Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it bad to eat food and spit it out?

Hi! Quick question. I have been craving steak and chicken, and I

figured out a way to enjoy them both without food getting stuck. I chew for flavor, then

spit out the rest. Am I the only one who discovered this trick? I am wondering if I am actually hurting the weight loss by doing this, or if it is a clever way to enjoy the foods I am missing.

Chew and Spit is a very common bulimic behavior. I think as long as you don't make a habit of it and you're not doing it to avoid calories then it's probably no big deal. I found myself doing it too much for awhile there and realized it was my way to still binge with the band. So I had to stop doing it. Just something to be aware of.

I sometimes chew & spit if I want the taste of the food without the calories or the chance of it getting stuck. My husband is grossed out by it but it works for me.

I did this when I first had surgery and couldn't eat the foods that I wanted. Now, I actually just eat it. I haven't had any restriction lately. I don't know if I will continue this behavior once I am filled and have restriction again.

The first month after surgery when I wanted to chew so badly- chewed pizza and spit it out. :girl_hug: Now I laugh that I did it! I just take a bite now so I dont feel deprived and move on. With the amount of chewing required for the band- not much tastes great chewed that much!!

It's not great but if one is in the first post-op month and has terrible cravings, I think it's better to do this than actually bite into it.

Yeah! I confess, I did that a few times post-op during the liquid phase.

I also sucked on steak post-op when I was about to chew off my leg from hunger and cravings.

I'd just have a bite or two of something I wanted - but I suppose a lot of people would do this in the early stages, that liquid phase was hard! I just eat what I really want to eat in small quantities, works for me.

Funnily enough, the foods that really dont agree with me have become totally undesirable anyway, now that I associate pain with them. I wouldnt feel the need to taste them and spit it out because the thought of them is not attractive now anyway.

I wouldnt do it to avoid calories, I'd just eat the food, lol.

I did this just yesterday for the first time and don't see much wrong with it (It was a bite of pepperoni off of a pizza, hehe). It should be fine long as it's just to help get through a phase of your diet and not something you're doing specifically for weight loss. I can't quite explain the logic, but not wanting to hurt your band seems to be quite a bit different intention that fearing the caloric effects. With lap-banders, I don't see how this could be a step to bulemia, because I wouldn't believe anyone would swallow anything that they'll force themselves to throw it up.

Similarly, pre-op, because I was on a clear liquid diet for 1 month, I was told I could have sugar free gum. I've never chewed gum to any great degree, but just having flavor and chewing something was psychologically fulfilling. Of course post-op, you need to stay the heck away from gum for fear of swallowing that and having it clog your pouch. But gum is something you chew, taste, and spit out, so I don't see how this is a problem with other food so long as it's to help you get through a dietary phase and not as part of regular post-op life.

As gonnabethin mentioned, as a recent post-op who is doing this sometimes, I expect I'll look back in a month and roll my eyes. I really, really don't expect to be tasting and spitting out food after I can eat solids again.

The only time I chew something and spit it out is when I am chewing it and realize there is no way I am going to get it chewed down enough to get it past my band without a pb. I suppose, as long as it doesn't become a habit, it should be ok though.

I did this a lot after my surgery. I had a hard time not swallowing it though. It was almost like it is a reflex or something. But after surgery I just wanted to taste something good and I dont see anything wrong with it.

Chew and Spit is a very common bulimic behavior. I think as long as you don't make a habit of it and you're not doing it to avoid calories then it's probably no big deal. I found myself doing it too much for awhile there and realized it was my way to still binge with the band. So I had to stop doing it. Just something to be aware of.

Cat, you are absolutely right chewing and spitting is a bulimic behavior, I have been on an eating disorder unit and that discussion has come up. I find that while eating while I am banded I am chewing and spitting because I am scared that the food would get caught.

Although, I am also finding that I am picking up other bulimic behaviors that I have not done in a very very long time. I am finding that I am PB'ing and it bothers me to think that I am picking up very old behaviors.

Have to share....I have been diagnosed as a bulimic back in 1989 with loads of therapy these bulimic habits that I had which included chew and spit, purging, diet/ Water pills and even over excersing (since I was 15) have past, but I have picked up another eating disorder. Compulsive overeating without the bulimic habits. Gee, then I decide that I did not want to have to deal with any eating disorder habits, I would get banded. It scares me to think that I am going to have a life long history with eating disorders even though I am banded. To this day, when I had to go the psych consult, I don't know how I past; my insurance company and all the doctors involved even allowed me to get banded.

I am trying "one day at time" to get through all my feelings about having an eating disorder and how I will deal with it.

Thanks for letting me share and be honest!

I am also guilty of this odd behavior. I know it is considered a bulimic behavior. I don't plan for it to become a habit, as I have done it twice during this post op liquids for a month phase which I find TERRIBLE! I had a piece of pizza the other night that I chewed for the flavor and spit out. Yes, it is gross, but I really enjoyed the flavor without fearing that I was going to have a complication with my pouch. In the future, when I can eat, I will be happy with my little bit that I can have and move on.

BTW, I don't find it easy to spit it out, as part of the joy in eating is the swallowing part. Just my opinion.