Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Warning Labels in Plus-Sized Clothing?

If you haven't already heard about it, this article outlines the notion of putting warning labels in plus-sized clothing in the UK.

Wow. I wonder when it will catch on here in the states.

Do you think it's wrong?

I don't know about warning labels - but maybe they should ban Fast food ads the same way they have Cigarettes...

Seriously - I could have stayed on more diets if I wasn't being bombarded by Big Macs at every turn.... maybe.

I just don't think warning labels would help. I mean, isn't clothes shopping for the obese already demeaning enough?

Putting warning labels on the clothes is like closing the barn door after the cows have left. We need to better educate our young on nutrition. We need to help low income mothers to feed their families with limited funds. We need to help working mothers to find ways to put meals on the table when they come home after working all day and the children are hungry. We need not to raise another generation on fast food. Its sad that a 3 year old knows of The Golden Arches. Education is the key, not labels.

barbara- I couldnt' have said it better. exactly!

Ok, because I already get depressed shopping for clothing. I don't think I would ever shop if i had to wear a freaking warning label on my clothing! craziness!

The biggest problem is that you can buy "filling" food for $2 a person, or you can buy healthy food that is $4 per person.

There are no easy answers to this problem. And I would personally want the government to stay the hell away from my mouth and my clothes.

What about warning lables on slutty clothes that say, "You wear this and you may be viewed as a whore and be hit on by ugly men."?

I can't open the link, our web censor is blocking it. What do the labels warn of?

What do the labels warn of?

I am quoting the entire (small) article:

"A leading professor in the U.K. said that obese people should be warned about the health risks of their weight when buying clothes, according to The Daily Mail.

Naveed Sattar, professor of metabolic medicine at the University of Glasgow, said that oversized clothing should have obesity help line numbers sewn on them to try to reduce Britain's obesity crisis.

The professor made the recommendations in this week's issue of the British Medical Journal.

Sir George Albert, the U.K.'s national director for emergency care, joined other health professionals in their recommendations. He wants the government to take a more proactive response to obesity.

The suggestion would be to put the label on all clothes with waist sizes over 37 inches for boys or 31 inches for girls. Women's clothes over size 16 would also get a label.

The paper reported that Sattar also believes new urban roads should only be built if they include a separate lane for bicyclists.The professor also said that new housing complexes should all include sports facilities and park areas.

Britain's obesity problem could bankrupt its health system if nothing is done to stop it, according to Sattar. The British Medical Journal reported that more than half of the U.K.'s population is overweight and more than one in five adults is obese.

Treating obese people in that country takes up about 9 percent of the health budget, the Mail reported.

Sattar thinks there should be more political intervention. He told the journal that he also wants food manufacturers to display nutrition information on the content of all meals and Snacks at retail and catering outlets.

"People clearly have some responsibility for their health, but society and government have a responsibility to make the preferred, easy choices healthier ones," Sattar said.

Sattar said in the journal that education should be provided at all levels to change behavior towards diet and physical activity, and obesity made a core part of all medical training, according to a press release."

I read things like that and the first thought that comes to mind is, "Wow, smart people just really don't get it!"

What about warning lables on slutty clothes that say, "You wear this and you may be viewed as a whore and be hit on by ugly men."?

Oh, I like this one! And it might actually make sense! How many women have you known that went out to a bar dressed in a tank top and low-slung jeans that showed their butt cleavage, then complained because some drunk pinched them on the ass? Come on, girls! If it walks like a duck and dresses like a duck and wiggles its butt like a duck, then every cowboy with half a six-pack under his belt is gonna try and touch your quacker. Can you blame him?

Sattar also believes new urban roads should only be built if they include a separate lane for bicyclists.The professor also said that new housing complexes should all include sports facilities and park areas.

That's a GREAT idea! I'd love it if it were easier to exercise. About the only thing more humiliating that buying clothes when you're fat is going to the gym. Maybe with more parks it would be easier for more of us to walk. I think the automobile is a big contributor to our weight. Think of the calorie burn if we all had to walk to work.

This appears to be yet another front in the Puritan war to make everyone feel inadequate about something except for the chosen few. Physicians seem to be feeling the move of folks away from treating doctors as gods. So they have to scare us into spending all that money and stroking those egos. What poop. I do agree with the label for those sluttish clothes that the girls wear. I have noticed (and since I teach at a university I have plenty of chances to notice) that girls seem to think dressing like a prostitute is sexy. Actually, it's sort of disgusting from my point of view. I spend much of my lecture time looking at cleavages that just don't seem possible to me. How can a girl weigh about 120 pounds and have breasts that are double Ds? I guess it's silicone. We certainly didn't have breasts like that when we were young. Well, some poor folks did. They had breast reduction surgery. The worst is the low slung jeans they wear. Aren't they aware that they flatten out their butts because they're so tight? Their butts look mighty peculiar is all I can say. Another thing they do which doesn't make much sense, aside from multiple tattoos and piercings, is wearing stiletto shoes to class. While this may be sexy, it's asking for many trips to the foot doctor in a few years. I gave up walking in high heels for any distance at all many years ago. But I guess I'm just an old fogey. Having taught for so long, I remember when students wore nice clothes to school instead of jeans and a tee shirt. I understand that boys in bigger universities just wear their pajamas to class. And one wonders why I want to retire. It's hard explaining the intricacies of T.S. Eliot's poetry to a guy in pajamas. I guess I should be glad they show up at all though. But back to the original question, this doctor should take a leap.

I would buy a sewing maching and sewing lessons before I would buy one peice of clothing with some stupid label like that! And I rarely use the word stupid! LOL

Don't morbidly obese people deal with enough shame as is? Does this professor really think that this will work? I don't think we need a state mandated form of public shaming in addition to all the accepted public mocking, stereotypes, and discrimination morbidly obese people have to deal with every day.

Shopping for mens cloths is already a pain in the butt as I have to go to specialty stores(I am both large and tall at 6'6'') which cost more and have a reduced selection.(Good luck finding a Metalica T-shirt in 3-X Tall) A warning label to go along with all my problems is JUST what I need. :faint:

Do they really think we don't know the health risks? Does anyone think a label on an item of clothing is going to suddenly spark change, when warnings from our doctors, comments from family, feeling our own bodies change hasn't?

A good friend is in the hospital after having a stroke. Brought on in part by her obesity and uncontrolled diabeties. She knows she had serious problems without reading her clothes.

Umm... do they honestly think that overweight people don't already know the health risks? Cut me a break! It's just one more way for assholes to humiliate people and feel superior and in control.

They should take that extra time, effort, and money that would go into such a campaign, and spend it finding a CURE for obesity!