Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

yes, i had the 2 wk liquid diet--with an additional permission of 2 cups of vegetables (raw or cooked, no fats, no potatoes, peas, corn) each day.

i stuck to Optifast shakes (bought at my dr's office) and diet iced tea, and ate the vegetables (lots of broccoli for 2 days), then onto some vegetable soup---by the 5th day---i was fine on optifast--i really lost my appetite. the first day or 2 were HARD. but i adjusted--and you can too! when does your diet start?

Hi again, thanks for writing back. I start my full liquid diet on Jan., 31 ! I'm excited yet scared of fail at the same time. As a matter of fact, I'm still afraid to go through with the banding because I fear what harm my failure can do to me...you know...like hurt myself as others have.

You know, when you see the success stories on "Oprah" she makes it look like a "cake walk" ...and it's not! She never shows just how hard and how much work a person puts into losing weight with the banding. This is hard work and it takes a lot of will power. Now that I know the facts on how much hard work is put into this by any person being banded, I have to take my hat off to each person who has succeeded. People think if you get banded that the banding does all the work for you...NOT THE CASE! Too bad Oprah doesn't show that!

So, here's what I recommend. Instead of taking away what you love and crave (food), instead add the *other* elements of band lifestyle. If you follow them, you'll probably lose weight, and you'll get a head start on bandster eating. Here they are:

Eat slowly.

Take tiny bites.

Put down your fork between bites.

Chew, chew, chew, until it's mush!

Stop eating when you feel satisfied (but not stuffed!)

Don't drink with your meals, or for 30" afterwards.

Then, drink *plenty* of Water, at least 8 8oz. glasses per day.

Avoid liquid calories (soda, alcohol, juice, etc.)

Exercise at least 30" every other day. (Just a walk is fine!)

Tami

Hey Tami, I thought your advise is wise. I also will institute your advise starting tomorrow. I start my full liquid diet on Jan 31. Thanks for the tips.

I only have a two day clear liquid diet, started off with magnesium citrate, 10 ounces, two days before surgery. I keep seeing this two weeks, but my doctors at Valleycare Weightloss Center in Pleasanton, CA say there is no need for anything longer. Valleycare has been rated one of the highest weightloss centers in united states, from what I read. So I guess it is just different with different ones. I am getting banded on 2/8. Anyone who wants to be my buddy is welcome to send me messages.

:)

I cannot remember the last time I had so many mixed emotions. I am being banded on Wed. 1/31/07...I have been on a full liquid diet for 11 days...lost 16 pds...but the first days were horrible. Bad mood swings. Lack of my sugar fix and the anxiety of "what if?" and "should I?" running through my head day and night have been the culprit. They should put you on the diet and then give psych eval the 3rd day!

I do well at work but leave me alone at home and I start the old habits of looking for something in the form of carbs. Just like anything else, including gaining weight, 1 day at a time.

Hi 1bunni4me.

I am having those mixed emotions right now too. I am being banded on 2/8. I keep thinking of the worst things and getting more emotional when I think of my kids and I hope I stay safe, you know. I am feeling better reading this board though. I am feeling more encouraged. I wish my surgery was this week. I would love to hear an update from you after the surgery to see how it all went and what you think and feel. I think, with me, it is all the unknown stuff on what it is going to be like. The concept that I am not going to be hungry like I am now seems wierd to me. My friend had it done and she swears she is NEVER hungry. She had it done 9 months ago and is at goal. Lost 75lbs and now a size 4.

Look forward to hearing all about your journey too!

I cannot remember the last time I had so many mixed emotions. I am being banded on Wed. 1/31/07...I have been on a full liquid diet for 11 days...lost 16 pds...but the first days were horrible. Bad mood swings. Just like anything else, including gaining weight, 1 day at a time.

Hi Bunni, I get banded on Feb. 15. Like you, I've been going through a lot of emotions too over this. Still not really sure I want to go through with this.

Also, I will be starting my liquid diet on the Jan. 31. Do you have any tips????

I also would like to hear how your surgery went since yours if before mine. I've heard it is painful right after surgery. If it turns out to be true, please inform us all who still waiting to have it done.

Believe me, I'll be thinking of you when you have it done. Just think, that's in only a few days!! :nervous

Ladies this surgery is not painful. Sure your tummy is sore and swollen and you have gas but nothing you can't deal with. Do a lot of walking inside if it is to cold outside and don't just go to bed when you get home. If you have low pain tolerence then ask your doctor for pain meds. I never had any and did just fine and remember it is all so worth it. I wish you all the best of luck but really try not to worry so much. I need to change my ticker cause I am about nine pounds from goal.:)

Congrats on your success. Thanks so much for the input. You make me feel way better! I am so excited. I need to make a signature so I can't keep everyone updated.

:)

Ladies this surgery is not painful. I wish you all the best of luck but really try not to worry so much. I need to change my ticker cause I am about nine pounds from goal.:)

Hi Sally Jo

Thanks for that information. I was REALLY gald to hear it's not painful. That really had me worried. This is the liquid diet I was given. Did you have it as well?

Full Liquid Instructions

It is very important that you eat no solid foods during this diet. The sugar-free liquid diet causes your liver to reduce in size/fattiness.

The main component of the sugar-free full liquid diet should be your Protein shake. You need to obtain at least 65 grams of Protein every day. You should have 3-4 shakes per day. Some brands of Protein Shakes that may be used include: Carb Solutions, Atkins, Choice DM and Glucerna. Any low carbohydrate, Protein Shake with less than 5 grams of sugar/serving is appropriate.

The following liquids may be used during this time:

<U>

• </U>
  • Skim milk or Lactaid milk
  • Decaffeinated coffee
  • Sugar-free Carnation Instant Breakfast
  • Cream of Wheat (NO oatmeal OR GRITS)
  • Sugar-free hot cocoa

• Tomato juice or V8
  • 100% fruit juice-only in very limited amounts (no more than 8oz. /day)

Dilute ¼ juice and 3/4 Water

• Cream Soups with no chunks or sugar (made with skim milk) STRAIN Soup

NO potato or Tomato soups

• Sugar-free Popsicles

Hi Tami,

I tried following you advice on eating slowly and chew, chew, chew...Well, IT IS REALLY HARD TO DO. I can do it if I'm by myself but if someone is around the table I just go back to old habits. This is interesting and not so easy. Well, I'll keep at it until Jan. 30... thanks again for the advice.

Hoddie

This diet, do you have to go to Clear Liquids anytime before the surgery. I am having the surgery on the 8th and I don't have any liquid diet before except 2 days before clear liquids...popsicles, broth, jello...at the start of this two day liquid I take the magnesium citrate. So I was wondering if you have to do that too?

Hoddie

This diet, do you have to go to clear liquids anytime before the surgery. I am having the surgery on the 8th and I don't have any liquid diet before except 2 days before clear liquids...popsicles, broth, Jello...at the start of this two day liquid I take the magnesium citrate. So I was wondering if you have to do that too?

Yes, two days before surgery I need to go on a clear liquid diet but they didn't say anything about magnesium citrate but they still might. My surgery is set for feb. 15. Do you wonder if your doing the right thing? I do. Also, didn't you think that lapbanding was a cake walk before you found out how hard people have to fight for their weight loss. You know, I watch TV in the daytime and they made it sound so easy, but banded people have to work very hard to lose their weight.