Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best gas pain relief remedies post surgery???

I read on another post to get rid of gas to kneel on the floor and bend in half, like in a worshipful position, face to ground. They said the air would come right out!!!!

Audree

Do you think I am pass the gas phase if I am on day 4? I have been walking on the tredmill and all is good so far? However, I would love to be able to just do a small burp!

I was banded on Dec. 18th 2006

Walking helped me. but now my acid medicine prevacid, makes me have gas problems like burping, etc.

I also have a problem I call it an air lock, i really dont know what it is, but sometimes I get a horrible cramp in my lower stomach region, near my lowest incision. It sometimes happens after i eat or drink or just randomly. I've followed my diet step by step not skipping a thing. It just happens randomly, if any one knows what it is, your information is greatly appreciated. I go in for my first check up on Jan 15th of 2007, I'm a little nervous about it, whether its erosion or slippage... any information be for the first check up will help

my band was stitched in place... I don't know alot about the band types... I had my first Lap band meeting for information in Aug. of 2006 I'm going to ask my doctor more questions on the 15th.

I think I had "air lock" for awhile after my op but it eventually went away and doesn't bother me anymore. It happens shortly after you eat, right?

Air lock is a good name for it. I began to suffer from it awhile after I was first banded. It would affect me after I had eaten and while I was lying down watching TV in the evening. The gas pain was localised and quite severe. You will be glad to know that this does go away. I haven't had it for months now.

In preparation for my surgery, I knew to shop for Gas X. However, I was able to find Gas X STRIPS; that dissolve on your tongue! I'll let you know how that works out! Hopefully I won't need them at all! lol Wishful Thinking.:party:

I got this from a google search for natural gas relief:

Indigestion and heartburn are caused by an increased or decreased secretion of acids and other digestive enzymes in the abdomen. Symtoms include burning, a feeling of fullness and gaseousness in the abdomen. Reflux esophagitis is the medical name for heartburn. The acid reflux is caused by the flow of gastric juices up the esophagus. Indigestion and heartburn are usually caused by overeating, obesity, chocolate, fried foods, carbonated beverages, alcohol, coffee, and cigarettes. Eliminating these causes is the first step in preventing occurrences of indigestion. Eat small meals, eat slowly, limit intake of Fluid during meals, avoid spicy foods, eat whole-grain carbohydrates such as bread, brown rice, and Pasta, and avoid eating fruit with or after meals.

The following remedies for indigestion can be found in health food stores.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center><SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-6167988213978292";google_ad_width = 180;google_ad_height = 90;google_ad_format = "180x90_0ads_al";google_ad_channel ="5878910303";google_color_border = "FFFFFF";google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";google_color_link = "339933";google_color_url = "000000";google_color_text = "000000";//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><IFRAME name=google_ads_frame marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-6167988213978292&dt=1167690625265&lmt=1114756961&prev_fmts=336x280_as&format=180x90_0ads_al&output=html&channel=5878910303&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpapa.essortment.com%2Fnaturalremedies_rvff.htm&color_bg=FFFFFF&color_text=000000&color_link=339933&color_url=000000&color_border=FFFFFF&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dnatural%2Bremedies%2Bfor%2Bgas%2Bpain&u_h=800&u_w=1280&u_ah=766&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-480&u_his=56&u_java=true" frameBorder=0 width=180 scrolling=no height=90 allowTransparency></IFRAME></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Peppermint in tea or tablet form contains menthol and has an antispasmodic effect on the digestive tract. It relieves gas and stomach cramps.

Chamomile in tea or tablet form has antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory and gas-relieving effects.

Slippery elm bark in tea or tablet form helps form a protective coating in the stomach.

DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice) is an anti-ulcer agent.

Ginger in tea or tablet form relieves gas and reduces bloating and pain.

Aloe vera gel helps soothe the stomach.

Activated charcoal tablets or capsules are useful for gas pain. Charcoal absorbs medications and should not be taken within two hours of taking any medicine.

To relieve pressure at night, use blocks to raise the head of the bed frame at least 6 inches. This will lessen the pressure on the stomach and prevent stomach contents from moving into the esophagus. Wait a couple of hours after a meal before lying down. sleep on the left side of the body, the stomach is lower when lying on the left side.

Stress, obesity, and pressure on the stomach can cause indigestion. These causes can be eliminated by participating in regular exercise such as walking, bicycling, swimming, or yoga. Avoid strenuous exercise immediately after a meal.

Aromatherapy can relieve an upset stomach. The following essential herbal oils can be used in an infusion or diluted with almond or olive oil (four drops of herbal oil with an ounce of almond or olive oil) and massaged onto the abdomen:

Peppermint

Marjoram

Fennel

Coriander

Always consult a physician before proceeding with any remedy.

Aloe Vera ( aloe bardadensis)

History and uses : Nowadays a surprising number of people take advantage of the skin-softening properties of aloe vera in some way. It has long been used in folk medicine, and modern research indicates that when applied externally, aloe vera restores skin tissues and may aid the healing of burns and sores. It can also be used on blemishes and dandruff, and it works cosmetically to keep skin soft.

While aloe seems to be the most potent when taken fresh from the leaf, it is an ingredient in several skin creams and shampoos. However, these products contain only small amounts of aloe. Aloe gel has also been taken internally for stomach disorders, while dried aloe latex - a different substance derived from the leaf - is a strong laxative.

