Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Every time I try to diet, (I'm pre-op), I swear, I panic. I start eating more than I do when I'm not trying to diet - as if this might be the last time I eat that particular food. I feel like I'm starving, all the time. Anyone else feel that way? And I know it *has* to be psychological.

So, I decided to try a pre-op type of diet before I make my mind up about the lap-band. (Okay, so I'm a wuss). But I figure I need to do it anyway, and if I can stay on it for any length of time, the weight loss will be a bonus.

And what I would up doing was eating most of what I normally eat, but adding Protein Shakes (and more calories) into the mix. (I tried to substitue a shake for a meal, and I'd feel fine - for an hour - and then I'd get so incredibly hungry).

How can I stop being so hungry? After my c-section, my stomach was swollen so much, I didn't want to eat, and it took months to be able to keep food down anyway. If it wasn't for the need to consume calories to make milk, I would have probably lost a lot more weight during that period, instead of forcing myself to consume liquid calories until I could get my stomach to eat semi-normally again.

But now that I can eat again, I feel like I'm starving all the time - especially if I'm dieting. How can I stop that feeling? I just bought some Dexatrim "natural" - green tea and caffeine. It only works for a few hours though. Maybe I need to increase my dosage?

At this rate, I have no idea how I'm going to do the pre-op diet. So, now I'm trying just to reduce my intake first, before substituting the shakes for food. But today, between 6am and 12pm, I've had a South Beach bar, a few sips of a soda, an apple, an orange and a lunchable. And I still feel hungry.

What tricks/tips do you have for making the hunger thing go away while you're doing pre-op dieting? At this rate, my liver's never gonna get small enough.

At this point, you're still deciding on whether or not to have the surgery, right? So, you're not technically on the pre-surgery diet, but kinda trying it out? I know what you mean about that mindset you get into prior to dieting. Everytime I've gone on a diet, I think I gained another 20 lbs. before actually starting!

One thing you need to keep in mind is that not all doctors even put you on a pre-surgery diet. Mine didn't. I only had to fast the day before surgery. So, here's what I recommend. Instead of taking away what you love and crave (food), instead add the *other* elements of band lifestyle. If you follow them, you'll probably lose weight, and you'll get a head start on bandster eating. Here they are:

Eat slowly.

Take tiny bites.

Put down your fork between bites.

Chew, chew, chew, until it's mush!

Stop eating when you feel satisfied (but not stuffed!)

Don't drink with your meals, or for 30" afterwards.

Then, drink *plenty* of Water, at least 8 8oz. glasses per day.

Avoid liquid calories (soda, alcohol, juice, etc.)

Exercise at least 30" every other day. (Just a walk is fine!)

Try this. If you don't lose weight after a week or so, try eliminating white sugar and white flour products. Focus on what you *can* eat, rather than what you *can't*.

Good luck!

Tami

Hello,

I've started my lap-band journey this morning with my pre-op testing. Of course I still have my "nut" eval. to do yet. Talked to the dietary nurse yesterday. Out of everything that I heard, I kept hearing "you must be on a full liquid diet for two full weeks, then 2 days before surgery, you switch to a clear liquid diet."

Honestly, I think I can do this for a week but not two weeks. How did all of you over come this?

Sophorosyne,

I also had the "last supper syndrome" for a few days after I decided to do the surgery. Right now I am 3 weeks away from being banded and I feel fine, I am taking time to taste my food and I do not feel hungry anymore. At first I ate more than I usually do and I was choosing high calorie food, which I normally avoid. So my issue because not only portion sizes but quality of food. I probably ate about 6 homemade Cookies a day for 4 days, then I felt guilty.

Try to concentrate your energy on calming yourself down for the surgery, if you decide to do it, enjoy the flavors of food instead of stuffing yourself with it. I feel so much better after I decided to take care of myself....

My IBM is now 33. I want to be 22.

Good luck

You can stop the feeling by being banded! The band hits the nerves in the stomach where the hunger pains hit. You wouldn't believe how you are affected. Its wonderful. No more hunger.

I have never been a big fan of eating at McDonalds, but for the last two weeks, I have eaten McDonalds for at least 5 meals a week! WHY???? I DO NOT EAT MCDONALDS!!!!!!! Fries, Burgers, damn McFlurries, even ordered an apple pie yesterday! Of all the things I figured I would have for my "last supper", I never though I'd eat at the golden arches....It's all Psychological....

Every diet I have ever tried has made me "panic eat" at some point.

