Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suggestion for the vets forum

My opinion? One year or at least nine months. Not tied to goal. I originally thought six months was enough' date=' but the kind of questions I see from those at six months out has made me change my mind. I believe most people at six months are still trying to get to goal, learning how to eat, etc. I really want to hear from the few people who are here with more experience and have a forum devoted to the issues I care about at two years plus.

We already have a group or thread for life at goal.

Lynda[/quote']

I tend to agree with this.. Even though I'm not a year yet.. Even at a year we have people popping in that aren't very active and don't spend much time researching learning about their sleeve asking pretty basic questions..... But I guess that can't be helped really.

Yeah but are y'all ok with my suggestion to let any post op respond to threads if they have something to add?

Alex, I have a suggestion for the veterans forum that I think will both increase the traffic there, as well as cut down on non veteran related threads. I think the "6 months/100 posts" rule doesn't quite cover things. I propose a 1 year post op OR being within 15 pounds of goal to qualify....and by qualify I mean to start a new thread there.

I also feel that responding to threads should be opened up to all post ops provided they are answering the OP and not just throwing in their own off topic question. I feel that many people who are no where near goal may still have something to offer in some of those threads. After all many of them deal with real life beyond surgery, and we are all veterans in that area.

I agree, even though I'll be kicked out because I am only 7 months :(, but I don't feel I am anywhere near vet status. I still feel like a newbie sometimes and don't think I should be considered a vet at 7 months out. A year definitely sounds like a more reasonable place to be. I mean, for most of us, our weight loss is usually pretty easy during the first 6 months. I don't think the real struggles and obstacles come until you are further out and your weight loss slows down, or you are more back to every day life.

Yeah but are y'all ok with my suggestion to let any post op respond to threads if they have something to add?

How would the system discern whether their post added value or was some off-thread pondering?

The system would need to be based off of values that it can make decisions off of. Number of posts is something which is easy to track. Using the forum join date, would be another. These are metrics the user cannot change to circumvent the system. A user-entered surgery date in the profile should also be able to be used, but, a user could change that to gain entry to post.

Agree, it should be available to read for everyone.

** EDIT **

Also, I don't think proximity to goal has anything to do with being a vet. I think some great lessons can be learned from someone, over a year out, who is having difficulty getting to goal. Also, this would again be a field a user would have control over making whatever adjustments to gain entry.

So are you saying that you think a vet should be a year out to post a topic in the vet forum but anyone, vet or newbie, should be able to respond to the threads in the vet forum?

So are you saying that you think a vet should be a year out to post a topic in the vet forum but anyone' date=' vet or newbie, should be able to respond to the threads in the vet forum?[/quote']

I could be wrong. But I think he meant 6+ months out to post, but at least a year to start a thread..

I'd be ok with one year for each though...

So are you saying that you think a vet should be a year out to post a topic in the vet forum but anyone' date=' vet or newbie, should be able to respond to the threads in the vet forum?[/quote']

Yes, any post op. just a suggestion but I think people have things they might contribute.

How would the system discern whether their post added value or was some off-thread pondering?

The system would need to be based off of values that it can make decisions off of. Number of posts is something which is easy to track. Using the forum join date' date=' would be another. These are metrics the user cannot change to circumvent the system. A user-entered surgery date in the profile should also be able to be used, but, a user could change that to gain entry to post.

Agree, it should be available to read for everyone.

** EDIT **

Also, I don't think proximity to goal has anything to do with being a vet. I think some great lessons can be learned from someone, over a year out, who is having difficulty getting to goal. Also, this would again be a field a user would have control over making whatever adjustments to gain entry.[/quote']

Agreed, but I also think some people just get there much quicker than others, and they are excluded where they might have something to add.

Yes. I am fine with everyone replying. Just this week I had a member PM me with some helpful info on how to mitigate side effects of Calcium supplements because they couldn't reply to my post in the vets forum.

Lynda

Hi Vets I have a Vet primary care doc but having surgery by doc outside doc. Did anyone have trouble getting primary doc sign off because the VA was not doing the surgery?

Hi Vets I have a Vet primary care doc but having surgery by doc outside doc. Did anyone have trouble getting primary doc sign off because the VA was not doing the surgery?

Hi Wendy this post was for a different type of vet--a veteran of sleeve surgery, not VA type of vet unfortunately.

Thanks

I like the idea of one-year to post a new thread and anyone can reply. And despite what it says to the left, I'm a sleeve vet of more than two years. I never had a lap-band.

I like the idea of one-year to post a new thread and anyone can reply. And despite what it says to the left, I'm a sleeve vet of more than two years. I never had a lap-band.

You can correct your surgery type from within your patient profile.

Oh well. I'm coming up on 6 months and was looking forward to chatting with the vets because I have a hard time identifying anywhere else on the forums. I guess i will have to wait another 6 months to do anything but listen in. I read the vet forum religiously already.

Oops sorry I didn't realize this was a zombie thread. Is the vet forum 6 months or a year then? *confused*