Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I ask an embarrassing question?

Okay, so I have been doing my pre-op diet for 6 days now. My pre-op diet is nothing but liquids. So, this is the embarrassing part: I have not had a bowel movement in what seems like forever. Is this normal or should I "do something about it"? :help: :faint:

Thanks for not laughing and thanks for helping me out.

Perfectly normal...no solids in = no solids out.

If you are not in any pain or discomfort, I'd not worry. Trust me...it will come out. :)

Even post op, I have far fewer bowel movements than I ever did before. Dr. Larry Cheskin at Johns Hopkins (a true saint with an amazing touch -- the kind of doc that every fat person in the world should have at least once in his or her life) is one of the leading experts on weight loss in the country (if not in the world) He used to tell us when I was a patient of his -- bowel movements are volume driven. If you are putting less solid food into your colon, it is going to take longer to go through and not to expect to poop every day like you used to. I used to go a couple of times a day, but after my surgery I go once every few days. As long as you are not experiencing discomfort, it is perfectly normal.

If you are feeling gassy and bloated, you will probably want to add some Fiber to your diet. JHU used to sell something called 'fiberfill' which was a pretty tasty strawberry flavored drink that you mixed with Water. I've not felt the need to use any Fiber products, though, post op. Just make sure that after your surgery you are making conscious choices to eat healthy foods and you will probably be just fine.

I just wanted to make a comment about taking fiber. If you are to do so make sure you drink A LOT of Water. Fiber has a tendency to clump up in your stomach if you don't drink tons of water to flush it out which would then cause you to feel even more bloated. Once you start eating again you should have a bowel movement. I didn't have one for over a week and my doctor told me to get Senekot, a very gentle laxative, and that worked wonders. I haven't had a problem since. Don't ever be embarrassed to ask questions. It's nothing we all haven't heard before or even experienced. Good Luck!

Thank you guys for your advice. I feel better knowing that there is hope after all. lol...and Im glad I asked the embarrassing question after all!

Stepahnee,

While it absolutely true, when you decrease your consumption your out put decreases as well, I wanted to share a brief story with you. I decided once to do the Slim fast Protein Shakes. I was drinking Water and following the diet outline. I, like you, found myself having not evacuated for several days. I considered my intake was down but unfortunately found myself in quite a mess within a week. Let's just say when my body decided it was time to void, and the momentum of that was rolling full steam ahead, and there was nothing that could be done to stop it.....I thought I was going to have to SCREAM for my husband to rush me to the hosital.:eek I'm an RN who worked the ER for years. I had horrible visions of being taken to the emergency room, telling the doctor, "I've got a corn cob stuck up my rear"! And the bad part is I wouldn't have been lying! It was terrible! I think some of the liquid diet items may have fillers in them that sit, and sit, and sit, and sit in the intestines until walah! Our bodies are very different so what happended to me might not happen to you at all. I just know in the future, when I have to do the liquid diet, I will take a mild softner/laxitive every few days. Just another tid bit to consider. Best of luck with your band.

Hopeful Church...that is a funny funny story! I ended up having to take matters in my own hand last night and I thought I was going to die too! But I feel soooo much better today. And I just now happened to read your post! It really reminded me of me! Gross, I know, but I can smile today, so thanks everyone for your advice!