Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Warning Labels in Plus-Sized Clothing?

If fat people have to have an "obesity may be harmful to your health", what about an "Inhaling this sweater may cause nasal disruptions" label for stupid people, or a "Not to be worn with prints" for people who have bad fashion taste? Or "Launder after each use or you will stink" for people with bad hygiene?

Altaloma Guy - I feel for you, dear. My DH says that you aren't allowed to be big AND tall. The stores lie... most of the stuff is big OR tall....

I have been with him trying to shop. It's so true. *Sigh*

Yep - labels would REALLY help with that... NOT.

I love the labels for stupid and stinky people idea. Much more likely to inspire change than labels for the large.

I say the "roads with bike lanes" idea is a great one. I lived in Eugene Oregon for several years while I went to college - where they actually HAVE bike lanes on most of the roads.

You know, I rode my bike to work.... it really is a great idea.

Putting warning labels on the clothes is like closing the barn door after the cows have left. We need to better educate our young on nutrition. We need to help low income mothers to feed their families with limited funds. We need to help working mothers to find ways to put meals on the table when they come home after working all day and the children are hungry. We need not to raise another generation on fast food. Its sad that a 3 year old knows of The Golden Arches. Education is the key, not labels.

Amen!

Umm... do they honestly think that overweight people don't already know the health risks? Cut me a break! It's just one more way for assholes to humiliate people and feel superior and in control.

They should take that extra time, effort, and money that would go into such a campaign, and spend it finding a CURE for obesity!

Double Amen!

It would be completely ineffective and cause retail sales for larger sizes to plummet. I wouldn't buy anything with a warning label. Educate kids to make wiser choices! My employer offers an incentive if you take care of yourself - $5 per pay period off of health insurance premiums. Proactive education can help a lot!

I think it's another ridiculous example of how people who've never had an extra pound to lose think they have any idea what it's like to be obese.

As for the alternate warning labels, I fully agree. I don't like most of the stuff out there these days, there just isn't enough material attached to it.

Putting the warning label on large clothes is equivalent to putting warning label on the inhalers that people who have emphysema use or on the chemotherapy IV bags; "You should not have smoked".

What we need is government intervention into the fast food industry and the grocery industry. Has anyone noticed the increase in obesity since "Lite" foods, low fat, No fat, Low sugar and no sugar foods have come out? Could it be a coincidence?

Maybe it isn't the food, but the marketing of the food. People may actually believe that if it is "Lite", you can eat a ton of it.

Has anyone seen the new  Coke product, "Enviga", that is supposed to make you lose weight by drinking it?

What they didn't mention it the linked article is it would take over 100 cans of "Enviga" to lose one pound.

What about warning lables on slutty clothes that say, "You wear this and you may be viewed as a whore and be hit on by ugly men."?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!1 Love it.

my two favorite warning lables: "not to be used for the other use" and on a knife "keep out of children"

Oh! if only my clothes had come with a warning lable I would not be sitting here as fat as ever! Oh why oh why didn't I get my warning lable???

One of my favorites was on some Christmas lights - "for indoor or outdoor use only". We couldn't quite figure out what other use there was, shut in the door perhaps.

My DH says that you aren't allowed to be big AND tall. The stores lie... most of the stuff is big OR tall....
Sort of like shopping for plus-size petites. Most manufacturers apparently think that you also get taller as you get wider. It is almost impossible to find decent plus-size petite clothing. Even at plus-size stores, most of the petites are too long, and I am only 5'3"!

Sort of like shopping for plus-size petites. Most manufacturers apparently think that you also get taller as you get wider. It is almost impossible to find decent plus-size petite clothing. Even at plus-size stores, most of the petites are too long, and I am only 5'3"!

One of my pet peeves!!! I'm 5'4", and it's really hard to find things. I'm tired of having to cut 3" off a pair of pants, or try to hem a full skirt. I know I could take stuff to a tailor, but even then it ruins the lines of some things to have to shorten them that much.

Ha, Vines Keep out of Children!

How bout "Chew before swallowing" on Hot Dogs?:hungry:

or "Put these on first" on the underwear!

"Not to be used as Kleenix" on TP rolls.

Im sorry, I was just wondering how much money that guy earns in a year.

I don't know, this is a confusing issue. Have you ever tried to explain that smoking is bad to a smoker and it causes lung cancer? Both my mother and late father could care less.

I would not have sat and listened to someone who told me "overweight" causes high blood pressure and diabetes to name a few if my GP hadn't have read me the miranda rights. Warning labels seem harsh, however it is just as big as an issue as smoking imo now that I am more aware of the risks that I was causing myself.

Obesity is as big of an issue as lung cancer, both self inflicted, like I said very confusing issue.

I just was not aware that plus sized clothing causes obesity.....damn....if I had known that I would never have bought them!!!!! Maybe warnings on trans fat, and over prossessed food might be helpful! This is the most prejudicial and ridiculous idea I have ever heard of!