Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I never discussed a goal weight with my surgeon. My personal trainer and I decided on 150 about 2 months ago. I started in August at 356 so that will put me at losing 206 total. I am currently down 162 pounds.

Honestly, I just started to breathe easier once I got to "onederland". Before then, I was worried to set a goal ;)

No goal weight here. My surgeon said he would be happy if I lost 60. I laughed and said I am losing way more than that. I am 5'10" inches I picked 180 as a goal. At 213 now I am a loose 16. I am hoping to fit into a 12. If 180 feels good I will stay there. We shall see.

Oh in that case I wanna look like this!

But it might end up closer to this

Or this

:P

You are right it's a combo of all things!

Ok fiddle I'm done hijacking your thread :)

No worries Laura.... You are welcome in an thread of mine.

I never discussed a goal weight with my surgeon. My personal trainer and I decided on 150 about 2 months ago. I started in August at 356 so that will put me at losing 206 total. I am currently down 162 pounds.

Honestly' date=' I just started to breathe easier once I got to "onederland". Before then, I was worried to set a goal ;)[/quote']

That sounds great. Are you working with a PT that understands WLS?

No goal weight here. My surgeon said he would be happy if I lost 60. I laughed and said I am losing way more than that. I am 5'10" inches I picked 180 as a goal. At 213 now I am a loose 16. I am hoping to fit into a 12. If 180 feels good I will stay there. We shall see.

I know! Isn't that whole 60% statistic a sham and scare tactic? Personally, I think the doctors should set concrete goals rather than say something vague like "you will lose 60% of you excess weight." Whatever. Go for 100% folks and don't buy into anything less than what YOU want.

Amanda - you seem to have a very good head around what you want in your body at goal weight. I think this applies to guys also. Instead of BMI' date=' maybe we should be thinking in terms of body type like Matthew mcconaughey (for me who is not so interested in being ultra bulky)) or Dwayne Johnson ("the rock") or perhaps even Hugh Jackson. They all have worked hard to reach high levels of athletic body compositions. However, I bet they are all in the overweight section of the BMI chart for heir height. This would be ok with me as long as I can get to this physique without adding on body fat.[/quote']

I don't want it to be like holding celebrities up to an elevated status. And hold ourselves to foolish expectations... But I want to be healthy and womanly.

I guess I look at bmi when its in a certain range as a guide. I totally want to avoid being underweight and I want to be healthy inside and out' date=' not just on paper.

I don't want society to dictate how I should look. I want to reach a point where I'm satisfied and healthy. And womanly.

I want to take the "ass" out of mASSive and put the "oo" in bOOty.

I want curves, not rolls. But overall I want health.[/quote']

Very clever Amanda. Time to trademark that expression before it ends up on bumper stickers everywhere. :)

I am pretty sure that I am her first wls client.

Or at least, openly admitted wls client.

I am an unusual client for her as she normally focuses on diets also. But I had my diet under control already, and she is not familiar with our diets, so she is leaving me alone in that department ;) which i prefer! lol

Besides the diet, its business as usual. She kicks my butt!

That sounds great. Are you working with a PT that understands WLS?

To clarify, she understands wls, but I am pretty sure that I am her first client. So she is leaving the diet side of my health up to me.

Our biggest goal right now is building muscle.

In the past 2 months since working with her I lost 31 inches!

I am not a measuring girl, it didnt interest me when i had surgery last August. Now i kind of wish i would have!

I picked 140 because I would like to weigh what my drivers license says! Seriously! I'm 5 '6" now down to 210. I weigh more than much bigger women which surprises me- I'm a nurse I weigh a lot of patients. I used to be a gymnast and competitive dancer. I say lean muscle would be preferred over being fluffy at a lower weight. Its healthier for sure.

Thank you for your kind words of motivation and you are 150% right and I am going to start doing for myself' date=' Although I have no one to blame for my demise but myself. I need to bring myself back to that frame of mind. I have read alot of your posts and it sounds like your doing great with working out and changing and tweaking your body like an art and that is what all this I feel is all about . You are in that zone that mind set where you can make things happen and thats awesome and inspiring. I too hope to be back in that mind set sooner than later . One day at a time.[/quote']

Wow, I am flattered that you follow my posts. Most of the time it is just me thinking out loud through my diet or fitness processes so hope I do not lead anyone astray. :) You can get that mind set you are after. It come with letting go of who you were and all the baggage that went with it and being open to new possibilities. Once you see something, if you want it, it is just a matter of reaching out to it with a strong enough desire. You would be surprised at how many steps fall into place after taking ownership of a dream or desire. I think a lot of little successes help you feel self confident to make decisions you may otherwise not make. Seize the day!

Belladona - I too was thin and fit at one time, and morphed myself into an unrecognizable blob. I was the one that everyone was surprised that I got fat. My goal weight is 150 - my dream weight is 135

Thanks for the responses folks. All are very helpful in my own decision making and I am sure for others as well. Do you have any more thoughts on this subject, especially if you have an fringe ideas? I am looking for some more esoteric thoughts on the matter that might be a little different from mainstream thinking that have worked functionally for you long term. Statistical Outliers in anecdotal experiences, if you may. The most informed decisions can be made by analysis of a wide range of alternatives.

My doctor doesn't discuss goal weights. For me, I prefer to look at body fat % and clothing size. I would love to see a body fat % of 25 and get to a size 10 or 12 (I'm 5'8" and very pear-shaped). Unfortunately measuring body fat % is a tricky business and results vary greatly. My gym has a device that you grip and it gives you a result (works just like the scales) so I am relying on that, and get tested once a month. There are others (like what the military uses) that go by measurements (neck, wrist, waist, etc)...I get a much lower result when I do that. If I use body mass and 25% body fat, I should end up weighing around 160ish.

From a post I made yesterday....

You know I never really discussed a "goal weight" with my surgeon. And if he did.

It probably sounded like the teacher in "Charlie brown"

Wha wha wha... Approved

wha wha wha...surgery date

I picked a number (in the healthy BMI range) not really putting my full belief into it really being possible

Lol