Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone devloped kidney stones post op?

I have developed a 4mm kidney stone that, so far, I have been unable to pass. I know that since surgery I have not consumed Water as I should. When I feel thirsty, I know my body is already dehydrated. The pain associated with a kidney stone is unlike anything I've ever experienced (and I'm tough as an old boot)! It was suggested that I drink 2 cups of water each waking hour....I'm not sure this is possible with lapband. :faint:

Any suggestions would be welcome!

dreamer,

that sounds terrible--have you called the dr? is there anything else they can give you for pain? what about getting the stone out? i don't know anything about kidney stones--other than that they are severely painful.

just wanted you to know that people are listening--wish i could offer more than a shoulder to cry on.

feel better soon!

girlin

nyc

I read on Obesityhelp. com that kidney stones are not directly related to the lap band. However, Dehydration plays a big part in it. The Urinologist states "Usually in your body there were probably some other things in the body that made conditions for kidney stones perfect, then after surgery, you didn't drink very much and was probably dehydrated.".

I think drinking plenty of Water, as much as you can would be the best thing for you.

I have never had kidney stones, but I hear they are the worst thing ever. So I really feel for you.

:sick Thanks for the words of encouragement girlinnnc and Tonya in Oklahoma.

Yes Girl, I did contact my doctor and he advised that I get my hiney to ER ..which I did! I know this is not directly related to my lapband, it's my own darn fault. I just cannot drink a full glass of Water like I used to, and I cannot drink with meals. I am paying dearly for this neglect to my body's need and it is a lesson I won't soon forget.

And as you are fast approaching your surgery date, may I wish you the best. It is so easy to forget that the surgery is just a tool....what we do with it and how we use it is up to us as individuals.

Good luck to you as well Tonya ( from one Okie to another). You ladies don't forget to sip and sip and sip your Water. I had hoped that others might learn from my mistake when I posted this thread. Keep us updated on your progress!

Happy New Year to you both. And once again...thanks for your thoughts! Dreamer

Oh dear. I just responded to the great prospects for my IBS. Now this. I just spent about 7 days in the emergency room, at doctors' offices, having tests done after trying to pass a 1 cm kidney stone that was just perched at the exit from the kidney. As far as anyone knows, it's still there. Now I drink lots of Water. I gulp Water 2 cups at a time, and am worried about my abillity to just sip and get enough in a day. I even have a Nikken filter bottle!

I have a referral to have another kidney function test after the banding surgery. I hope I can follow that up again to be sure this doesn't cause problems.

Sivan

Dreamer,

Glad you're better! gee, i hope i'm able to DRINK well, after the surgery monday. gulp.

And Sivan--that sounds like an ORDEAL--i hope you are better.

What are the treatments for kidney stones these days?? that is a pain i hope never to feel--and my heart goes out to you both. i have heard that it is one of the most terrible pains you can feel.

get well soon!

girlin

nyc

I had kidney stones about a month after surgery. It just hit all of the sudden one day. I spent several hours at home in pain (because I thought it was my band and it would pass), then took a quick ambulance ride and about 6 hours in the ER. The doc said that fluids would help them pass. I was throwing up, hyperventilating and had the shakes really bad and couldn't get anything down. Next came the IV and dilodid. The dilodid really calmed me down and made my body relax and the many bags of IV fluids helped them pass.

I have a Water bottle with me almost all the time. I have a 40 ounce bottle at work that I know I have to finish before I go home and then I have to finish another 40 ounces before I go to bed at night. I can't drink cold Water too fast, but I can really suck room temperature water down just like I did pre-band.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

I got them twice after surgrey but I had them once before. I stayed drugged with pain pills and phenegran until they passed each time. I don't wish it on anyone!

:clap2: Agony is over for the most part. I gave birth to the kidney stone right before they were to take me to surgery! Thank God that's over. Childbirth is a breeze compared to that pain! LOL

Water is our friend folks!!! I will do any, and everything I can to make sure I never go through this again. However, the Dr. says once you have a kidney stone.....more tend to follow! I DON'T WANT "EM!!!!!!!:cry :cry

Thanks to you all for the kind words and support! You people are just great!! I may slosh when I walk, but considering the alternative, I don't mind. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm out of water! Smilin'

Dreamer

Yaay Dreamer. Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. I was told about the possiblity of recurrence. But....here I am....7 months later and no new stones. (Let me find some wood to knock on). Hopefully, you and I.....and anyone else that has had them, will never get them again.

I also had problems with my kidney's apparently they are very spongy and perfect to produce stones, Ive only had some pain and nausea but NO stones as of yet. He thinks I will get them though, and he says its more from my high Protein diet and the fact Ive put my body through ketosis. I eat NO bread , Pasta, OR RICE and he says I should. I refuse to get this far and have to try to eat that way. PAIN OR NO PAIN. So I expect in the near future to have more pain unless they catch them first as he's tryin to with ultrasound. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OTHERS WITH THIS PROBLEM

OMG, I have been in the hospital for 8 days in the last month with kidney stones. I had never had them before and I've been banded for 5 months. I too, just dont drink much. I had passed three but after the ivp test with the dye they seen one stuck high up had just left the kidney and it was 6 mm. They told me I probably wouldn't be able to pass it but when they told me some of the stuff they may have to do to get it to pass like a stent, I panicked and I read everything I could on how to pass it. I had some of my fill taken out so I could drink more and my pcp said to drink 32 ounces of Water in 5 min. and then don't go pee for at least 30 min. and the weight of all of that would push the stone on down. Well, it worked. I passed it 4 days ago and it was brown and had pokey things all around it. It was the big one. I've been on percocet and loritab 10's since being released and I just got back from the doctor and they said it definitely is linked to being banded. Good luck and pm me if you have any questions, I've posted earlier what all I've been through and it's been pure hell.