Can anyone tell me what the psyc evelatuation is about? What type of questions do they ask? I have mine on Monday morning then...at 4 p.m. I see the FAT doctor for the BIG DATE! I'm afraid and yet not...do you know what I mean?

can anyone see my questions?

before whenever I went on a diet I would be good for about one day then I would eat massive amounts of foods more than if I were not on a diet. So far being banded this has not happened. However I still do feel hunger it is just not as intense as before and i can be satisfied with a lot less. So don't worry ot not just you with the diet binge eating.

The only thing that I would suggest about the pre-op diet is if you are addicted to caffine and sugar, get rid of it before surgery. I had the worse headaches for the first 3 or 4 days from withdrawl. I don't think I would have been very happy if I had this right after surgery. Just remember it is only 2 weeks, I knew I could do anything for that short period of time. You may go through the same experience again a week after surgery. Or at least I did until I could eat Soup. Which tasted better than any cheeseburger at the time. Make your foods quality when you do eat, soda, even a couple sips isn't healthy and don't get me started on lunchables. I've noticed the more healthy the food the less hungry I feel. You will have to learn it's not the size of the portion, it's the nutritional value. Something I wasn't very aware of before. Good Luck and stay positive and everything will be fine. YOU CAN DO IT!

You don't need to starve yourself....just change the things you eat - that is the way it will be after wls. The tea was a good idea (you'll need to drink at least 64 oz of liquid/day afterward). However....the apple, orange and lunchable were all high carbs...and carbs satisfy you for a very short while then your blood level drops and you're cravings are back. You can detox and cut the cravings by eliminating the white carbs (starches like potatoes, corn, Pasta, crackers, white bread/flour, rice) and just eating Proteins and greensvegggies. Your cravings will diminish greatly after a couple of days. This is the diet that all the successful losers I know live on and they are healthy and getting thinner by the day...and not suffering from cravings.

Good idea to start trying to get control before surgery...clean out the pantry, re-stock it for your new lifestyle, and just know that it can be done....thousands of others are doing it successfully every day.

Best wishes!!

Can anyone tell me what the psyc evelatuation is about? What type of questions do they ask? I have mine on Monday morning then...at 4 p.m. I see the FAT doctor for the BIG DATE! I'm afraid and yet not...do you know what I mean?

they want to know if you know what you're getting into. whether you're ready for the restrictions of living with the band, and if you seem to be reasonably committed to this process. it's not a huge deal. they just want to see if you're "normal"--and not expecting that the band itself will be doing everything for you--that you have reasonable expectations about the surgery and the outcome.

good luck!

Wow, that first post could have been written by me! I also panic eat, but have been putting into practice some of the advise in post 2 before I get banded. I've been trying to take smaller bites and chew, chew, chew.....it's hard to do!!! BUT, it has made me aware of the giant bites I generally take, and the fact that they are almost swallowed whole. I figure if I notice it now and try to make changes, then I (possibly) won't have so much adjustment after banding. I'm glad you all have responded to this topic; at least I know I'm not the only one (and I'm not nuts!). Thanks.

I'm starting to get better. Now, for Breakfast, I'm having a Protein shake and a Protein Bar.

Then, for lunch, I'm getting whatever "meat" product is in the vending machine at work (sometimes it's a lunchable, sometimes it's a sausage biscuit) and Water.

And dinner is meat and veggies.

And if I get hungry before dinner, I'll grab a Protein Shake or a piece of cheese. And lots of Water all day long.

Not that I'm losing any weight at all. Sigh. But I should have my referral for the banding doc in 5-10 days.

they want to know if you know what you're getting into. whether you're ready for the restrictions of living with the band, and if you seem to be reasonably committed to this process. it's not a huge deal. they just want to see if you're "normal"--and not expecting that the band itself will be doing everything for you--that you have reasonable expectations about the surgery and the outcome.

good luck!

Thank you for writing back. your information was very helpful.

Did you have the two week liquid diet before surgery too? If so, got anything you can pass on? I received my surgery date for 2/15/07...

This is such a big step...I'm really afraid of failure and/or hurting myself with the banding.

Thanks again for your earlier feedback.

yes, i had the 2 wk liquid diet--with an additional permission of 2 cups of vegetables (raw or cooked, no fats, no potatoes, peas, corn) each day.

i stuck to Optifast shakes (bought at my dr's office) and diet iced tea, and ate the vegetables (lots of broccoli for 2 days), then onto some vegetable soup---by the 5th day---i was fine on optifast--i really lost my appetite. the first day or 2 were HARD. but i adjusted--and you can too! when does your diet start?