Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated Beyond Belief & Having Second thoughts ...

So, Tuesday June 25th I was supposed to be sleeved, at this point (today is Thursday the 27th) I would have been discharged and over this entire situation. On Monday night after being on liquids for days I received a call from the surgeon's office "no can do" my urinalysis from pre surgical testing had blood in it (I had my period) after yelling at the girl for ten minutes, I hung up where I retreated to a Peanut Butter & jelly sandwich and a box of Kleenex! I had come so far and within hours there is no hope. Emotionally I was prepared, I had made peace with my decision and was really feeling good mentally...now I am ALL over the place, having second thoughts ..its as if I lost my "mojo" so to speak..I just re did my urinalysis and whattya know, NO INFECTION! REALLY????? unreal! I have yet to reschedule the surgery, I have no date and Im left kinda in limbo...I know I desperately need to lose weight and I want to but now Im scared this is a sign...that being said...I have some questions maybe the post op patients can help with, so here goes... 1. How do you train your brain to stop shoveling it in after surgery? 2. I had a C-section and it wasn't that horrible, is the pain similar ? 3. Can you describe to me what you consume in a day? Thanks guys, so much! I read all your post's and I envy you all, such a strong bunch of wonderful people!!!!!!

It hurts to eat when u feel full I am told (I haven't gotten to the point where I feel full) so I am guessing your body will train you when to stop eating. Your story is horrible i would have been pissed too, dont feel discouraged.

I am going on more than 6 weeks post op...after surgery you can't eat and I think because of my determination to follow all of the doctor's rules for my safety I have been keeping my intake exactly where it needs to be and it helps to track intake with MyFitnessPal or any other program you may have.

I am 100% honest about this, I did not have any issues with the pain. Nothing that the medication they provided me in the hospital didn't help. I didn't take anything once out of the hospital, other than Tylenol...once.

And last but not least, I eat sugar free Popscicles, Sugar Free Jello, 1 Protein Shake a day, and then 3 meals which consist of 2 ounces of food.< /p>

I hope things go the way you want them and you get back in and get scheduled!

Thanks you guys! I appreciate that! I am pissed at the surgeon, I haven't called the office yet to tell them "I TOLD YOU SO!!" Im waiting till I calm down, I know I need to do this, Im trying so hard to mentally prepare again :)

Keep your head up! I know you might not want to hear this- but they may have been a reason your surgery was delayed. Everything happens for a reason? This is just part of YOUR story!

1) shoveling it in? Haha. I'm 3 weeks out and I don't want to even think about solid food yet. Yesterday was the 1st day I ate 3 oz together- 2oz tuna salad + 1oz Greek yogurt for dinner.

2) I never had children, so I can't compare the pain to a csection. But I can say I survived with no pain medication - but hey, everyone's different. My pain was pretty mild.

3) like I said, I'm only 3 weeks out, so I still consume very little. I eat about 2 oz for Breakfast (yogurt or cream of wheat- something like that) -- a Protein shake for lunch (8oz, but takes a while to get in), dinner- (a little tuna, tuna salad, tonight I'm making chicken salad! Mmm) and of course I sip Water all day-- I'm getting around 50-something oz of Water a day. But that took practice-- the first day after surgery I only got in 5 oz of water.

Good luck!! I'm sure everything will come out great!-- maybe not like you planned, but great!

I am going on more than 6 weeks post op...after surgery you can't eat and I think because of my determination to follow all of the doctor's rules for my safety I have been keeping my intake exactly where it needs to be and it helps to track intake with MyFitnessPal or any other program you may have.

I am 100% honest about this' date=' I did not have any issues with the pain. Nothing that the medication they provided me in the hospital didn't help. I didn't take anything once out of the hospital, other than Tylenol...once.

And last but not least, I eat sugar free Popscicles, sugar free Jello, 1 Protein shake a day, and then 3 meals which consist of 2 ounces of food.

I hope things go the way you want them and you get back in and get scheduled![/quote']

Your diet seems about the same as mine and everyone says its crazy. I can have as much non caloric Clear Liquids as I want and 2oz 3x per day of a Protein. Week 1&2 I was limited to shakes week 3 I added in yogurt, cottage cheese, canned veggies and eggs, week 4 I added fish, week 5 (this week) I added in chicken and turkey and today I can try beef or pork. Havent had any issues and like nuchnuch I was off painkillers day 2 in the hospital. I was back to work in 5 days, back to the gym at 7 days

1. You can't physically shovel it in anymore (or you'll barf) and you don't have the same hunger sensations. You eat untl you feel satisfied. I don't eat until I feel full.

