Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saskatoon Saskatchewan girl in need of answers

I was all set to do this lap band thing when I found out it does not always work (:omg: wondering what my odds r). I was looking at Dr Ortiz in Mexico but then I have no after care like fills sweetspots etc. What r u other Canadians doing on this front if u live in the middle of the country.:faint:

Hi Lemonlulu (cute name and welcome!)

:welcome:

A lot of mid-Canada folk go East for the surgery (ie. Toronto). The cost at the various clinics in the Toronto area is anywhere from 15 - 16 thousand...but that price includes "fills for life". In other words, you don't need to shell out extra funds for fills/defills. Some (if they don't want to fly back and forth for fills) will opt to get their fills from their family doc (if he/she is willing to do it) or they find a doc who can do it who lives closer to them (but then they must pay for it).

Not sure what you mean by "it doesn't always work"....it is very rare if it doesn't work and is usually the result of non-compliance on the part of the individual or some underlying medical cause (not necessarily related to the band). If you do your research you will see that the stats are really quite good!

You have done a good thing by coming here to this site....you can glean a TON of useful info from all the threads (not just the Canuck one but the one entitled "General" and "Support" as well)> Also the "search" function is very handy if you have specific questions!

Welcome and research away!

Welcome lemonlulu....luv the name.

Yoda gave you great info, surprisingly....usually she just babbles on,lol.:heh:

Lap-band was the best thing I have ever done. Your right, it's just not the surgery, but compared to all the other diets, and programs, etc...it is the best thing going. Results are marvelous!!!

Come talk to us anytime.

Yup, in Mississauga, Ontario

same here.

lemonlulu, I think I might be talking to you via email? Glad you joined!

by the way... if you were to go the Mexican route, I'm sure you'd be able to get fills in Calgary or Edmonton. (of course you'd want to call and make sure they're ok with doing fills on Mexico-banded folk).

Hi Lemonlulu, welcome! Take your time and do some research. From what I have learned it is one of the most successful WLS for keeping the lbs off long-term.

Yoda is right on the money as usual. The Lapband is only a tool, you still have to do the work ie. eating healthy/exercise. If you have heard of ppl not being successful it's probably because of non-compliance. However, if you are ready and commited to changing your life and becoming healthier, then I believe the Lapband is one of the BEST tools out there.

Good luck and happy sleuthing!

:)

Janice

Hi all!

I am brand-new to the site - just found it and am beyond grateful that I did... You all seem so wise and supportive of one another!

I'm booked for surgery at the TLBC on Feb. 1 and am now (after poking around the site) a liitle concerned about the number of people who have been "de-banded". So, I have two questions:

1) What causes the surgery to fail (aka, what can I do to make sure it doesn't) ?

2) If you need to be de-banded because of slippage or erosion, are you back to square one (having to pay for the surgery all over again), or will they repeat the procedure?

Any feedback you might have would be awesome!

Hi and first of all....welcome b_russell!!!

:welcome:

Congrats on your banding date.

I think the important thing is to know about erosion and slippage etc...in other words know what it is and that it "can" occur under some circumstances....but I recommend that other than arming yourself with the knowledge you don't get caught up in the details and follow the complications that some people have (ie. I will never go to the "complications" thread unless something like that winds up happening to me and I need support). Overall, the chances of that happening are slim...it will sometimes just look like it is more than slim because people are often more likely to come on a site such as this with their stories of "complications" moreso than their successess.....so it may seem skewed.

To address you questions....(at least my opinion....)

1) What causes the surgery to fail (aka, what can I do to make sure it doesn't) ?

I think the best thing you can do is just follow the "bandster rules" that you will be given....that is all you can do. Also....follow the post-op diet that TLBC gives you in order to give it the best chance possible to "heal" and anchor. That being said....even if you "do" everything "right"....shit sometimes happens and it is no guarantee that you won't have a problem (but again.....there ARE more successes out there than failures.....FAR more!).

2) If you need to be de-banded because of slippage or erosion, are you back to square one (having to pay for the surgery all over again), or will they repeat the procedure?

This question if likely to general to have one generic answer. Likely each clinic/surgeon has their own policy on this....I don't recall what TLBC's is but I would recommend if it is important for you to know this that you call or e-mail TLBC (ie. Nisrine) and make the inquiry....it would be best to get the answer from the horse's mouth so to speak!!! (not that Nisrine is a horse!! LOL).

Good luck on your journey...and think positive!!!

:)

Welcome b_russell!!!

Yoda gave you lots of info and she's bang on.

You should kep asking questions til your satisfied. I went into surgery KNOWING I was doing the right thing, and have never looked back!! Best thing I ever done!!!

Kepp us informed how your doing!!

Hi Lemonlulu- I had my surgery with Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. He was great and I have no regrets. The cost was $8500 US. I am going down on Jan 21 for my first fill. There is a dr in Vancouver who will do the fills for me, but his cost is $475 plus I have to take the ferry both ways. I got a ticket from Victoria to SanDiego, plus two nights accomodation for $463, so I am returning to TJ for my first fill. It is definately an investment, but I look at it from the point of view that I am purchasing an extension to my life and that keeps it all in perspective. Hope that info helps!

wow, bandiva... is that $475 a one time, first fill deal, or would you have to pay that each time!? (awesome deal, btw... I'd go back to MX too!)

I think it is each time, but I might be wrong. I was kinda turned off because they seem to have a stick up their a___ when you tell them you went out of province to have surgery...gee, I wonder why I did that! lol.