same time, as previously discussed, it would be disastrous to pull out right now. Its just a very complicated situation and one that needs to be handled by someone who can truly appreciate the gravity of the situation. I don't have a clue, out of the lot of hopefuls, who that would be. Is John McCain running? I do like him.

Some of the Republican candidates want to send more troops to Iraq.:help:

Just like in the Veitnam era, they believe everything will work out ok if we just use more force.:frusty:

John McCain is running and has been running since the last election. He has really tempered his retoric and doesn't sound nearly as war-like as he once did.

I'm afraid TOM is right about many of the Republicans thinking that sending more and more troops is a viable answer.

Before a few months ago how many people had ever heard of Barack Obama? A few interviews and some book exposure doesn't necessarily give us the total picture of a candidate. He hasn't accomplished enough on the national level for us to make a judgment call about how he would perform as a president in a tight situation.

I do get the sense that he has a good heart, but it could just be excellent PR at this point.

I don't see how you couldn't trust Obama. Then again, you voted for Bush so I guess that shows what you know about ones character.

I won't vote for him because he doesn't line up with my political views, but I think he is trustworthy. No reason so far not to.

I love Obama and I love Hillary but there a lot of people who don't want to see a woman or a black man in office. Unfortuately I think it will be a Republican win if either one is choosen to run for the Democratic office.

I also believe Obama needs more experience. I think he was kinda pressured into throwing in his hat. Still love them both.

I heard that John McCain announced a couple of night's ago on Letterman.

This is going to be an interesting race.