Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 week liquid... am I alone...

Am I the only one not stressed about this two week clear liquid pre op diet? I mean I am actually kinda looking forward to it. I'm a chef and always around food and end up not eating much anyways so I feel like it isn't going to be an issue... am I really weird? Has anyone else felt like this? What was your experience?

I got really lucky, because I met a chef in my pre-op meeting who was a sleeve patient herself. She has started her own company and has the most wonderfully satisfying pre-op Protein shakes, and broths. I also bought the Bariatric Advantage powdered shakes for when I traveled and couldn't take liquids through the airport ( I travel every week). I could always find skim or 2% milk to mix with the powered shakes. Plus, I used a lot of flavorings to mix with vanilla shakes (pineapple and coconut flavoring makes the most wonderful piña colada).

Don't forget to make yourself some broths. The salt will help with your energy levels.

Hang in there. It only gets better from here.

I got really lucky' date=' because I met a chef in my pre-op meeting who was a sleeve patient herself. She has started her own company and has the most wonderfully satisfying pre-op Protein shakes, and broths. I also bought the Bariatric Advantage powdered shakes for when I traveled and couldn't take liquids through the airport ( I travel every week). I could always find skim or 2% milk to mix with the powered shakes. Plus, I used a lot of flavorings to mix with vanilla shakes (pineapple and coconut flavoring makes the most wonderful piña colada).

Don't forget to make yourself some broths. The salt will help with your energy levels.

Hang in there. It only gets better from here.[/quote']

Cindy how long after surgery were you able to travel again? I too need to travel for work and I'm curious how long before people are usually up for that--given individual variations of course.

Hi gamergirl: I was able to get 4 weeks of medical leave from my job, because of my travel schedule. I couldn't lift my heavy-ass suitcase for at least 4 weeks after surgery. I then got another 2 weeks because my project contract wasn't signed yet. Heaven is sleeping in my own bed! Now it's back to the grind, but I feel really good now. Not lugging around 35 extra pounds helps a lot when walking through airports!

I'm not stressing over the pre-op....but maybe because I'm not there yet...........I've gone over with the NUT repeatedly what it consists of and, can I tell you, I'm a little jealous of those that get a meal? LOL

Am I the only one not stressed about this two week clear liquid pre op diet? I mean I am actually kinda looking forward to it. I'm a chef and always around food and end up not eating much anyways so I feel like it isn't going to be an issue... am I really weird? Has anyone else felt like this? What was your experience?

I was so angry the first few days of my two-week preop diet that I wanted to sue people! :lol:

If i had to do this surgery again, I'd demand a two-week preop diet. it made my life so much easier after surgery.

I was so angry the first few days of my two-week preop diet that I wanted to sue people! :lol:

If i had to do this surgery again' date=' I'd demand a two-week preop diet. it made my life so much easier after surgery.[/quote']

I had to see the surgeon at day 6 of my Pre-op liquid diet. He knocks on the door and poked his head in and asked if it was safe for him to come in. I said "Yes, but on days 1-3 of this liquid diet I wanted you dead". He laughed and then my husband piped up and said, "Mister she's not joking".

I am now at day 9 of my 14 days and it is going well. I keep telling myself I can do this and know that I can make it the remaining days until Surgery on July 17th.

On my second day of this pre-op diet. Surgery is July 25th. I want to give someone an elbow to the forehead! With God's grace I will make it through without being charged with assault and battery!

I'm thinking the liquid diet is going to be easy for me because many years ago I did Opti-Fast. I lost and gained 100 pounds the same time as Oprah did. I did nothing but shakes for 6 months. It was great. There were no choices, food was not an option. The first 3 days were the hardest, and I lost weight so quickly it was motivating. With this said... I'll probably be whining like most people when I have to do it the week before surgery. It may not be as easy this time.

If i had to do this surgery again' date=' I'd demand a two-week preop diet. it made my life so much easier after surgery.[/quote']

I love reading about all of you who have gone through it, and can encourage the rest of us. I thought it would be two weeks of struggle, but every post I read, I'm assured that really the first 3-4 days are the worst and that it gets easier after that. Cannot tell you what a relief it is to know that.

I'm thinking the liquid diet is going to be easy for me because many years ago I did Opti-Fast. I lost and gained 100 pounds the same time as Oprah did. I did nothing but shakes for 6 months. It was great. There were no choices' date=' food was not an option. The first 3 days were the hardest, and I lost weight so quickly it was motivating. With this said... I'll probably be whining like most people when I have to do it the week before surgery. It may not be as easy this time.[/quote']

Hi Optifast buddy. I did Optifast 3 times and loved not having to make choices about food. 'Course all the weight came back and more once I started eating real food again. Knowing I had lived on liquids before did make the pre-op liquids easier. And I used a lot of the vanilla powder shakes and mixed with flavorings like coconut and pineapple for a piña colada taste.

Good luck on your journey. It's going to be amazing!

Your post says "2 week clear liquid diet". Be sure and check with your dietician on the word "clear". Most preop diets are liquid, but not clear liquid until the day before surgery. So I would hate for you to limit yourself to Clear Liquids for two weeks when you could be having the non-clear shakes.< /p>

I had to see the surgeon at day 6 of my Pre-op liquid diet. He knocks on the door and poked his head in and asked if it was safe for him to come in. I said "Yes' date=' but on days 1-3 of this liquid diet I wanted you dead". He laughed and then my husband piped up and said, "Mister she's not joking".

I am now at day 9 of my 14 days and it is going well. I keep telling myself I can do this and know that I can make it the remaining days until Surgery on July 17th.[/quote']

Hi,

I have surgery on the 17th as well.. It's so true, days 1-3 I was kinda evil lol... I don't see my dr until day of surgery, so he safe..haha

I had to see the surgeon at day 6 of my Pre-op liquid diet. He knocks on the door and poked his head in and asked if it was safe for him to come in. I said "Yes' date=' but on days 1-3 of this liquid diet I wanted you dead". He laughed and then my husband piped up and said, "Mister she's not joking".

I am now at day 9 of my 14 days and it is going well. I keep telling myself I can do this and know that I can make it the remaining days until Surgery on July 17th.[/quote']

I laughed so hard at this!! Thank you for sharing!

I had to see the surgeon at day 6 of my Pre-op liquid diet. He knocks on the door and poked his head in and asked if it was safe for him to come in. I said "Yes, but on days 1-3 of this liquid diet I wanted you dead". He laughed and then my husband piped up and said, "Mister she's not joking".

I am now at day 9 of my 14 days and it is going well. I keep telling myself I can do this and know that I can make it the remaining days until Surgery on July 17th.

That's the beauty of the two-week preop diet. Not only are you going to make it to your surgery date, but it's going to make things so much easier after surgery. You'll have the nominal after-surgery complaints but at least you won't have to feel like you did the first few days of the diet on top of it.