Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has your family lost as a result of your loses?

I am courious about your homes. Has this had an impact on your kids and dh? I am trying to get ins approval and my family is under the impression that they will benefit with a new style of food purchasing, cooking, menus, more physical activity... what do you think? myturnow....donnaco

Don't have kids, just DH. In my case, DH has gained weight since my banding. Parents have too, but for different reasons (they live about an hour away so I see them frequently).

In DH's case, he has bad eating habits to begin with but the metablosim of a saint. However, he eats more now than before and it's more than even his blessed metabolism can handle. When we went out before, he use to eat his meal. Now when we go eat he eats his meal plus 80% of mine. And there's less "competition" for food. Meaning before maybe we bought a quart of ice cream, and split it. Now there's no one else eating that ice cream, so he eats it all.

In the case of my parents, they're obese and after seeing my progress with the band are really wanting it themselves. Long story short they're "pending" to see if their insurance company will cover it, but making the mistake of putting all their eggs in one basket. They're pretty much eating out of control, making references to "if I have your surgery..." -- but not doing a thing to keep their weight in check in the meantime.

It makes me sad.

I do have to add that DH and I plan to have kids. Maybe start trying this year. I jsut want to lose some more first. But I've already been giving thought to how my band (assuming it's with me for a while) would impact future child. My fear would be that the child sees my portions and - as children do - models that and develops the belief that what mom does is what is "good". I really could see a lot of future generation eating disorders coming out of banded parents, purely unintentionally. I think the key will be educating the child from a young age.

Well I am a new bandster banded Dec the 18th but my husband has already lost weight because I have not cooked since surgery because he is afraid I will have temptation to eat the food so he cooks himself usually a one course meal

as for my kids they have prob gained a little I let them snack more because lets be honest I want the junk food out the house my kids are under their ideal body weight for a four and five yr old and I blame myself because I have spent most of their lives on a diet and rarely buy junk food

but now in the wks before surgery we started buying stuff I was craving and we have had some left so they pig out

also my grocery bill has went down by about half

Wheetsin

I have three small girls, ages 4,6 and 7. I actually think that they will be better off because of my surgery. They no longer see me eating huge portions, eating in front of the t.v. and eating a lot of junk.

We eat as a family at the table, always have (except for the special times we can have a picnic in front of the t.v. ----GO PATRIOTS!!!!)

Right now my portions are smaller than I know they will be in the near future. With that said, I think they see mom making MOSTLY good choices and stop eating when she is full. They see me having "treats" on occassion and completely and totally enjoying them when I do:)

For now, they don't know anything about the band. I think they are too young to understand it and I don't want to confuse or scare them.

I grew up with horrible eating habits and I hope that I can break the cycle with my kids.

My bills have gone up, because I can only eat some things, and DH and Son like others.

Hubby has stayed the same weight, but both will help me finish what I can not eat. :welldone:

I have three small girls, ages 4,6 and 7. I actually think that they will be better off because of my surgery. They no longer see me eating huge portions, eating in front of the t.v. and eating a lot of junk.

This is exactly how I feel. No more driving through McDonalds for dinner...or Snacks...

People are so highly misled about portion sizes- so how are kids supposed to know what is normal? What i eat now is probably the equivalent of what a young child eats anyway so the modeling is actually perfect for my little kids. Not to mention we are now sitting down to dinner every night with a healthy meal...I believe this will have majorly positive effects on my kids.

Now, as for hubby, I feel frustrated. I mean, I got this surgery so that I would live a long healthy life- but I don't wanna live it alone! I am now realizing that even though he's not as overweight as me, all his weight is in the belly and I have been watching him make really poor food choices. I'm tyring to convince him to start exercising with me at least but I SOOOOO Know how losing weight has to be a personal decision, can't be forced or coerced by a spouse. And dangit its hard with the band but without- forGET it.

Anway any suggestions of how to help him without being pushy, insulting, or seeming judgemental??? I kinda feel guilty since we are paying for this band for me-and even though he wouldn't want surgery, he would like to be healthier.

