Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here, frustrated....

I got banded in May of '10. It was never a happy rind for me. I was slowly raised to restriction 1cc at a time with a month in between fills until I reached 7 cc in an 11 cc band. Since surgery I have never been able to burp. I know weird right?? But never could. My band is fickle there are many days I can eat tons of food and days when I can't swallow my own spit with the same full level with no apparent reason why. I began having horrible reflux about a year and a half after surgery when previously I had no reflux at all. It began getting worse... I paid over $1000 for an EGD. I had horrible acid erosion in my esophagus. My band was unfilled, and I was immediately relieved! But... I gained weight back (~25#, over 6 months) I had lost about 75 with the band. I started at 240, and made it to 164. But after the unfill I was back up to close to 200. I was engaged at the time and wanted to lose some weight for my wedding and couldn't seem to get the weight off on my own so I refilled my band. I have no restriction at 4 cc, at 5 I have terrible reflux... I can't even tolerate the 7 that used to be my "sweet spot" but the truth was, for me even before the reflux the first time, my weight loss was from not being able to keep down food. I would retch after a few bites but still be ravenously hungry... It never was healthy weight loss in my opinion. But I needed the loss so I took it how ever I could find it.

We just went on our honeymoon and something happened-- I stopped being able to hold food down at all. And my reflux which was mostly controlled with dexilant became horrible. I would wake up projectile vomiting straight stomach acid through my nose. I can feel every food I eat sitting in my esophagus for hours and hours... It bobs up and down. I can't even keep down broth at this point. I was in Italy until last week and could not do anything about it. When I returned home, we have recently moved and I am 5 hours away from my previous surgeon. No doc would unfill my band. I am completely suffering, can't keep down anything and the docs are basically telling me I need to pay them $1000 to be accepted as a transfer patient???? WTH??? I could get an unfill in dallas for $50! But I did pay the fee and was referred to have a barium swallow... I did that last Friday I was called after and told by the surgeons office that the band had slipped pretty dramatically and if I experienced and further "trauma or changes" to go the ER. But otherwise they would unfill me tomorrow when I finally get to meet the doc.

I want the unfill, but I feat that because of the slip it may not fix the problem.... I figure they will push for removal and possible revision. I'm looking at my options. I want to have babies soon and I am a PCOS'er. I'm currently 170 pounds. I still do not have regular cycles. My re said the only way I would ever be able to ovulate on my own will be to get at or under my ideal body weight. Which I can't attain with the band in place and holding nothing down. I'm feeling very discouraged and need to know if anyone else had similar stories? I would like to know if anyone is a revision pt in the Austin Tx area... I would like to hear the good bad and uglies of the sleeve and if I should consider it or just leave my band unfilled in its place??? I'm scared and craving relief from the hell of my band. But I'm scared of a new procedure and what hells it might entail also... Advice??

Wow you have been through it!! We have a lot of people on here who have gone from band to sleeve and if I remember correctly most of them are completely happy. I can tell you with the sleeve I have literally had zero complications. It works wonderfully and you don't have to go in for adjustments. I know that some people have had the revision when the band was removed but most of them do a 2 step process. Look on the groups and see if there is a band to sleeve group. Best of luck to you!! :)

There is a band to sleeve revision section in forums. When I inquired about the band, I was told by 3 Drs. that the bands were not a good thing, and that the sleeve was the way to go. I'm sorry you've had such an ordeal.

You have to be careful about leaving a bad band in place. My band slipped last year, I was totally unfilled and gained 30 lbs in the last 18 mths. During this time, my band embedded into my stomach. It took my dr 30 minutes to dig my band out last week during my revision. I had no idea it had done that much damage. It was lucky he could do both procedures at once. otherwise my insurance would've never paid for my sleeve (my bmi is only 28).

The only way they actually know if there's that much damage to your band is by getting inside. Even a ct scan doesn't work for this.

You don't want permanent damage to your stomach do you?

I very much do not want to cause any permanent damage. I am afraid I already have though :( I will learn more today... And I thought I was posting to the band to sleeve area, sorry if it is in the wrong spot ;(

I'm sorry to hear about everything you have been through, are still going through. I hope you get some answers. Keep us posted.

Your post is in the band to sleeve revision board now. Welcome!