Anise ( Pimpinella anisum )

History and uses : Anise with it's nippy licorice flavour, has been used for centuries in both foods and medicines. The ancient Greeks, including Hypocrates, recommended it for coughs. Ancient Romans used anise in a special cake that concluded their enormous feasts. They included it not only for it's flavour, but to aid digestion and ease flatulence. The ancients also used anise as an aphrodisiac, for colic, and to combat nausea.

Today anise is still used for coughs, in both syrups and lozenges. Drinking a tea made from the crushed and steeped seeds is said to aid digestion and ease gas pains. Some herbalists also recommend the tea to nursing mothers to increase milk flow. Anise is considered safe when taken in reasonable amounts. Plant Parts & Active Compounds : Seed. Anethole and other aromatic compounds.

Basil ( Ocimum basilicum )

History and uses : Herbe royale to the French, a sign of love to Italians, and a sacred herb in India, basil has a rich and fanciful history, and a reputation for both good and evil. Some ancient herbalists believed that basil damaged the internal organs and caused the spontaneous generation of scorpions inside the body.

Various cultures of the world have found their own uses for basil. In the Far East it has been used as a cough medicine, and in Africa it has been used to expel worms. American colonists considered basil the essential ingredient in a snuff used to ease headaches. One folk remedy says that tea made with basil and peppercorns will reduce fever. While most herbalists prefer other, more effective herbs, basil is still recommended for a variety of home remedies. The herb is a carmenative, meaning that it relieves gas, and when brewed in tea is said to aid digestion. Basil tea may also be useful for relieving stomach cramps, vomiting and Constipation.

Cascara Sagrada ( Rhamnus purshiana )

History and uses : Used primarily as a laxative, cascara sagrada was first used by North America's native peoples, and is still in use today. The name means "sacred bark" , a reference to the medicinal part of the plant. Cascara sagrada is popular for the relief of constipation, and it is reported to restore the bowel to a healthy tone, making repeated use of the remedy unnecessary. Small doses of tonic prepared from the bark are sometimes taken to ease digestion. Cascara sagrada extracts are found in many over-the-counter preparations. The bark is considered safe when aged for at least a year, however it should never be used by pregnant women.

Chamomile ( Matricaria chamomilla )

History and uses : A soothing cup of chamomile tea has long been a popular way to take the edge off a long, hard day. Indeed, some studies have shown the herb to be an effective mild sedative, and so it has been used to combat insomnia. To get the strongest possible effects, the tea should be steeped in a closed vesel for at least ten minutes.

Chamomile has a number of other uses as well. The oil of chamomile is sometimes prepared as an extract, which, when applied to the skin, may help reduce inflammations, and thereby alleviate the pain of arthritis. The extract may also be used to heal wounds.

When taken internally, chamomile is said to aid digestion and relieve menstrual cramps, as well as settle acute stomach upset. This variety of chamomile, Matricaria chamomilla, is know as German chamomile. A related plant, Roman chamomile (anthemis nobilis), is less common but has similar effects. Both plants have feathery green leaves and delicate daisy-like flowers that, when crushed, give off a faint scent reminiscent of apples. And both grow along roadsides, in meadows and other abandoned places.

Cinnamon ( Cinnamomum zeylaicum )

History and uses : Cinnamon is a common ingredient in folk remedies for colds, flatulence, nausea and vomiting. It has been shown to be carminative (releasing gas in the stomach and intestines), and so is useful for settling an upset stomach and for alleviating diarrhea. Cinnamon has also been used as a treatment to stimulate the appetites of anorexics. Consumers should note that the variety of cinnamon available for home use is actually derived from cassia bark. It is a related species and is said to produce similar effects.

Just had my surgery on Tuesday the 26th...I am miserable with gas! It's in my chest right now. I have been eating gas x like candy...and walking! I'm going to try the heating pad tonight...I think if I could let out one big burp I would be in Heaven. My dr said that most of the gas should leave after your first bowel movement...not true @ all...had it--still have the gas! Wish me luck! Thanks for all of the advice.

Just had my surgery on Tuesday the 26th...I am miserable with gas! It's in my chest right now. I have been eating gas x like candy...and walking! I'm going to try the heating pad tonight...I think if I could let out one big burp I would be in Heaven. My dr said that most of the gas should leave after your first bowel movement...not true @ all...had it--still have the gas! Wish me luck! Thanks for all of the advice.

I was banded on the 26th too and on the 27th.....around noon...... I sat on the toilet and stayed there until I had a movement and started passing gas.....and from that point on I've been a farting machine.....finally got the left shoulder pain to stop.....I've walked aroung two different malls in the last two days too.....trying to do a minumum of a mile a day.......

I havent been banded yet, but i was wondering if walking on the treadmill at the gym would be ok, or will i be offending people! LOL! Are you guys walking and the gas is coming out right then. I mean I'm just saying? LOL :(

I was banded on the 26th too and on the 27th.....around noon...... I sat on the toilet and stayed there until I had a movement and started passing gas.....and from that point on I've been a farting machine.....finally got the left shoulder pain to stop.....I've walked aroung two different malls in the last two days too.....trying to do a minumum of a mile a day.......