Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port Revision

Guest Tied2BeFit

I went for a fill on yesterday and my Dr was unable to do it because my port has "flipped" so much that he said he would have to go through my ribs to get to the front of the port. This is my 3rd visit. I got the first fill about 2-3 months ago and at that time he had difficulty with th port and said it had slipped. I went back to get an unfill because I was too tight and he stated the same thing. This time he couldnt even get to it. Has anyone else had this problem? I have to have a "minor" surgery to have the port revised.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

I have to have a "minor" surgery to have the port revised.

Hey, I just had this port revision surgery on Friday the 23rd. My port was not flipped but it was tilted and made it difficult to access and on top of that with the port being tilted it pushed the tubing outward. It never protruded through my skin but it came awfully close. So on Friday the 23rd I underwent the easiest surgery I have ever had. I went into the OR at 12noon and was home resting by 5pm.

I have One incision. My surgeon used the same scar from the initial port placement.

For all the aggravation of having a port out of position I highly recommend getting it relocated for easier access.

Consider yourself lucky if all he needs to do is re-position your port! My port became such a problem that my doctor had to do a 2nd surgery to remove the port. He gave me my first fill before he removed it, but I can't have another fill till I'm completely healed and have a 3rd surgery to put a new port in. And I'm a slow healer, so I probably won't have a port put back in for many moons. Good luck with the revision... I'm a little jealous of you guys.

Hey, Penni, how's your port feeling these days?

Hey, Penni, how's your port feeling these days?

Me port is fine me darlin. The area is somewhat sore and a little bruised (yellowish in color). But other than that it is great.

Go for a check up with Dr. Hunky er Dr. Billy that is on August 10th.

My port was removed 6/17, and the area is still discolored. Kinda looks bruised, then again I have bad scarring from the allergic reactions to the bandages. Can you believe I actually had bad blisters from bandages? As if I don't have enough port issues.

Can you believe I actually had bad blisters from bandages? As if I don't have enough port issues.

I put neosporin on this for one night when it started that weeping again. I decided to just deal with the weeping instead of all that neosporin. IT looks much better today. It is still red and irritated but that is from the glue they used to stitch me up instead of stitches. I forgot to tell Billy that I was allergic to the glue. IDIOT me was so enamored with him that I got all tongue tied. OOPS that was drooling problems I had actually. LOL!!!

I just put a light layer of hydrocortisone cream on the area and it is drying up nicely now. Still itches every now and then but for the most part it is great.

Guest Tied2BeFit

Ok it looks like I can quit complaining. If the surgery is that easy I wont worry. I've never had any protruding or any indication that I had port problems other than the fact that the fills were difficult to perform.

Thanks for the information.

Good luck to you, Tied2!! Let us know how it goes for you!!

Just think, once they get this thing in place, you'll be able to get fills as needed, which means more weight loss coming your way!!

Guest Tied2BeFit

Yea! I definitely want the fills. Another question...How much is everyone getting during their fills. My first fill was 2 cc's but I couldnt swallow liquids so I had .5 removed. That was still pretty tight but at least I could swallow some. I'm pretty worried about getting more than .5 cc's for my next fill.

I have a friend that get's small fills (I think .5 cc's) about once per month. Is there any norm out there?

There is no set schedule for fills as each and every band and person with a band is different. They do say that 'sneaking' up on the sweet spot is the best way. Too aggresive fills leads to more complications.

Amounts mean nothing really, it's which one works best for you.

I think they took 2.4ccs out of mine when it was extremely uncomfortable. Before that I was at 2.0 which was pretty perfect.

Good luck!

Fills are such a mystery. What works for one might not work for another. Some doctors fill you up to the top, others sneak up on you. I think I like the sneaking up on you approach, but when you have to travel to a different country, that's not convenient. My doctor gave me 1.8 cc before he removed my port. There are rare days that I'm too restricted to eat anything but mushy, then other days where I can eat quite a bit. I hope it keeps up, cuz I like where it's at.

Guest Tied2BeFit

I think I like the idea of taking it up slowly also. Thanks for all of the information. I'm glad I found you guys!

Hi, I am nana and i am knew here. I was reading your stories and my port is also flippped, my doctor has a hard time getting to it so we do it under xray. I asked him if this could cause the band not to work and he said no because he is able to acess the band. Well for the last 5 months I have not been able to loose any weight and I have had 4 fills. But he still insist that he is flling the band. Does anyone have any input on this. Thanks

I had port revision on Jan 15th, my doctor wasn't able to access my port in the office and sent me off to x-ray just to discover that it had flipped over. The surgery was really easy, I went in at 12 noon and was home by 4:30 or so. I went back to work the next day, and a week later the only reminder I have is the scar and a little yellow bruise. He used different sutures this time so I shouldn't have anything to worry about now. He also gave me a 1cc fill a (which was why I went to him in the first place) and things are picking up again!