Sorry rambling!!!

Anway any suggestions of how to help him without being pushy, insulting, or seeming judgemental??? I kinda feel guilty since we are paying for this band for me-and even though he wouldn't want surgery, he would like to be healthier.
Maybe you can see if any gyms in your area offer family deals. You could possibly do it as a family,

My family has definately benefited since I had the band put on November 21, 2007. My 15 year old son decided that if I couldn't drink sodas that he wouldn't and he could really down them before. My 18 year old daughter who stuggles with her weight is watching what she eats and my 12 year old son has become more active. My husband hasn't changed alot of his habits but I know the food coming into the house is alot more healthy than it was before the banding. Rarely any fried food, lots less carbs and alot more fresh vegies. :clap2:

Starting weight 246 11/21/06

Today 211

Hi.

Just DH and me. I don't think he has gained or lost - but I know that he is more motivated toward better eating habits - especially after the new year. He is going with me to the gym - which is good - and trying to cook with more veggies and less carbs - so I think over the long run it will be beneficial.

Someday I might even convince him to try banding for himself!

:]

No kids here but hubby 6'1 and 190 lbs is eating less too. He says he feels like a pig compared to me. My hubby had joined the gym too. I think he was a little jealous. I'm 5'4" so walking with him is challenging but good for me. We walked 3 miles in 50 minutes today (huff,huff). He showed off and ran the last lap.

edie

Yes, my family have benefited, but I always took the responsibility of feeding kids seriously so they never ate badly before.

More changed is our levels of physical activity. My kids always played basketball and football and playstation time has always been rationed so they are active but now our family entertainment revolves around physical activity. We do so much more as Doug and I are not tired and lazy anymore. Doug has lost a fair bit of weight and has been inspired by my running success so is starting out for himself, its nothing for us to take our kids on a very long walk - for example prior to Christmas we drove in close to Melbourne, parked in an inner suburb and walked into the city to do our Christmas shopping, along the lovely boardwalks along our Yarra River. We found rock climbing walls under the freeway bridges which kept us entertained for ages, we walked all around the city and then had a big play in the playground in Birrarung Mar and then walked back to the car in Richmond, all up a walk of about 16kms. That's so good for the kids as well as for Doug and I when previously we would have driven in and parked in the city and walked very little. We also often park in Middle Park and walk to Luna Park in St Kilda (6kms), spend a few hours there and walk back. We've just bougth a tent are about to start camping.

Its all good for us. And for the kids their diet has not changed, as I still cook the same but just eat less. For Doug he's been inspired by my success and has lost weight as well although nowhere near as dramatically.

As the mum, I guess my behaviour was influential over the entire family.

what DW has lost, is a fat grumpy cranky old fart with one foot over the edge and the other on a banana peel...

THAT made me laugh so hard......wipes tears. Thanks Jack. Your posts have a way of brightening my day.

I have 3 beautiful children of healthy weight. No changes, but I fear my dear husband may have gained a few, because he is eating my left overs. Ha, he does that with the kids and how he has to do it with me. He manages his weight pretty good though and I am taking smaller portions.

It has been a great thread to read!

I have been a little surprised by the # of non-banded spouses that started eating the banded spouses left overs..

My DW is banded and I *try* to eat only the amount she does and we take the rest home. Once I am banded (Feb 07 hopefully), our plan is to try to just split the entree. If we can't agree we'll have to do two take home bags.

I do have to admit I am misbehaving a bit right now on things I won't have post-op (high calorie liquids like the chocolate shake tonight.. bad boy!)

I already know my biggest enemy is going to be Water with dinner.. We drink (me now) a LOT of H2O each day.. She easily used to hit 1 - 1.5 gallons. I likely got close to 1 gallon, easily 2 big glasses with dinner... Our nutrionist sad NO NO NO liquids starting 15 mins pre-meal and wait 45-60 mins post meal..... Enemy #1 right there....