2. I haven't had a c-section, but I did have a lapro. partial coloectomy a couple years agao, an it it hurt way worse than VSG surgery. VSG surgery was fine for me. I was back to working FT 4 days after surgery.

3. I eat pretty normally now...except much smaller quantities. I stay away from bread, rice, Pasta and sweets. Not because I can't tolerate them, but because eating those things lead me directly down the path of needing VSG. I eat a lot of different kinds of Protein and some veggies. I don't eat much fruit. I find it makes me crave carbs.

Give your surgeon a call, get rescheduled. It was the best gift I ever gave myself.

Give them a call...get the ball rolling. Just don't give up.

I too had blood in my urine during the pre-op physical, I told them I had my period and they said ok. I would call your surgeon and find out about a new date.

Trust me after surgery, food is the last thing you are thinking of. The first few days after surgery are the worst, by date 3 you should be feeling fine.

Good Luck! Don't let this little bump in the road throw you of course!

thank you guys so so much!!!! you have helped more than you know, you are awesome!!!!! :D

So, Tuesday June 25th I was supposed to be sleeved, at this point (today is Thursday the 27th) I would have been discharged and over this entire situation. On Monday night after being on liquids for days I received a call from the surgeon's office "no can do" my urinalysis from pre surgical testing had blood in it (I had my period) after yelling at the girl for ten minutes, I hung up where I retreated to a Peanut Butter & jelly sandwich and a box of Kleenex! I had come so far and within hours there is no hope. Emotionally I was prepared, I had made peace with my decision and was really feeling good mentally...now I am ALL over the place, having second thoughts ..its as if I lost my "mojo" so to speak..I just re did my urinalysis and whattya know, NO INFECTION! REALLY????? unreal! I have yet to reschedule the surgery, I have no date and Im left kinda in limbo...I know I desperately need to lose weight and I want to but now Im scared this is a sign...that being said...I have some questions maybe the post op patients can help with, so here goes... 1. How do you train your brain to stop shoveling it in after surgery? 2. I had a C-section and it wasn't that horrible, is the pain similar ? 3. Can you describe to me what you consume in a day? Thanks guys, so much! I read all your post's and I envy you all, such a strong bunch of wonderful people!!!!!!

I can absolutely understand your frustration. I went in for sleeve & gall bladder removal on November 6. I woke up from surgery, intubated and my hands tied down. The nurse was calmly explaining that I had a complication during surgery and they only got the Gall bladder finished. Half way through surgery my heartbeat started racing and they didnt' know what to make of it. Turns out it was very common and not at all dangerous. But better to be safe than sorry. I was so disappointed. In my 44 years I had never been in the hospital, so voluntarily going in for surgery was a hard pill to swallow. It took me a few hours, but I decided to adopt a "it all happens for a reason" attitude. I didnt' take it as a sign not to have the surgery, just that it wasn't meant to be that day.

I stuck out my pre-op diet for another month and I'm so happy I did. I was sleeved a month later and it has been the absolute best decision I ever made. Staying on track that month in between really helped my commitment to the plan. I didn't have to stay on the pre-op.. I chose to. It prepared me so much for getting myself used to the new normal that was to come.

Thankfully it was only a urine test with no serious issues found. So many aren't that lucky. Yeah, I'm giving you the Glass half full speech.. But it does not take away your disappointment.

I'm sorry it got delayed, but it will happen.. Stay the course and you'll be better off for it.

Good luck!!

Hey Emilysmom,

If you don't mind, I'd like to share my story with you. I was originally scheduled to be sleeved on May 6th. i was all psyched and ready, starving from the pre-op diet (pissed off bc i only lost 3lbs during the pre-op diet lol) and in a good place mentally about my life long decision. I was admitted, changed into my gown, had my hospital tags/wristbands on, even the hair bonnet thing they put on you just before you get to the OR. Well, while waiting on the gurney, my morning blood sugars came in (i am a type 1 diabetic), and my sugar was 59, apparently my endocrinologist didn't adjust my insulin enough to account for the fact that I'd have nothing in my system starting midnight day of surgery. Bc you can't have anything in your tummy, and the only way to safely bring ur sugar up is to drink glucose, they had to reschedule me. I WAS CRUSHED!! I was literally a few minutes from being wheeled into the OR when i was hit with this news. I cried rigth there, and my surgeon felt awful. He moved mountains to get me rescheduled for the following Tues, and like you, I had lost much of my mojo, thinking "is this a sign? is God trying to tell me this isnt' for me?" Well, I managed to put those fears aside (I truly feel that's fear I was hearing in my head) and on May 14, I was sleeved successfully.

