Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

big veins tonight

Is this normal?!?!

[ATTACH]16969[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16970[/ATTACH]

Vein on right hand throbs and a little painful swelling feeling on and off every hour or so. I hope it is just a result of lower body fat % and not anything else. Head throbs a little at the same time in right tempera lobe. Normally they are not vasculating this much nor are they painful. What do you think? Just looking for some free medical advice. :)

post-33826-138136688617_thumb.png

post-33826-13813668862159_thumb.png

Not sure but my husband's veins can get double that size! He probably has like 5% body fat haha!

I have to get blood drawn this week - wish mine looked like that!! <_<

They look pretty normal to me in my completely unprofessional opinion. Kind of looks like my ex-husbands hands. The paramedics he worked with liked using him as a poke guinea pig.

I used to be a notorious bad poke when doing blood tests as a formerly really obese guy. 3-4 tries in both arms, failing and then having to take it from the hand. Ouch! Now, my veins are very visible on both my forearms after months and months of training . I doubt the nurse will ever have a problem again. I will be known as "the good poke" by all the nurses. Lol.

I will be known as "the good poke" by all the nurses. Lol.

Must...resist...temptation ;)

I used to be a notorious bad poke when doing blood tests as a formerly really obese guy. 3-4 tries in both arms' date=' failing and then having to take it from the hand. Ouch! Now, my veins are very visible on both my forearms after months and months of training . I doubt the nurse will ever have a problem again. I will be known as "the good poke" by all the nurses. Lol.[/quote']

LMAO....,there are so many things I could say to this but I will refrain.

I used to be a notorious bad poke when doing blood tests as a formerly really obese guy. 3-4 tries in both arms' date=' failing and then having to take it from the hand. Ouch! Now, my veins are very visible on both my forearms after months and months of training . I doubt the nurse will ever have a problem again. I will be known as "the good poke" by all the nurses. Lol.[/quote']

I hope my exes think I was a good poke...

My veins are like that as well! The veins on my left leg get caught on the coffe table all the time!

The increased size is quite common for people who work out. Now the pulsation and headache could be a result of some sort of irregular heart beat, so if it continues you might want to check it out. On a side note, in my 13 years of starting IV's on people in the ambulance, I have found that sometimes folks with the biggest, juiciest looking veins can be the hardest to get, because the veins will roll really easy since there isn't anything holding them, so you might still not be a good poke, lol.

I have this in my hands too, and I can see/feel a vein on the side of my head in my hairline. I am usually not bothered by the changes happening to me but this one makes me pretty self conscious.

How's your blood pressure Fiddle? Or could it be some nerve issue in close proximity to the vein....?

Around-I need to check the blood pressure again. Honestly, I think it has gone up and sill get it checked today. We have a home cuff, but do not use it very much. One observation I made last night is the "pain" throbbed the most in a junction point of the primary vein on top of the hand where it branched towards middle finger and non married ring finger Is that a good classification of that finger?. Essentially, the finger between middle and pinky fingers.

This blood "pump" is a change from most of the year after surgery where I was my bp was consistently 110 / 70 and my resting heart rate was between 40-45. Yes, my heart seemed to be pumping faster and harder now last night. It has since calmed down this morning.

One change that occurred yesterday is I started a new really hard and intense workout at home (my next personal 12 week challenge). Loved it, but man it was a serious push of constant HIIT/ strength. I have also been taking some energy pills to help drive my focus and drive during workouts in order to push myself physically way beyond the point of comfort.

I am not sure to think of it as good or bad. Good, I suppose, as being more visibly vascular is a sign that my hard training is paying off and my overall body composition is going in the right direction (targetting 10-12%). Bad because painful right hand vein pain may be a sign of phlebitis:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_swollen_and_painful_vein_on_right_hand_dangerous

Not something to mess around with. I do not view the doctor with the same level of authority as I used to, meaning, I want to manage my own health holistically if possible. This is not meant to be a negative comment about the medical industry. I just want to manage my own health holistically without having to depend on prescriptions, doctors, nurses, whatever.

I hate to be whining about this pain and that pain or this ache and that ache. Since achieving goal, I have taken my health into my own hands, trying to eat as healthy as possible to maximize my fitness efforts. It has paid off and I feel great, have so much energy and can do physically so many more things that I could only dream about before. I like what I have achieved in terms of fitness, nutrition and general knowledge about both in the last 6 months.

For all you folks who liked the "good poke" comment, I knew it was going to strike a big humour vein (ha!), depending on interpretation. :) Thanks for sharing in my little attempt at a joke.

What is the energy pill your taking, alt of those ones like hydroxycut are mostly caffeine which will increase your bp and heart rate and can give you palpitations.