Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op Soup Question

Hi,

I am day 6 post-op and can start on pureed Soups and strained cream Soups.< /p>

The question I have is under the foods to avoid is all fresh vegetables… and I think that is because there shouldn't be anything “chunky” in the Soup.

I have a high power Vitamix blender that I was going to make the Soup in.. and believe me, after it is done, it is pure liquid !! no chunks lol

One soup I was going to make was Cream of Asparagus Soup

1 1/2 pounds (680 g) asparagus spears, cooked (Steamed)

1 1/2 cups (360 ml) chicken broth

1/2 cup (120 ml) half and half – I might Skip the half and half

Does anyone thing this might be a problem ? ;)

Another one I wanted to make was this…. Butternut Squash Soup in the Vitamix

http://www.food.com/...-vitamix-477635

Any Soup other than cream of chicken was forbidden during my full liquids......but not every NUT/dr specifies that.....

I'm on the pureed stage and can only have the following cooked veggies: beets, carrots, peas, spinach, squash, tomatoes, mashed potatoes, pureed sweet potatoes....even cooked asparagus is out....but you should ask your nutritionist or surgeon's office. That being said, your recipe sounds yummie, and if it's on your approved list, as long as it can go through a strainer, it should be good......

So, my instructions were similar. Cooked vegetables are not the same as fresh vegetables, from the perspective of the stomach being able to digest them. Don't go near a raw carrot for a couple months, for sure. But a cooked, squishy one? Fabulous. Go for it.

I lived on Soups the first 6 weeks. French onion was the first. Ham/veggie lentil and chicken veggie soon followed. Then ground turkey veggie chili got added. I pureed them less and less as I progressed.

Avoid celery as the fiberous strings are not good. Makes me think ... Asparagus can be fiberous, too, so be sure to dice them well prior to cooking.

Of course, contact your medical team for confirmation, but cooked, fresh veggies, as long as they are mushy, should be fine.

Hi' date='

I am day 6 post-op and can start on pureed Soups and strained cream soups.

The question I have is under the foods to avoid is all fresh vegetables… and I think that is because there shouldn't be anything “chunky” in the Soup.< /p>

I have a high power Vitamix blender that I was going to make the soup in.. and believe me, after it is done, it is pure liquid !! no chunks lol

Hi there. We have been making all our soups with fresh vegetables since a week after post-op. I too have a vitamix and have posted 3-4 high Protein soups with onions, garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes, cauliflower etc.

The two veggies I stayed away from we're corn because we were told to, and wait for it....asparagus. I just assumed that it would be too fibrous, but no one told me that. Honestly by the time that the vitamix has had it's way with your steamed asparagus, not even it's mother would recognize it so its probably okay :P

May I make a suggestion? Use fat free evaporated milk or soft tofu in your soup instead of the half and half to add some Protein while still making it creamy. You won't taste the tofu.

The butternut squash, as long as it fits with your carbs, I don't see why not.

Do check out my shrimp bisque, lobster bisque, and chicken and mushroom soups, all of which used fresh veggies and the incomparable vitamix. They are posted in my blog here.

Enjoy!

Just checked out the butternut squash one. I'd recommend staying away from the 1/4 c of flour and adding a sweet potato to the steaming instead, to thicken it. Honestly though, it looks like between the squash and the apple and flour/sweet potato, I'd log it to check the carbs first.

Wow... Thanks you guys are so helpful !!

ok then... asparagus is out !!! lol and really at this point I still don't want or have a desire to eat anything yet... still just doing Water, sugar free juice and Protein drinks

@gamergirl yea I saw those shrimp bisque, lobster bisque, I'm definitely going to be making those !!

and thanks for the info for tofo... going to try that

@PdxMan - THX FOR THOSE TIPS !

Hi' date='

I am day 6 post-op and can start on pureed Soups and strained cream soups.

The question I have is under the foods to avoid is all fresh vegetables… and I think that is because there shouldn't be anything “chunky” in the Soup.< /p>

I have a high power Vitamix blender that I was going to make the soup in.. and believe me, after it is done, it is pure liquid !! no chunks lol

Hi i, m 5 days post op and the 1 st soup I pureed was butternut squash and corriannder, its so simple to make and I have enough to last the whole wk, so I just portioned and froze it. I just used a chicken stock cube salt pepper and a clove of garlic and boiled up the butternut squash, then when it was ready to blend I chopped s bunch of corriannder and blitzed it up to a smooth consistancy, it was so goooood after my milk and yoghurt pre op diet. Tommorow I am making a chicken soup with onions and peppers with basil and thyme. :-)

wow that does sound good !!! going to try it this weekend