Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon talked more about lap band!

Meet with surgeon today. He talked more about lap band then sleeve. I told him I was more interested in the sleeve. He now set me up for another test. EDG? Camera down stomach because of my gerd. He said the acids in my stomach would make me throw up if I got the sleeve. This happen to anyone?

I had the EDG because of GERD. Afterwards, doc put me on meds until 6 mons post op. had only one episode with reflux since off meds, & that happened because I laid down too soon after eating. Never again. It's been smooth sailing for me ever since. People are different though. I hear some folks with the sleeve still have major reflux. I guess I'm lucky.

I didn't have the EDG, but I had an upper GI series. I was diagnosed with a small hiatal hernia, which was probably causing the minor, occasional issues I had with GERD. My surgeon said that my sleeve surgery would be a great time to fix the hernia, and he did. I haven't had any troubles with GERD since my surgery. I take my PPI's religiously.

Most of the surgeons in my area wont even do a lap band anymore, too many complications. I've known so many people who had a band, and had to have it removed, and did either sleeve or bypass after that. My mom was one of them. She had GERD and had a ton of problems after the lap band. She got bypass and has had no problems. I would recommend getting a second opinion from a different surgeon, just to be sure.

I would be crazy to get the lap band right? What if my results come back as he suspects and I have no other choice but to be banded. Would you do it to lose weight. Be banded that is.

What your doctor has told you is totally different than any of the information I have read, and I have read a LOT. I have seen that doctors actually steer clear of the band if you have reflux or GERD because it can make things worse. And as a previous poster said, doctors in my area are also phasing out the band. In fact in my seminar (for the practice) they said they did 45 revision/removals of bands in the past year but only placed 5! So I truly believe the band is soon to be a thing of the past. I would seriously consider getting a second opinion. I am not sure how far into the process you are and it may be a big pain in the butt to switch doctors now. But having the wrong surgery will be an even BIGGER pain to resolve!!!

If it were me, I would not get a band. After seeing what my mom has gone thru the last 4 years after her band, I would never get one. She did lose weight, but had a ton of problems, and the band eroded into her stomach. She had to have emergency surgery to remove the band, and it could have been life threatening if she didn't catch it. A few months later she had gastric bypass. I know every surgery has its horror stories, but the lapband seems to be becoming a thing of the past, and too many complications. I strongly urge you to get a second opinion before going further!

I'm at the point where I meet the dietician. My insurance doesn't require a 6 month diet. Their facility requires a 3 month waiting period before they send off to insurance tho. Have you heard of anyone transferring completed steps to another facility? He's making me pay more out of pocket doing another test. Seems to me he wants the test to come back with some bad results so he doesn't sleeve me.

HI BB78....I am a former band patient that had a revision approx 6 weeks ago. DO NOT get a band is my advice. I, along with others, had many complications with the band and so far the sleeve is ZERO complications. I know I am new to the sleeve but I love it. I never had GERD problems so I can't say anything in that area but I am very familiar with the band issues. I would consult with another bariatric practice and get a second opinion if I were you. I researched three different practices this last time, just to make sure the information was the same and when I called insurance, they said they didn't care who they paid, as long as the credentials were on the up and up. Good luck to you and wishing you the best at whatever you decide is best for you!!!

Most of the surgeons in my area wont even do a lap band anymore' date=' too many complications. I've known so many people who had a band, and had to have it removed, and did either sleeve or bypass after that. My mom was one of them. She had GERD and had a ton of problems after the lap band. She got bypass and has had no problems. I would recommend getting a second opinion from a different surgeon, just to be sure.[/quote']

Completely agree!!! My surgeon will not preform bands either. Says way too many complications... From what I have read, in my pre-surgery research, the band causes more reflux since it can cause the esophagus to expand.

I would be crazy to get the lap band right? What if my results come back as he suspects and I have no other choice but to be banded. Would you do it to lose weight. Be banded that is.

I think you do have a choice and if your doctor says likewise I would definitely get a 2nd opinion. That lapband is bad stuff and one of these days there is going to be a class action suit on the tv every 15 minutes on the hour every freaking hour. Best of luck to you!! :)

I'm at the point where I meet the dietician. My insurance doesn't require a 6 month diet. Their facility requires a 3 month waiting period before they send off to insurance tho. Have you heard of anyone transferring completed steps to another facility? He's making me pay more out of pocket doing another test. Seems to me he wants the test to come back with some bad results so he doesn't sleeve me.

I would think if you have test results and a file with medical records and you transfer to another doctor you would just send a records request (probably with a fee) to the first doctor and they will send it over. :)

Thank you for the replies and helpful information.

I'm feeling everyone here, and disapprove of the lap band. It's just hard for me because there's not a whole lot of WL surgeons in my area. :)

I had quite bad GERD before being sleeved. Still have it now but it was immediately better after the surgery - I halved my medication. See another doctor. Even if its hard in the short term, it will be worth it in the long run.

Thank you for the replies and helpful information.

I'm feeling everyone here, and disapprove of the lap band. It's just hard for me because there's not a whole lot of WL surgeons in my area. :)