Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

600-800 calories!?

I've been banded 3 1/2 weeks. I seem to have some natural restriction. Some days I eat around 1000 calories and some days I feel a little tighter and can only manage to eat about 600. Just depends on the day.

Anyway I don't want to follow any strict diet but I have changed all my food choices to healthy ones. I eat more on days I feel hungrier and less on days I'm not as hungry. It's working fine for me so far!

Ridiculous!

And if you work out, which you should, you won't have much energy to do so!!!

Lots of very successful people do well on 1000-1300 calories per day. We all have our low cal days but it averages out to over 1000 for many of us.

I think its ridiculous. Its a great way to get malnourished and lose all your hair though!

Most women who arent even active need 1200 a day to be sure of getting all their nutritional requirements. Even 1000 is chancy. You may feel OK but are risking long term problems like osteoporosis.

I've lost almost to goal (I do need to cut down now!) on between 1500 and 1800 a day. Granted I am active, but there is just absolutely no need to eat that little. If you dont lose weight on 1000 or 1200, then you need to move more, not eat less.

it seems i can only lose on about 800 and since i can't live like that (or i chose not to) i stay the same. i'm learning to accept it. i'm happy at about 1200 and that's pretty easy if i stay away from alcohol. although i quit alcohol for the last 60 days and still didn't lose so tonight i'm having a nice glass of red. lol

I was just at the surgeon's office for my first fill. I also met with my exercise physiologist and my dietician. Dietician has recommended 600 - 800 calories for the next 6 weeks, telling me it's okay to "splurge" once per week and eat 1,000 calories. I checked and double checked. That is her recommendation. I can't speak for the long term, but for now 600 - 800 calories is it.

Realistically, its all you'll get in for the first six weeks or so - very hard on liquids and I know I had loads of restriction for about 8 weeks after surgery.

Long term though, you need to eat more than that. It wont hurt you in the short term and you'll lose fast!

Most days I'm averaging 1,000 to 1,200 per day but my band is fickle...so some days I can only consume 600 to 800......and NO, I'm not losing my hair, and YES, I have lots of energy to run two businesses and work out 6 times per week. I do the best to eat high density low calorie...which gives me adequate nutrition and keeps me feeling full and on a steady moderately low losing phase.

Carol

I,tryed low calorie diet for two months around 600/800 I was only able to lose 4 pounds. Some one from lbt told me to up my calorie intake and I started to lose more weight at a faster rate 1200/1500 was the trick for me Good luck.John

Everyone is so different as to how many calories is best for oprimal weight loss. Some times I think surgeons just want to mark people off as successes as quickly as they can so they give rediculously low numbers. I can tell you, my only rules are protien first, no Water till 1hr after eating, eat three times a day and one planned snack. And hit 56g of protien every day. That's it! I know many successful bandsters that can only eat 700 cal a day because they physically can't eat more, but they also pb a lot! I can eat 1200-1500 healthy calories but have only pb'd twice (dry chicken) It is all about personal comfot levels and energy levels as well. It really is calories in vs calories out. The question is how many calories do you burn in a day? If your job is physical then you may need 1500 a day to keep from fallin face first onto the floor. Find the optimal calorie level for you to lose and feel good. It might take a little experimentation and that's ok :D

I recently went back to my dietician for a review of how much I should been eating. I had been having around 1000 cals per day and was my weight loss had really slowed down. She told me to aim for 650 cals per days and I am certainly not in the healing stages- that is long since past. I have been told that 650- 800 is where is should probably aim for for life- but I am completely wheelchair dependant- i can't imagine that this would be a reasonable long term calorie intake for someone of even moderate activity

My nutritionist says we don't need to consume calories for energy -- we have energy stores we're trying to get rid of -- i.e. fat. We need adequate nutrition (as opposed to energy) that can be achieved, if perfect choices are made, on 800-1000 cals/day.

I eat about 900 most days. Some days I don't track and I know I eat a LOT more. Some days I don't care about food and I eat a little less. But most days, I eat about 900, which gets me 55 grams of Protein and keeps me plenty full.

Do what feels good for your body. I think that's the only rule.

My nutritionist says we don't need to consume calories for energy -- we have energy stores we're trying to get rid of -- i.e. fat. We need adequate nutrition (as opposed to energy) that can be achieved, if perfect choices are made, on 800-1000 cals/day.

Do what feels good for your body. I think that's the only rule.

I agree -- it's very individual, so do what works for you. Factors such as sex, height, body frame, activity level, and current vs. ideal weight should all be considered when determining optimum caloric intake for weight loss. I'm female, 5' tall, and have a sedentary lifestyle, so I'm obviously going to need far fewer calories than a 6' 2" man who exercises regularly. For me to lose weight steadily, I need to consume 700-800 a day. This would be close to starvation for other people. The guidelines that nutritionists give you are exactly that -- guidelines, not physical laws. Different approaches work for different people. Listen to your body and do what works for you.

I called my doc last week to get another fill. I am so hungry I could eat the furniture. When I got the receptionist on the phone she put the office manager on (who happens to be one of the other surgeons wifes, who weighs probably 110 after 4 kids) and she said it was too soon to be getting another fill. I felt like a criminal. I have gained around 4-5 pounds since my last visit. Which I know is bad but Im not kidding I can really eat alot and I do. IM STARVING!!!

She informed me that I need to keep a food diary and keep up with my calories, and bring it in with me next week. She said I should be eating between 800-1000 calories.

Does anyone else have this problem, IM STARVED....ha ha

I guess I feel cheated, how embarrassing is it to have fat surgery and gain weight!!! ha ha ha

Why do these doc's and their employees not have any compassion...after all they are bariatric surgeons...come on!!!

...Okay, obviously Im on a pity party tonight!!!

For 2 weeks I am supposed to ONLY drink 3 Protein Shakes a day. Nothing else except for non-caloric drinks. Each shake is 280 calories. My stomach is growling as I type this. AUGH! I've read alot of variances in regards to what other banders have to do before surgery. The surgeon told me today that he wants me to lose some weight before surgery. I haven't been able to lose weight that last 10 years. AUGH!