I never got my mojo back in terms of how excited I was to have the surgery...but I did it anyway. And you know what, the very next week, when I noticed I had lost 11lbs, THEN it hit me. I made the best decision of my life! I never had a c-section so I can't compare the pain, but I can say that the gas pain in my shoulder was worse than the pain in my incisions. I took a pain killer for a day or two after just for that, bc gas-x didnt work (it's not gas pain in your intestines, its the air they put into your abdominal cavity so the laproscope is free to move around in there; they can't always get all the air out before closing you up and this air or gas pain causes discomfort, especially as it travels around). Walking helps dissipate it greatly, actually.

I hope my story helps you a bit! I really really want you to have the strength and patience to call back, get rescheduled, and try again!!! Please keep us posted, feel free to message me if you have other questions, and best of luck to you, my dear!!!

Please don't give up. They are just taking precautions for you health. Call and get another date and get back on the preop diet. I am 4 weeks out. I have a 4 oz tupperwear bowl. If it don't fit..it doesn't get eaten and most of the time I only eat half. You will feel it...and when you feel it don't force it. As far as hurting, I took myself off pain meds the next morning...just refused them and hadn't had any since, but that is me and I'm a real whimp.

you ladies are amazing! I cannot imagine waking up and it NOT being over, that's crazy! Or being wheeled in and being told to go home. I am so sorry! I guess I shouldn't complain huh? ugh! the disappointment sent me into a tail spin..depressed doesn't even begin to describe it. But..I thank you all for sharing your stories with me, you are truly amazing!!! XOXOOXOXOXOOXOXO Lots of Love to you all!

So' date=' Tuesday June 25th I was supposed to be sleeved, at this point (today is Thursday the 27th) I would have been discharged and over this entire situation. On Monday night after being on liquids for days I received a call from the surgeon's office "no can do" my urinalysis from pre surgical testing had blood in it (I had my period) after yelling at the girl for ten minutes, I hung up where I retreated to a Peanut Butter & jelly sandwich and a box of Kleenex! I had come so far and within hours there is no hope. Emotionally I was prepared, I had made peace with my decision and was really feeling good mentally...now I am ALL over the place, having second thoughts ..its as if I lost my "mojo" so to speak..I just re did my urinalysis and whattya know, NO INFECTION! REALLY????? unreal! I have yet to reschedule the surgery, I have no date and Im left kinda in limbo...I know I desperately need to lose weight and I want to but now Im scared this is a sign...that being said...I have some questions maybe the post op patients can help with, so here goes... 1. How do you train your brain to stop shoveling it in after surgery? 2. I had a C-section and it wasn't that horrible, is the pain similar ? 3. Can you describe to me what you consume in a day? Thanks guys, so much! I read all your post's and I envy you all, such a strong bunch of wonderful people!!!!!![/quote']

That's awful! How disappointing!

1. The best advice I received was to be aware when you're eating. Sit at the table, measure your food, put your fork down between bites, chew slowly, use smaller utensils and smaller plates. Your hunger hormones will be reduced. You may even need a reminder to eat on some days. Try to break bad habits before surgery. Remember after surgery that you are putting food into a place that has been cut open and stapled back together. It requires that you be aware so that you won't cause a complication.

2. VGS was a breeze compared to my c-section. My c-section was an incision 8" long, the VGS was 4 incisions 1" or less and 1 hole for the drain tube. I needed pain meds for about 2 weeks after the c, but only for 1-2 days after the VGS and not as strong or as many.

3. I am 5.5 months out. I eat 2-4 ounces of Protein 3 times a day (chicken, tuna, shrimp, eggs, turkey, cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese) along with a few bites of veggies and 1-2 Snacks (nuts, cottage cheese, yogurt). Some days I have a Protein shake instead of a meal. Every other week I have guacamole with a few multigrain chips. A few days a week I eat fruit as a snack (strawberries or watermelon).

Hope everything works out for you! The one thing that will get you through this whole process is patience, so maybe this setback was so that you could work on that? :)