Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a date for surgery

I'm scheduled for surgery on February 12. It's been 6 months since I started looking into the lapband. With lots of research and pre-op tests behind me, I'm ready. I've had time to decide and then reconsider and ask more than my share of questions. Now, I'm looking forward to having the surgery and losing some weight.

Thanks to all for taking the time to answer my questions and offer your support.

Regards,

Debbie

Congrats!!! I am scheduled for Feb 12th too !!

I started my research in August, Things moved along quite fast !

Thanks all for your good wishes.

This is exciting and scary at the same time. Kelsy, I'll be thinking of you. I don't know what time my surgery will be, but I'll be staying overnight, especially since I'm having my gallbladder removed at the same time. I already have gallstones. My surgeon doesn't see the sense in my waiting for problems to start a year down the road(which inevitably will once I start losing weight) and then having to come back for surgery. I know surgeons have different points of view about this, but I'm going to trust Dr. Fielding. He's done thousands of the lapbands (I think it's something like 4,500--maybe more). He's probably run into more than his share of gallstones along the way.

Tracy, hope you get your date for February too.

Regards... Debbie

Thanks, Julie. Wow, your doing great. If I'm reading your ticker correctly, you've lost almost 80 lbs. in 7 months. I'll be thrilled if I lose that in one year, and you can remind me if that I said that.

Debbie

Hi Debbie, my ticker includes a 40 lb weight loss prior to surgery. I am down 39 lbs since June. I am considered a slow loser at 1 lb per week. I love my band though. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Julie, I'm 55. I really don't expect to drop the pounds quickly. If I lose 1 lb per week at a steady pace, I'd be grateful. If I sometimes lose more than that, I'll be thrilled, but I am going to try not to expect it. I've never been a fast loser, which is why sticking to a diet with so much weight to lose has always been so frustrating. At least with the lapband I won't be hungry most of the day.

Losing 40 lbs. prior to surgery is great! That couldn't have been easy.

Debbie

Hi!

I am scheduled Feb 8th for my lapband. I would love to keep in touch with you to see your progress. I am nervous, but excited. I have had second thoughts, but I think that is fear of the unknown.

Good Luck!!!

Hi, lapbandformenow. It would be great to keep in touch with you. We can start this journey together. By reading the different posts, I think it must be very normal to second guess ourselves about something so important. I'm sure it's a fear of the unknown, fear of committment to a new way of life, fear of things going wrong... however, we're very fortunate to have these boards where we can learn from so many people who have gone through this before us. The majority would do it again in a heartbeat. I'm very nervous. After my surgery, I'm going to have to find something new to think about.

Private message me anytime you want to. Keep in touch. Looks like you get to go first (I'm having surgery on Feb. 12). If you're able, let me know how you're doing.

Good luck! Did you notice that we share the same birthday?. We're both Virgo's, which means, my daughter tells, that I think about things too much. So, driving ourselves crazy by thinking about this surgery from every angle is something we come by naturally!

Debbie

Wow!: Looks like a few people getting Banded in February.

You are all gonna love this. I loose about 1 - 1 1/2 lbs a week.

I was banded on HALLOWEEN, and have lost 22 lbs since.

I'll take it.. You are gonna feel a lot better to.

I need a total knee replacement "wich I am haveing done o 02/05/07"

But I had to loose weight before they would even consider me.

So I started on 1200 calories a day, it works. I lost 125 lbs. by my surgery date. They wondered why I was even getting banded. I explained, that

it was Assurance to the Surgeon, that the weight would not come back,

and it won't! The only thing is, I did it my way... They wanted by-pass,

whean I went to a class to hear them talk about this; I said no way! There has got to be another way. The Band, I just love the way this works. I might be a slow looser, but,, it's comeing off. Dr. has told me once my activitey is up"the new knee" weight loss will really come off.

So I am looking foreward to it. Best Wishes to all of you, and remember,

Lucks got nothing to do with it. This is all you. Shirley...

Hi All!

Ya, I would love to keep in touch. I can let you know how things went with me. So far, they have told me that I need to do Clear Liquids two days before the surgery. They said that I can have Jello, popsicles, broth, etc. I also have to drink a magnesium citrate of some sort that helps my bowels clear up. That is what I have to do the morning I start my two day liquids before surgery. They said that I after my surgery on the 8th, I will not be allowed any Water, or even ice chips, that day, until the next morning when they take me to do an x-ray to make sure there is no blockage. They did say I can rinse my mouth out at least. So, it will be strange. Then I was told to be on the clear liquids for 5-7 days, until whenever my first follow up with surgeon is. If he feels good then I can go to mushy foods for I believe about 2 weeks. I have to read over everything again. I am meeting with the surgeon today to discuss all the preop things. Should be interesting. I have a lot of questions. So I will share with you what he said. I am having it done at Valleycare Weightloss in Pleasanton, CA. They have a great reputation. It is only 15 minutes from my house. So, that will make it nice. They said I will spend one night in the hospital.

Look forward to hearing everyone else's info too.

Oh, my name is Audra, by the way. I am 35.